inTank Media Baskets

Opaquelace tank thread (12gNC with MH upgrade)

opaquelace

So I finally FINALLY have pictures that I feel are good enough to go in the Member's Aquarium section. I am so proud!

Here is my, as of right now unnamed, true perc.

DSC_0028.jpg?t=1192039193

DSC_0035.jpg?t=1192039235

Here is my YWG, name of Sean Connery.

DSC_0043.jpg?t=1192040037

My "green" discos...they are more blue now that they've been in my tank for about a month.

DSC_0053.jpg?t=1192040106

My fluorescent green shroom...my first every coral that now has a baby on a hermit shell

under actinics...the coralline looks really strange

DSC_0017.jpg?t=1192040415

normal

DSC_0022.jpg?t=1192040596

And finally my FL rics

DSC_0056.jpg?t=1192040841

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!! B)B)B)

FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!!FULL TANK SHOT !!! B)B)B)

:lol: How could have I forgotten?!?! Pardon me while I go do that.

Beautiful tank, I have always been a clown fan!

Will this be a mushroom only tank??

Be careful with the cheato out like that. It will attach to your rockwork and is impossible to get off, except with tweezers.

Buy a little soap dish and store the cheato in that.

RED

WOW. That's a lot of chaeto in there. WOW that is a small clown. WOW WOW that is a beautiful tank.
Haha...yes it is a lot of chaeto. It EXPLODED this past week so the ball on the right is going to my LFS. And yes that is a VERY small clown (my tank is only 12G) but isn't he sooo cute?!?! Thanks for the compliment too...I know it doesn't compare to half the tanks on here...but it's a start and my pride and joy. I've had really good luck with my tank too...I've never had a cyano outbreak in nearly four months *knock on hard wood*.
Beautiful tank, I have always been a clown fan!Will this be a mushroom only tank??Be careful with the cheato out like that. It will attach to your rockwork and is impossible to get off, except with tweezers. Buy a little soap dish and store the cheato in that. RED
Thanks! It won't be a mushroom only tank. I only just upgraded my lights (even though I've had the whole system for a few months) so I only felt comfortable keeping mushrooms since they are hardy and don't need intense light. I didn't want to spend big bucks on a beautiful piece that required more light than what I have and then have it die on me because of my tank's inadequacies. Now though I've been looking for more corals but haven't found any except for at an LFS I'm not particularly enthusiastic about because of the snooty employees. As for the chaeto...I've been meaning to get the soap dish but I haven't found one small enough yet. I also turn the chaeto about every two days so that all of it gets flow and so it doesn't stick to the LR.
Haha...yes it is a lot of chaeto. It EXPLODED this past week so the ball on the right is going to my LFS. And yes that is a VERY small clown (my tank is only 12G) but isn't he sooo cute?!?! Thanks for the compliment too...I know it doesn't compare to half the tanks on here...but it's a start and my pride and joy. I've had really good luck with my tank too...I've never had a cyano outbreak in nearly four months *knock on hard wood*. Thanks! It won't be a mushroom only tank. I only just upgraded my lights (even though I've had the whole system for a few months) so I only felt comfortable keeping mushrooms since they are hardy and don't need intense light. I didn't want to spend big bucks on a beautiful piece that required more light than what I have and then have it die on me because of my tank's inadequacies. Now though I've been looking for more corals but haven't found any except for at an LFS I'm not particularly enthusiastic about because of the snooty employees. As for the chaeto...I've been meaning to get the soap dish but I haven't found one small enough yet. I also turn the chaeto about every two days so that all of it gets flow and so it doesn't stick to the LR.

Awesome, looking forward to seeing what other corals you decide to add to your tank.

I had problems locating a small soap dish as well, ended up finding a tiny one at home depot of all places.

RED

Awesome, looking forward to seeing what other corals you decide to add to your tank.

I had problems locating a small soap dish as well, ended up finding a tiny one at home depot of all places.

RED

I'll have to look there... Everyone on here screams TARGET when you ask where to get one but I've been unlucky there so far.

I'll have to look there... Everyone on here screams TARGET when you ask where to get one but I've been unlucky there so far.

Haha I did the same thing, Target didn't have s*@t for me either. Randomly came across the one at home depot. (will only hold one bar of soap, but on its edge not laying down, pretty small)

RED

Wow, I really like it!!!

I like the clown, like the overall look of the tank, and I really like the blue disco mushrooms!!!

Let me know if you'd ever be interested in trading some babies of this:

DSCN0887.jpg

for one of your blue discos.

Keep up the good work, and keep the photo's coming!

Its so purrrrrrrrrrrrty!!!! Good Job!! one quick question, If you dont have a sump (which i dont yet) it's safe to just put the chaeto in the tank directly as long as you keep it under control?

Wow, I really like it!!!

I like the clown, like the overall look of the tank, and I really like the blue disco mushrooms!!!

Let me know if you'd ever be interested in trading some babies of this:

DSCN0887.jpg

for one of your blue discos.

Keep up the good work, and keep the photo's coming!

Thank you very much for the kind words! I love my blue discos too...and they have bright yellow/almost green mouths. I got them off of sealifeinc.net and I ordered 2 but got 4 (one of which my YWG has stolen for his house decor). I would be interested in trading but I've never shipped before...and it's a scary prospect haha...

Its so purrrrrrrrrrrrty!!!! Good Job!! one quick question, If you dont have a sump (which i dont yet) it's safe to just put the chaeto in the tank directly as long as you keep it under control?

Thank you! I don't have a sump or a refugium so I keep the chaeto in the main tank...it grows a lot but as long as you keep it under control. The ball on the right is the ball that is going to my LFS tomorrow because it has grown so much recently. This is the first time I've had to divide it and I've had it for about a month and a half so it's definitely not uncontrollable.

Thank you very much for the kind words! I love my blue discos too...and they have bright yellow/almost green mouths. I got them off of sealifeinc.net and I ordered 2 but got 4 (one of which my YWG has stolen for his house decor). I would be interested in trading but I've never shipped before...and it's a scary prospect haha...

sealifeinc has good stuff for great prices, I really like Ken.

Shipping is one of those things that sounds scary til you actually do it, and then you're like, "Pfft, what was I so worried about???"!

I wouldn't mind telling you how, it's really not that bad, and with mushies you can ship Priority.

sealifeinc has good stuff for great prices, I really like Ken. Shipping is one of those things that sounds scary til you actually do it, and then you're like, "Pfft, what was I so worried about???"!I wouldn't mind telling you how, it's really not that bad, and with mushies you can ship Priority.
Thanks!I got my ricordeas from the assorted oddball listing on sealifeinc.net and I was extremely happy. I got two instead of one and they are both really vibrant in color.I guess the reason it scares me is because I live in a small town and the postal service is kind of...eh... I'll have to see if I can find the one my YWG stole and then get a picture of it.
Excellent aquascaping job! Post more pictures as you add things.
I definitely will...I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to see what they have and I might buy a few things. I'm terribly excited! I need some new additions.

a couple suggestions:

1. get the chaeto out of the main display... no matter how hard you try, it will still eventaully attatch to the rock somewhere and then it will become a big headache.

2. forget the soapdish, its so easy to make a refugium out of one of the back chambers... just take out all of the bioballs (take out 1/3 of them every week if you are concerned until they are all gone) if you haven't already, replace them with small pieces of LR rubble, then use a razor blade to scrape the black vinyl stuff off the back of the tank right behind the middle filter chamber, buy the corallife FRESHWATER light fixture(its the tiny one for only like $20 bucks) and *KAPOOF*... instant refugium without the unsightliness of the soapdish or the risk of having the chaeto attatch to your rock... it will also be a great place to grow pods.

3. you should try some easy leather corals next... maybe a nice sized toadstool and maybe some finger leather... if your parameters are good you could try some xenia... GSP would look great in there too. once you feel comfortable then maybe try some LPS... an open brain or maybe an Anchor Coral or a frogspawn maybe... take it slow and you will be fine... you are already off to a great start.

a couple suggestions:

1. get the chaeto out of the main display... no matter how hard you try, it will still eventaully attatch to the rock somewhere and then it will become a big headache.

2. forget the soapdish, its so easy to make a refugium out of one of the back chambers... just take out all of the bioballs (take out 1/3 of them every week if you are concerned until they are all gone) if you haven't already, replace them with small pieces of LR rubble, then use a razor blade to scrape the black vinyl stuff off the back of the tank right behind the middle filter chamber, buy the corallife FRESHWATER light fixture(its the tiny one for only like $20 bucks) and *KAPOOF*... instant refugium without the unsightliness of the soapdish or the risk of having the chaeto attatch to your rock... it will also be a great place to grow pods.

3. you should try some easy leather corals next... maybe a nice sized toadstool and maybe some finger leather... if your parameters are good you could try some xenia... GSP would look great in there too. once you feel comfortable then maybe try some LPS... an open brain or maybe an Anchor Coral or a frogspawn maybe... take it slow and you will be fine... you are already off to a great start.

I've been wanting a neon green toadstool leather but have been having trouble finding some. I absolutely love the look of it. As for making a refugium...don't really want to. Doing stuff like that makes me really nervous and I don't feel it's necessary at this moment. If it ever does become necessary I'll look into it more. I have pods already...but my YWG likes them a bunch so I haven't seen that many since I got him. Do you know of anyone who has a neon green toadstool they want to sell?

BustytheSnowMaam
I've been wanting a neon green toadstool leather but have been having trouble finding some. I absolutely love the look of it. As for making a refugium...don't really want to. Doing stuff like that makes me really nervous and I don't feel it's necessary at this moment. If it ever does become necessary I'll look into it more. I have pods already...but my YWG likes them a bunch so I haven't seen that many since I got him. Do you know of anyone who has a neon green toadstool they want to sell?

If you give me some time I can make a baby for you...neon toadie, that is :)

If you give me some time I can make a baby for you...neon toadie, that is :)

Hahaha...that would be perfect actually. I'm in no rush.

the tank looks great! how's that 4.24 lighting kit workin out?

It's awesome...I love it! Believe it or not I just got it set up yesterday...took a LONG while haha, but at least it's up!

Beautiful tank & pics! So colorful and clean! Great job!

IME, a ball-o'-chaeto does fine loose in a tank. I had one behind my LR for at least a year...it finally filled in the space so thoroughly that I felt I ought to remove it to restore some flow to the back of the tank...

It sat in a deli container of SW on my counter for a long time till I found a soap dish small enough for my 5.5g at WalMart...

The only chaeto that ever attached to my rock were little (say 1 - 2") single shreds that broke off the main clump. But the clump itself never attached.

--Diane

Archived