inTank Media Baskets

Phatty's 17 Gallon Mixed Reef

phattypeeps

Thanks to everyone who helped me research and set up a nano tank while I learn enough to try building a custom Pico tank.

post-54762-0-11694400-1393774645_thumb.jpg

Equipment

17 G Rimless Green Leaf Aquarium (24" x 12" x 16")
TLF reactor running PO4X4 and Carbon
MP10
Finnex 300W heater
Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite

Tunze Nano ATO

HI-Sea SC180 Protien Skimmer
Custom steel stand and lamp

Jebao 5500 DC return pump

10 G Sump

Lighting

AI Sol Blue over main display

Feeding

The fish and mobile inverts are fed pellets twice a day and the corals are fed a mix of coral frenzy freeze dried food, frozen mysis, phytoplankton and oyster eggs daily.

Livestock

fish

clownfish
royal gramma

two spot goby

inverts

red bubble tip anemones, hermit crabs and snails

coral

2 types of frogspawn
5 species of zoas and paly's
4 types of acropora, purple's blues and greens including a Bali tri color
purple digitata
Raspberry millepora
purple gorgonian
2 acans in red blues, and fluorescent green
green pagoda
green pocillipora

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pico_Cube.jpg

what are the measurements? You built it yourself? Looks good. Is that top metal?

I am seriously thinking about getting a couple clown fish. Is that a frogspawn the clown is trying to take to?

• 1 month later...

I have upgraded my lights to Reefbrite LED's. Two 12" fixtures, one white and one actinic so I thought I would add some new pictures.

Here is a full tank shot.

post-54762-1286415608_thumb.jpg

Some of my corals.

post-54762-1286415703_thumb.jpg

post-54762-1286415760_thumb.jpg

post-54762-1286415789_thumb.jpg

post-54762-1286415809_thumb.jpg

post-54762-1286415823_thumb.jpg

post-54762-1286415840_thumb.jpg

post-54762-1286415890_thumb.jpg

Some shots of the stainless hood I built to house my new LED's

post-54762-1286415939_thumb.jpg

post-54762-1286415964_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
phattypeeps

I have made a lot of changes to my setup over the past couple of months. While continuing to work on my 6 G cube display project I have upgraded my main tank. I have transferred most of my livestock from a 30 G tank into a 17 G rimless aquarium from Green Leaf Aquariums. Here are some pics.

This is the new tank cycling on my diy stainless steel stand. I have had lots of comments from local reefers on the negative issues of natural sunlight on the tank, but my frogspawn loves it and I clean the tank regularly to keep algae growth in check.

17_G_small.jpg

Here was my first tank scape attempt in the new tank, I have since changed it and added more sps, I will post more pics soon.

New_Tank_Scape_small.jpg

Here is my new diy Aluminum hood. I have gone with a brushed industrial look on this one rather than the normal polished look. I have two reefbrite 12" led strips under it for my main lighting, one strip with six white 3W led's and the other with six blue.

Hood3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
phattypeeps
Any particular reason why you went with a hood instead of a pendant?

I went with a hood because we live in an apartment, so I don't want to hang anything from the ceiling. I have been toying with the idea lately of building a lamp or fixture to really open up the tank. I keep seeing the new kessil led's online and think I could make a really slick looking housing for them using stainless tubing, but I haven't found anywhere to buy them in Canada yet. I will have to settle for sketching and thinking about it for a little while anyway.

I went with a hood because we live in an apartment, so I don't want to hang anything from the ceiling. I have been toying with the idea lately of building a lamp or fixture to really open up the tank. I keep seeing the new kessil led's online and think I could make a really slick looking housing for them using stainless tubing, but I haven't found anywhere to buy them in Canada yet. I will have to settle for sketching and thinking about it for a little while anyway.

Awesome setup, I love the sleek modern look. I bet if you hide some of the wiring, It would look even better. Your corals seem to be loving the LED lights.

phattypeeps
Awesome setup, I love the sleek modern look. I bet if you hide some of the wiring, It would look even better. Your corals seem to be loving the LED lights.

I absolutely agree about hiding the wires, I think a lot about ways to do that. The corals are a mixed bag, I am still fairly new to this, some are doing better than others. Three are my first ones, the two frogspawn and the pagoda. Lots of others have not made it though. I am still not sure why though. I have lost lots of zoas and a pulsing xenia. They just seem to melt away, while I have some sps that seem to be doing fine. I think a mystery crab I see fleeting glimpses of might be to blame. I think he might be eating softies at night. I haven't figured out a way to catch him yet.

phattypeeps
Hey man, where'd you get the stand? Mind PM'ing me? I'm not here often enough...

The stand is custom. My family owns a mechanical contracting firm with a full metal shop so I made the stand with the help of a journeyman metal worker.

I would be happy to send you drawings if you wanted, I am sure any metal shop can fabricate something similar for you without too much trouble if you had drawings and a photo for them.

PM'd

• 1 month later...
I made a short vid of my tank. If anyone has any tips on filming nano reefs under LED's it would be greatly appreciated, I am having trouble and can't seem to get a shot that doesn't appear washed out.

Thanks,

http://www.youtube.com/user/phattypeeps?feature=mhum

Its really hard to do, and without much knowhow with the digital camera's video settings, I was never able to do it well with my LEDs. That said, its still a cool vid. Love the shrimp :D.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
phattypeeps
Pics were promised. Where are they fingerscrossed?

Sorry about that, I have been away on vacation and am trying to catch up on lots, including my 5 Gallon pico build. I am happy with my MP10, but run it on a very low setting as it has more than enough power for my tank. Here are some recent pictures, new fish are on their way, I should have some new ones with clean glass soon as well!

full tank shot

FTS0811.jpg

some coral and my anemone

CG.jpg

my first and favourite coral, my frog spawn

FS0811.jpg

After my disaster with velvet the tank has been without fish for 11 weeks now. The positive to come out of this is that now I have a quarantine tank, and today I added a new yellow tail damsel to the tank, so here are some more pics.

fulltankshot.jpg

latest full tank shot

frogspawnandzoas.jpg

frogspawn and zoas

palys.jpg

palys and purple digitata

maximininem.jpg

maxi mini nem

coralbandedshrimp.jpg

coral banded shrimp

acans.jpg

acans

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks great. You can tell the LEDs are making it a bit hard to get the pictures right but you can tell the pop it's giving. I'm looking forward to my kessil arriving Wednesday.

Thanks, hope you like yours as well, I am a big fan so far.

Looks great. You can tell the LEDs are making it a bit hard to get the pictures right but you can tell the pop it's giving. I'm looking forward to my kessil arriving Wednesday.

Finally got my kessil. Love that light. So much more impressed with the light than I thought I would be and it's by no means dim.

Archived