Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Opaquelace tank thread (12gNC with MH upgrade)

opaquelace

Glad things are going well with this tank and congrats on the new additions. I really want a green frogspawn too. The one you are talking about is gorgeous, I know. :D

Naked clown called Jenna Jameson.... :lol:

I was looking at the tank they now have it in and there were several bud babies on the sand. I wanted to buy one, but I figured it would be too fragile, then I saw the almost 7 headed one. I was expecting it to be extremely expensive, but it was $40. Compared to my old LFS, that is extremely cheap for such a vibrant colored frogspawn.

They have Picasso clowns arriving in July too, since they finally managed to get an account with ORA. They only ordered two though, and I think they are already promised. I love my naked clown though.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I have a tank :lol:

I didn't come to nano-reef by some chance, I was researching. :P

Edit: You thought I was just a lounger even though in my sig it clearly says "My Tank Thread"? :lol:

i guess the mermaid and the dancing mario brothers distract me from seeing that :slap::)

The dancing Mario Brothers thing is kinda distracting! But cute too.

I guess I really need to make a visit to RW soon.... But I'm going broke. :tears:

I have some good news and photos of my newest addition, but I have some bad news too. I wish I had gotten a picture to show of the frogspawn I had gotten, but I thought I would let it adjust for a few days. Well, it was opening up in my tank on the first day, and was looking happy. When I woke up on day two, I found slashes and gouges along the fleshy base, and there were tentacles floating around. I was extremely upset. Today, it was looking extremely bad and two of the heads were sliming and disappearing. I'm extremely pi$$ed that my hermit crab would do something of the sort. I lost an open brain coral to some tissue damage I had associated with the shipping, but I'm beginning to think I have a nasty nasty unsafe coral picker. Nothing else would explain the massive amount of damage done to not one, not two, but 6 of the 7 heads of my frogspawn. I'm extremely disappointed, and considering the luck I've had with coral lately I am not going to buy anything other than shrooms and rics until August.

In better news, I have pics of Jenna Jameson (or JJ). I was worried about her for the first day because she appeared stressed, but she ate on day one, and she chowed down like a pig today. I'm so happy, she is finally starting to race to the top of the tank when I approach expecting food. I guess because I fed her slowly to get her used to me. Just two pellets at a time twice on the first day, three times today.

Here is a pic. Not the best one, but she has taken to hosting the tupperware that is housing my unhitched rics and shrooms. I tried to tease her up towards the top of the tank, but she suspected me of tomfoolery the second I turned my back. Here she is!

DSC_0185.jpg

Edit: Pardon the spots of algae.

Ice picks work great for killing unwanted crabs that are hiding in the rocks, also the middle of the night seems to be the best time for hunting them. Good luck.

JJ looks great, but sorry about the frogspawn. :(

I was so upset I wanted to cry, because it looked especially beautiful with my 20k MH. I can't kill the crab though, he's just going to be brought to Reef World with strict NOT REEF SAFE instructions. I've had him since he was a wee thing, and now he's huge, so the hermit is going back to the store, to be sold to someone with a FOWLR.

:tears:

What kind of hermit crab is it?

And do any of the damaged frog heads look like they're going to make it?

None of it looks like it's going to make it. I noticed some tissue damage on the 7th head a little while ago. I broke two heads off because they were completely sliming and I didn't want it to land on JJ or on my rics/shrooms. It looks horrible. It looks like Jack the Ripper got to it, and not my Gary :tears:

He was sold to me as an "assorted reef hermit crab." He's green and yellow and black, but he's got one claw bigger than the other and I heard that is bad, so back to the store he goes.

So I had a photo shoot with Jenna Jameson today. She was quite frisky and wanting to be fed the second she saw me awake this morning. She nibbles on my fingers now, which is quite strange to tell you the truth, but I guess she got used to my fingers pushing her pellets down. She has now taken to moving inside the tupperware instead of just hosting the outside of it. She frequently went back into hiding during the photoshoot, but I got some interesting shots I think. They didn't come out as clear as I wanted them to, but I can only do so much with a shaky hand. Thanks for looking :D

P.S. She is the most camera crazy fish I have ever had. Hopefully she won't go to the seedy side of Hollywood like her namesake if she likes the taste of fame too much.

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

A clownfish hosting tupperware... that's an interesting one! Great pics, what camera are you using? If you want sharper pics, try bumping up the ISO to 400 or so. :)

opaquelace
A clownfish hosting tupperware... that's an interesting one! Great pics, what camera are you using? If you want sharper pics, try bumping up the ISO to 400 or so. :)

Isn't it funny? I'm wondering what she will do once I take it out after I glue all my rics to the rocks. I've never been this attached to a fish before, not even Sean Connery...but he didn't like me much. I do miss him though...I think I might just have to get another YWG.

I'm using a Nikon D70 I think? I don't know. I took it from my mom so I could snap some pics today...and I don't think it goes over 300 on the macro lens either...I'm not camera savvy.

The ISO is the sensitivity to light. The higher the ISO, the faster the shutter speed with be. On the flip side, the higher it goes, the more noise appears in the image. If you can find the ISO options, probably in the menus, and raise it to 400 (if it's not already there), you should be able to get faster shutter speeds. :)

Nevertheless, a very enjoyable set of fish pix! What a character! I really enjoy stories of fish/owner interaction like this. Congrats on getting such a great little fishie!

--Diane

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks guys :D

She's still happy as pie! We haven't had a photoshoot lately, but I intend to. Her color is so dramatically orange it's astounding. I'm getting ready to leave tomorrow for a week in Florida though, which means my boyfriend will be stopping by every 2 days to top off, feed, and make sure nothing is leaking or funking up the tank with decaying bits.

What part of FLA you coming to?

Destin. The same place I've been going to since I can remember really. Know of any good reef shops around there?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

its morph called a naked clown... you can buy them from ORA i believe... some times LFS will get them in with orders... ive seen one in person but didnt buy it cause i already have a pair and didnt want to upset the tank... thats a cute fish, i love its hosting a tupperware container

Well my clownfish is still holding on even without power for more than 24 hours due to Gustav. To tell the truth she doesn't even seem stressed out. She ate two pellets today...and the battery pump seems to be doing its job. My zoas look a little shriveled...but nothing terrible.

its morph called a naked clown... you can buy them from ORA i believe... some times LFS will get them in with orders... ive seen one in person but didnt buy it cause i already have a pair and didnt want to upset the tank... thats a cute fish, i love its hosting a tupperware container

Yep...apparently they are only available to commercial dealers though. They don't sell to individuals. My LFS owner said it was a pain in the butt getting an account set up with them, but it was well worth it. She doesn't order morphs from them often, but when she does they never last long.

Edit: by last long I mean they sell quickly lol.

Archived