SaltCritters.com

My custom 70g

shao-lin nano

shao-lin nano

Soon it'll be time to leave the All-In-One forum and move into the Large Reefs forum :D

My current but soon to be old tank: Far from stock 24g NanoCube

I'll first share what I've been working on for the past few months and what I want to accomplish.

The Tank

• Standard glass 70g 34"x22"x22" with black trim
  • External overflow/calfo overflow hybrid
  • probably faux BB sandbed

The Lighting

• 2x250MH in ReefOptix3 pendant reflector
  • PC supplementation, contemplating T5s
  • Moonlight with phase controller

Water Movement

• OM SS with Iwaki 70RLT closed loop
  • Eheim 1260 return pump from sump
  • QO4000HH closed loop to chiller

Other Equipment

• K2R Calcium Reactor W/ 5# tank
  • ASM G2 w/ gate valve mod
  • Heaters
  • DIY Glass Sump
  • RODI mechanical ATO (Kent)
  • 1/5HP JBJ Chiller
  • Refractometer
  • Reefkeeper 1 to be upgraded to Reefkeeper2 or some other controller

Stocking Wishlist

A little of everything!

I bought an attractive TV stand from Target as a stand and of course it's not strong enough to hold a 70g tank and all the other misc equipment being rated for ~150lbs. Being a DIYer I retrofitted the stand with steel U-bars and 2x4s with a steel plate on top.

77abee0b.jpg

CIMG2232.jpg

steel4.jpg

The hood will be suspended over the tank using rectangular steel tubes with drawer sliders so it can slide back and forth. It'll also have hinges where it bends so it can flip up also. Hopefully I can hide all the wiring inside the tubing.

4.jpg

3.jpg

That's about it for now...probably won't have any updates for a while.

^^I love the look of this setup!! Very sleek looking The idea for the lights using drawer sliders sounds interesting. Good Luck.

shao-lin nano

Thanks. The concept of sliding lights is used alot, I've also seen a sliding canopy that sits flush against the top of the tank. Just copying what I've seen and using it on my setup.

shao-lin nano

The program is from Google called sketch up. It's free to download. I learned how to use it in just a few minutes following the tutorial. Really fun to use.

what do you plan on putting in the space between the bottom of the tank and the top of the tv stand?

and why not just 1x400W hqi?

any why no updates?

looks like youre already getting things done!

shao-lin nano

I have baskets that'll hold misc equipment and test kits. I got those custom made to fit the space too...haha.

I never thought about a single 400WMH...might have to keep it high up to get an even spread. I'm bent on dual 250 and have the reflectors for it already.

As far as updates...the pics show what I'vd done so far but progress will be slow...what you see took me like 3 or 4 month to slowly work on.

I've gathered about 80% of all the equipment. I got most of it slightly used for good deals and looking for more...some things work fine used and others I prefer new so that process is slow too.

I'll share as much as possible along the way.

shao-lin nano

It is sweet. After I did that tutorial on the house I moved straight to my tank! :D

I've seen people draw some nice skimmers too and skinned their woodwork. I just know how to draw shapes and "expand" them into 3-d...enough to draw a tank B)

shao-lin nano

Okay, I had to draw one too. It should be pretty accurate of an ASM G2 since I measured it before drawing :D

Only problem is that I have the free version and the follow me tool can only be used on a trial basis...I guess you need the full version for it.

Any one know where I may get a full version ;) *nudge nudge*

G2.jpg

Pump and Gate Valve mod to be added later.

shao-lin nano

Nice one Travis!

Did you use the follow me tool for the cone?

I think in an actual skimmer you would want the vertical tube from the pump to be as low as possible to give bubbles maximum contact time inside the water column.

Drawing these makes me want to make one for reals now :)

This looks like its going to be a nice tank....Are you going to use a sump? How much room do you have for onein that stand?

shao-lin nano

Ya, theys going to be a sump...there's not much room though. With the space available there'll be about 20g total volume. I could make it bigger but then maintaince will be difficult with even less space. That's why I'm going to run the RODI directly into the sump and not an ATO resivor to save space. Sump, CO2 tank, Reactor will be in stand.

I'll probably only have less than 15g of volume in sump to account for power outage siphons.

Archived