Pod Your Reef

[Custom] kinetic

kinetic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha no picture yet, everything's still cycling.

I'm thinking of attaching my 1/6 hp chiller to this tank to try to keep a cooler tank to keep a pair of catalina gobies, but warm enough to keep a few SPS. Are there any colder water SPS?

My gumdrop scorpionfish gets lost in this tank too, so I'm going to make a little "cubicle" in my refugium in my bigger tank for this guy instead of putting him in here.

Just a thought if you're still having remora issues and want to get rid of the paper towel method (or keep it, either way). I used to take a foam sponge and put it in the 3rd chamber (far right). It would catch all the bubbles that came out. You have to make sure it gets cleaned out, though, because it can get backed up and cause mayhem. I'm wanting a pic, too. :P

No pictures yet, I'm battling some flatworms and equipment problems in both my tanks unfortunately =(

the remora has yet to pull ANY skimmate. it's also loud as hell.

the remora nano sucks really bad.

Wow - I'm shocked at your remora nano's performance, that sucks. So that gumdrop doesn't have much personality? I was thinking of getting one back when Sharky's had them. They look so cool.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, so the remora still hasn't skimmed anything yet. I've tried cleaning the cup, running it in vinegar, and just leaving it running on my tank for weeks. NOTHING. Plus it's still loud as hell =(

The nano remora was probably one of the worst pieces of equipment I've ever purchased. I'm so dissapointed. The Tunze nano skimmer 9002 that I was going to use is pumping tons of gunk out of my 32g (which is now dual skimmered with the two tunze 9002's).

So I'm going to ditch the remora soon.

The scorpion is really funny, he eats everything I squirt at him, and darts in and out to feed like a very clumsy and fat hummingbird. Colorful, and kinda funny looking.

I'm setting up a fuge for my next new tank, which will be pretty big and will house this guy instead.

I might pull this tank out of the contest, and go for a custom 10g instead to house the dual tunze skimmers once I get my new tank running. I don't think i can reenter my tank at this point, but I'll just play along anyway.

PseudanthiasVentralis

The remora didnt work because of the towel in the spray bar thing... I tryed this when i first read about your tank back on page one. I stuffed the spray bar "inlet" with filter floss and in two weeks only about an OZ of skimate... (befour the cup was filled daily). So i swiched it back to normal and its loud. (Ijust turn it off when i sleep). Oh and i want to see this tank! i havent seen a pic since like OCT.

Is the contest over? And can i still enter?

Ok well i removed the paper towel mod last night, and now it's skimming nicely =( But i don't think it's worth it. The noise sucks.

I'll be selling this unit and throwing in my tunze nano skimmer instead. (much quieter, in fact silent, pulls out tons of scum).

Deltec MCE300 > all skimmers mentioned in this thread ;)

super quiet

super skimmate

virtually no microbubbles

one day I"ll try a deltec =)

• 3 weeks later...

How much skimmate did you get from that Nano Remora?

I still can't get mine to skim, and it's been two months :( I emailed a rep about it, wondering if mine is defective. Everyone else seems to love theirs.

Bleh! Don't give up just yet unless you really -want- to be out. There's still some time to get some coral in there.

Stupid Remora skimmer. I'm baffled...I see some people have great success with the Nano, but so far it's been nothing but frustration for me, and you too. I still have microbubbles in my tank. It's still not "nearly silent". And it's not producing skimmate. The rep I emailed advised me to quit using one of my oily supplements and see if that helps. If not, I'm sending it back.

If you haven't modded yours, it might be worth emailing them to see if they can make things right. :angry:

oh i still have time!? nice =) i'll try to throw a bunch of zoos and stuff in =)

I did that "quiet down your nano remora" mod with the paper towel, and it was much quieter, but skimmed nothing. So someone said, don't do the paper towel, so alas, I tried it again, and no skim at all. This time it still sounded REALLY loud.

I have two tunze nano skimmers (9002) running on my 32g m-tank, and they're SOOOOO completely silent. They also skim monsterously. I put one on my 8g to see if it was just the tank had nothing to skim, but in a day I had 200ml of gunk pulled out. I decided to shutoff my remora about a week ago, and it's just sitting there. I'm going to probably try to talk to AquaC again and see if I can get a refund. =/

I'd highly recommend going with the Tunze 9002. It's silent, like seriously, no sound. and it skims sooo well. Not the thickest, but at least it skims a good amount of gunk.

keep me updated! I'll post my results when i talk to aquac next =)

Sure, Jan 15th is the last day to add coral.

I'm trying to give the nano remora a fair chance to work. But I had the sucker on a tank with curing LR, and now I feed the tank regularly. Nada. It -can't- be that there's just nothing in here to skim. It gets cyclopeeze with selco, shredded krill, phytoplankton and oyster eggs, about 4mls every other day. So even if all it did was pull the phyto back out, I should be geting about 3mls of skimmate daily.

Steve at AquaC has been nice, even though this has been a pain. He offered to replace it for me if it's defective, but I have to send it in and they have to test it and see if it's working or not. Frankly, I'm not sure I want a replacement. I'm going to stop using Selco for a week and see if that makes a difference...Steve said it's an oily supplement, and that might stop the skimmer from working. But it should have skimmed something out of the tank when my rock was curing...

That tunze skimmer may be a good deal, if I can't get this remora working. I'll have to see what the pricing is like, and how things work out with AquaC. This is the first time I've tried a skimmer and after this, I'm not feeling a whole lot like shelling out yet more money.

If I manage to get skimmate, I'll be sure to post pics.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to have to drop out. I caught a tremendous cold this weekend, and couldn't make it to a few of my favorite frag shops.

I will move what is left to a 11g refugium and continue this thread there. Goodluck to the rest of ya!

Archived