SaltCritters.com

UPDATE of my 10 gallon kithcen nano

Brooklyn Johnny

I love your tank, and hate you at the same time... how is that possible? just kidding :) It looks beautiful man.. I'm very jealous... so jealous, I'm going to go drown myself in my own tank.... ...

GREAT looking tank Brooklyn Johny!

Do you notice much condensation inside the cupboard with the refugium? Also, it's nice to see those SPS under the 36W PC's you've got--how well would you say they're doing? What about growth rates? Any problems with the SPS or clams in particular under this lighting setup?

Keep us updated!

Great tank!

I am in DC, and am thinking about setting up a nano (I HAVE too, now that I won the scavenger hunt).

Which of the local shops have you dealt with, particularly for your live rock and other stock, or are you ordering online?

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks all very much... it's nice to receive complements and intelligent feedback and questions, as opposed to "what are you doing with clams in a 10 gallon!!??" :D

Anyway... skylsdale, we are renting the apartment that we are in, so I decided not to drill through the cupboard for the plumbing, which forces there to always be a small crack open, even when I have them shut. I have the desk fan over the refugium, which was necessary as my temp was peaking over 82, whcih is where I draw the line. I think because of all the air movement, I have never seen any effects of condensation. As for the sps, it all depends what you consider "doing well". They have nice color, are growing slowly, and have great polyp extension at night. They are obviously a lot slower growing than under halides, but I prefer slower growing, as it is enough to keep up with the growth in such a small tank. I don't believe they're are any problems regarding the sps and clams in this tank, but I do want to say I feed a lot of phytoplankton. This is not to directly feed the corals, but it starts the food chain off, and adds life to the refugium. The President of my reef club cultures his own "green water," and is up to 1 liter a day feeding his 30 gallon! One thig I am going to start feeding is live freshly hatched brine shrimp, as I now have that orange non-photosynthetic gorgonian. anyway, I will keep you updated...

And Matt... I need to tell you about the local reef club, WAMAS (Washington Area Marine Aquarist Society), as I have gotten so many frags from members (most for free). It's a great resource too. The website is www.wamas.org. Check it out, as it lists local stores. I recommend "The Marine Scene" in Herndon, VA for small quantities of live rock. Let me know if you're interested in joining...

Thanks again all...

SeaMountain

Emeril says, "Hello to all my friends back in Fall River, Mass! Grab the garlic and the Trinity Mom! Tonight we're cooking up a little Watchman Goby and Squamosa Clam! BAM!!! Say hello to Doc Gibbs and the Boys! They're in da HOUSE!!!

Hey we're cooking live here so don't go away - we'll be right back!!! Hit it Doc!!!"

Sweet loving tank there Brooklyn Johnny! Now I have something to shoot for. Nicely done. I can only imagine what your 180 will look like. There's a 90g sitting in my storage 'cause of the same rental dilemma you're having.

Great descriptions on your setup too.

With a name like Brooklyn Johnny, you GOTTA be a Boss fan! ;)

I grew up in Joisey and then moved west. Joisey Rocks my man! B) Or at least used to back in the late 70's!!! LMAO :D

Brooklyn Johnny

Hey Seamountain thanks... isn't everybody a Boss fan? I'm still waiting for giant clams to be the theme ingredient on The Iron Chef.

I was born in Brooklyn, grew up in Passaic County... now live in VA... you could take the boy out of Brooklyn, but never Brooklyn out of the boy...

As for Jersey rockin in the late 70s... considering I was born in '77 I couldn't really tell you... anyway thanks again...

Wigguh Noony

I was going to ask the samething.. There has to be grease, oil, and spagetti sauce splashings... ???

The cookie sheet sounds like it would help...a little.

Brooklyn Johnny

I'm Italian and cook about 99% of things with garlic, so any splashings that do make it probably benefit the tank... honestly though the cookie sheet does it...

BustytheSnowMaam

Love it! Had to laugh, I have a "kitchen nano" too- doesn't look quite as nice as yours, as I have only zoos and softies (been too afraid to try much else). I agree that you can make it look like more than a ten if you do it right.

Tasha

I'm 1977 Brooklyn born, Jersey transplanted too. Apparently that's a formula that can't go wrong. We rock.

What bulbs are you running? I really like the color rendition you have, and I'm about ready to replace mine.

Brooklyn Johnny

Hey Satchmo that's a hell of a coincidence... I'm running one 10k 36 watter up front and an actinic 36 watter towards the back, both from hellolights.com. The fixture itself is from ahsupply.com. I really like the color too, although if I could do it again I would run both bulbs off of seperate ballasts so I could run the actinic alone in the morning and at night...

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Brooklyn Johnny

And Matt... I need to tell you about the local reef club, WAMAS (Washington Area Marine Aquarist Society), as I have gotten so many frags from members (most for free). It's a great resource too. The website is www.wamas.org. Check it out, as it lists local stores. I recommend "The Marine Scene" in Herndon, VA for small quantities of live rock. Let me know if you're interested in joining...

That's an awesome tank. Just started in reefing and I didn't know about the local club. I just signed up today.

Archived