ReefCleaners.org

Phatty's 17 Gallon Mixed Reef

phattypeeps

Thanks guys, and I agree Steely about the light. I am pretty picky about light colour and intensity, but I really like the kessil and I am seeing a noticeable improvement in growth.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. I posted a few pics in my mr aqua thread just for color representation. Let me know if you think they seem accurate to you. They are mostly of LPS so they are going to be vibrant under this light but I tried to nail down the color representation of the light.

• 3 weeks later...

lol, you think? I thought about using a canister for a while, and decided against it. I figured if I were to do that I might as well add a sump, and where the tank is located in our apartment those would both be as visually distracting as my in tank and hob equipment. I do have a small frag tank in a storage closet, and when we have guests over I transfer both the skimmer and hob filter/fuge onto the frag tank so that the display tank is a pure glass box of reef. I really do like the hydor skimmer though as it is very minimalist, clean looking and quiet, very much suited to my taste. I should take a picture of the tank without the equipment as it looks really nice that way, I just figured the people on this site like to see the tank as it really functions.

We have bought a new house though and I am thinking of adding a beer bottle to the scape after the move though, I like what you have got going on there!

Why thak you! I am just pulling your leg lol. Have you checked out the MAME nano skimmer? If I didn't have my filter I would've bought that instead, but knowing the MAME overflow cost an arm and a leg it wouldn't surprise me if it were a 100+ bucks,

if you do do the bottle send me a pm to check it out!

I'm curious to check it out!

Why thak you! I am just pulling your leg lol. Have you checked out the MAME nano skimmer? If I didn't have my filter I would've bought that instead, but knowing the MAME overflow cost an arm and a leg it wouldn't surprise me if it were a 100+ bucks,

if you do do the bottle send me a pm to check it out!

I'm curious to check it out!

I have definitely looked for a mame skimmer, they are very clean looking, but I can't find any Canadian suppliers. I think I would have a sump if I could find one as I would get a mame overflow, they look great.

Nice tank, is that natural sunlight coming through (in beginning posts)?

Thanks, yes that is natural sunlight in a lot of the shots, the tank looks great with real sunlight on it and I get really good polyp extension on sunny days.

• 3 months later...
phattypeeps

Its been a while so here are some new pictures. I have a new scape and I have built a new lamp to house my Kessil. Hope you guys like them!

May2012FTS.jpg

setup.jpg

Lamp.jpg

softiecloseup.jpg

peachfrogspawn.jpg

palys-1.jpg

frogspawn.jpg

downlow.jpg

chalice.jpg

TheKingInYellow

Very nice tank, really clean looking. Nice to be able to mix your metalworking skills and reefkeeping skills.

• 2 months later...
phattypeeps

Thanks guys, here is a recent full tank shot.

DSC_0160.jpg

Things are going well with the tank, some of my corals are growing out of control now, anethelia and kenya trees in particular.

I had one recent disappointment though. After successfully keeping a mandarin for several months (feeding him live copepods from a separate culture) I came home to find he had jumped from the tank. I was too late to save him. I hate not knowing what caused the incident, because now I am hesitant to get another one for fear of the same happening in the future.

The lamp is custom, made from stainless steel tubing and sheet stock. I am happy to make custom pieces for people, however the shipping usually makes that unreasonable. I am also happy to share drawings and plans as well, its the kind of thing any metal shop could put together with out much trouble, and those are everywhere.

Deleted User 4

Ahhh I see. Which part of U.S. are you from? If you're in Ca, maybe I can come check it out and maybe pay a price for the same custom stand ahah.

phattypeeps

Haha, I am about as far away as I possibly be from you and still be on the same continent, I am in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Ahhh I see. Which part of U.S. are you from? If you're in Ca, maybe I can come check it out and maybe pay a price for the same custom stand ahah.
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
It has been a long time since I have made a tank thread posting as I have been busy with other activities this past while, so here is my rectification of that.

Our first son is almost a year old now and keeping up with him has kept me from posting or even just spending as much time online, but my tank is still going strong. The first few weeks after Josh was born I was prevented from giving the tank the amount of attention I normally do and I lost several of our most delicate coral. Because of this more equipment like an auto top off and media reactor have been added to make the tank more stable if I have to leave it for several days. These upgrades have made a big difference, along with the addition of an AI Sol Blue light, and I am now thinking of making a change towards a more SPS focused tank.

Here is a video of the tank as of last week.

Since the video the tank has been completely re-scaped. Our little boy Josh is mobile and curious now so the tank has been moved from the living room to the basement until Josh is old enough to understand why he shouldn't lick everything! I took the opportunity at this time to drill the tank and add an overflow and sump as well. Hopefully I will grab some time to add pictures of this new setup as well soon.

Thanks for following!
  • 1 month later...
phattypeeps

Thanks 1.0

Sure JR, here it is.

post-54762-0-12106000-1393771993_thumb.jpg

post-54762-0-08628200-1393772061_thumb.jpg

My tank is no longer in our living room, its living in the mechanical room of our new house until I can finish the basement reno. Once I have created the new family room space I think I will plumb it through the wall like a peninsula setup. But for now I thought why hide the gear when the tank sits between our furnace and oil tank anyway.

I am running the sump lighting on an opposite schedule to the main tank in order to minimize alkalinity swings as best I can since an automatic doser is not in my budget right now. My montipora, pocillipora and digitata are growing very well, and my acros are better than they have ever looked, but I still wouldn't say that I am growing acros as well as I would like to. The water volumes are in the sump and display are close, 17G in the main display and 10G in the sump, but I think the addition of a doser running a two part system is what I need to really tune the system in for acros. I want to wait until I can afford Hanna digital checkers as well because I don't think there is any point in starting a dosing regimen unless I have the ability to measure element levels in my water accurately anyway.

Archived