Innovative Marine Aquariums

[Custom] jeremai

jeremai

The livestock is coming from a guy out of Puget Sound I tracked down on a Yahoo! group.

It will be cramped, but that is easier to do in a temperate tank than a tropical one; no chemical warfare, higher oxygenation levels, more forgiving livestock.

I have the temp at 56F.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all, very cool project. Just thought I'd share a pic of a strawberry anemone I saw while diving in a reserve in norcal called girstle cove. It was full of them! This guy was like AT LEAST 9" across. Cant wait to see how big your's gets.

post-13391-1163149881_thumb.jpg

The livestock is coming from a guy out of Puget Sound I tracked down on a Yahoo! group.

It will be cramped, but that is easier to do in a temperate tank than a tropical one; no chemical warfare, higher oxygenation levels, more forgiving livestock.

I have the temp at 56F.

jeremai, isn't 56 a little low? i thought temperate tanks were generally run around 60.

are you going to get any fish?

lookin awesome man... i think you'll be fine with the livestock... cold water can definitely handle more density/bioload from what i've read.

Thanks for the photo, surferdan!

Charlie97L, the guy who sent me the stuff keeps his tank at 56, and the water temp in Puget Sound where the livestock comes from is usually in the 40s. The only places I know where stuff lives in the 60s is Southern California and off the Australian Coast. Since I don't have anything from either, the lower temp works well. Perhaps a gruint sculpin later on, maybe a catalina goby to see how it does at a lower temperature - but with all the anemones I'm planning, there won't be much swimming room.

Adin, the chiller comes on for about five minutes, every twenty minutes or so. The room is at 82 because of my other tanks, so it's trying to keep a 25 degree pull-down.

I Take Pictures, I'm working on getting some more rock; they guy is sending the anemones attached to rocks, so I want to make sure I have room for everything.

Ok, some better shots. I haven't even bothered to narrow down the species for the anemones - but there are two types of Urticina and one Metridium. The last photo is a mystery - I had thought it to be a macroalgae, but now I'm leaning toward a bryozoan of some sort.

Urticina felina (left), Urticina capricornis (right):

11-10-06-1.jpg

Urticina felina:

11-10-06-2.jpg

Metridium spp. (possibly M. senile):

11-10-06-3.jpg

Bryozoan; won't get it any more succinct than that:

11-10-06-4.jpg

I Take Pictures
TI Take Pictures, I'm working on getting some more rock; they guy is sending the anemones attached to rocks, so I want to make sure I have room for everything.

Alright, sounds awesome. This tank is gonna be something really different when its all finished.

Scallop has gone to the little reef in the sky.

A big, scaly red blob turned out to be a colony of hydroids that just started to 'bloom' - I'll get some photos when they're less shy. Anyone know anything about the biology of hydroids? :scarry:

The red anemone looks like a snake lock anemone. They spit babies out there mouth if im not mistaken. This tank rocks man,my local public aquarium has the sickest cold water displays and ive always wanted to try one out.A few places up the coast here you could get anemones right of the pillars of the docks.

Cant wait to see this tank develope.

Archived