Cultivated Reef

Trip to "Jeff's Exotic Fish" in SoCal - Friday 14th

Xavier

Yup, Pi day - 3/14... Jeff's outlet has odd hours, and only open Saturday on the weekends, so to avoid the crush, we're going to take a partial day Friday and visit Jeff's Exotic Fish.. Goliath and I will be leaving southern Ventura around noon for the trek down, any and all who can take the time, are more then welcome to join us. Let me know in advance so we can all plan to hook up, or prepare any trades ;)

If you have questions, feel free to PM me, or drop by the Aquarium Chat.. I'm usually on in the evenings.

Thats right guys, I have room for 2 more in the mighty Ford Focus. I know a couple of you are pretty close to Jeffs so if you want to just meet up at 1pm at the outlet then that will work as well.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Xavier

Jeff's outlet has odd hours, and only open Saturday on the weekends

as opposed to normal hours where you are open on Saturdays during the week?

sorry guys, I couldn't let that pass.

I want to hear about Jeff's. I've ordered from them in the past and I'm curious about the store.

Well.. they aren't open Sundays and Mondays, and close at 6pm.. for most of us, we can't get out of work to be there before they close, so everyone goes on Saturday and cleans them out...

Have fun at Jeff's! You might want to call ahead and see if they just got a shipment in though. I've passed by there when most of the tanks had nothing in it. You also might want to drop by other LFS in the OC/LA area

Definitely try to hit up Fish Collection in Placentia (they sometimes have more stuff than Jeff's, and i've heard great things about reef collection in Huntington beach.

Too bad I can't make it out there to meet up with you guys on Friday.

I just called them and they are supposed to get a coral shipment in tomorrow, but I've got some directions for a few other stores in the area.. so it won't be a complete loss..

Has anyone heard of The Aquatic Outlet? Xavier and I have been to the sister location in Chatsworth but the big brother shop is in Inglewood (always up to no good). 20,000 sq doesnt sound to bad to me. www.aquaticoutlet.com

Jeremy

Hey guys

Have Fun! If they are getting a shipment tomorrow, it could be good pickin's - generally it depends on when they get their shipment in and when you get there. Alot of it could still be in boxes.

AquaticOutlet is pretty cool - if nothing else - they have several awesome tanks including one that's in the several thousand gallon range. Prices may be a little high on a lot of their drygoods.

-Ed

we were going to take a half day at the offices and be there by around 1:00pm.

The things we do for fresh critters and corals eh? :)

i got this from jeffs today, maybe u guys can try and get these deals if possibe???

Hi Everyone,

We just received several nice shipments from around the globe. We had a

great shipment just come in from Tonga last night. Included in that

were a number of rare and hard to find items. This Sale when end

3/19/03 or while supplies last.

**** Note to walk-in customers: Please, bring in a copy of this email to

receive club prices. ****

Live Stock:

1) 50 lb. Box Tonga Branch Live Rock only $2.25/lb

2) 50 lb. Box Tonga Base Plate Live Rock only $1.75/lb

3) Flame Angel $17.50

4) Small Queen Angel only $75

5) Small Purple Tang only $34.99

6) Tonga Flame Hawk only $19.99

7) 10 Scarlet Hermit Crabs only $17.50

8) Tonga Bullseye Mushroom only $17.50

9) XL Tonga Malu Anemone only $24.99 (Nice!)

10) Tonga Branching Hammer Coral only $19.99 (Very Nice!)

11) XL Hawaiian Feather Duster only $7.99

12) Tonga Pineapple Coral only $15.99

13) LG Blue Star Fish $10.99 or 3 for $25

14) 25 Margarita Snails only $15

15) 40 lb Marshall Island Live Rock only $3.25/lb

16) Small Bubble Anemones only $7.50 ea.

17) Purple Long Tentacle Anemones only $65

18) Bangaii Cardinal Fish only $7.50 ea or 3 for $15

Dry Goods:

1) SouthBay 6-1 Skimmer only $199 (up to 125 Gal)

2) 175W 10K German Metal Halide Lamps only $54.99

3) Red Sea Prism Skimmer only $69.99

4) Red Sea Wave Master Pro only $99.99

5) Buy any 4 Kent Marine chemicals and get a 5th free

6) NEW URI Ice Cap 660 only $145.95

7) SouthBay 6-2 Skimmer only $299 (up to 180 Gal)

8) Ocean Clear 375 filter w/UV only $239.99

9) Hamilton Tech 2x55 watt PC retro only $139.99

10) CPR Bak Pak Skimmer only $99.99

11) Red Sea Marine Lab Test Kit only $22.99

12) Red Sea Turbo Berlin only $159.99

13) PinPoint pH Monitor only $74.99

14) 180 model SouthBay Sump or Wet/Dry only $149.99

15) All Maxi Jet pumps 2 for $30

16) Ebo Jager 250 watt Heater $17.50

17) South Bay 2x55 Watt ABS Light Hood only $175

18) All Iwaki Pumps 15% Off

19) “Reef Fishes” Book only $44.99

20) Reef Aquarium Vol. 1&2 Book Combo only $99.99

21) Vario Dosing Pump only $215

Jeff

Jeff's Exotic Fish

"http://www.exoticfish.com"

Toll Free 1-888-442-FISH

;)

WOOHOO sounds like tomorrow is going to be a great time.. Thanks Spencer. Friday couldnt take any longer to come.

Jeremy

Wow, so there are some fellow reefers closer than I thought (I'm in Santa Barbara)...

I actually hit Jeff's shop early on this year when I was starting my 20g. I was, well, unimpressed.... Their live rock tanks looked like dead rock, and there was a pallet of soggy live rock that looked like it had been sitting out for quite some time.

Maybe I hit a bad day, dunno... Maybe I was biased though, cuz I had actually hit aquaticoutlet right before, and their livestock tanks area was huge...

Lucky enough though, someone had pointed me to aquaticoutlet and I had written down direction/address for the treck as well.

Picked up some great tonga/figi live rock with massive corraline coverage. Not to bad in price (granted its in your best interest to shell out the $10 for membership, if making purchases say over $100 bucks)...

Last time I was down there though (bout 3 weeks ago).. the whole tank setup was ripped up (remodeling) and the livestock was bare (guess I shoulda called before I trecked down for that...)

Good luck on your venture from Ventura (couldn't resist)... I'm tempted to break outta work early but I just don't think I'd find any corals (frags) @ jeffs for my tank...

I'll have to hook up with ya'll. My tank is slowly getting additions... few zoos here, new colt corral (almost to big, might have to frag it soon), new yellow neon goby and of course my black pers...

Sands

we may hit a few other places down there if we have time.. I have directions to a few others...

We'll have to have a frag party for the area soon...

Got this from Aquatic Outlet yesterday....

New sale going on this weekend... For members and need to bring a copy of it for prices.....

Sand,

Thanks for all the help, looks like there are some great deals going on right now that Xavier and I need to take advantage of. If anyone is planning on meeting us at Jeff's Exotic Fish at 1pm then keep a lookout for me. I will be wearing a long sleeve dark greay Tony Hawk ###### with a scruffy looking beard.

Jeremy

Well we made our trip to Jeffs and Xavier and I got to meet Lizbeth, wonderful woman and a huge help picking out LR with me. Jeffs had some really good deals compared to Aquatic Outlet. Xavier saved a bundle by going there! The LA traffic... well it about drived me mad! What were we thinking going that deep into LA on a Friday. Crazyness..

I will post picks of my setup when it settles down.

Jeremy

Glad you guys made it home safely. How does the rock fit into your tank? I'm looking forward to pictures. What did Xavier end up getting?

So Aquatic Outlet was a bust for you? What was it like?

I am super pleased with the rock structure, it turned out great in a short period of time, of course now I want more ;)

Xavier got a Cardinal, 25 Margarita snails, cleaner shrimp, and I believe a nice polyp rock just filled with polyps. I know he got a great deal just forgot just how much all that jazz costs.

Jeremy

Stuff from Jeff's

1 - Bangaii Cardinal - $7.50

25 - Margarita Snails - $15

1 - Cleaner Shrimp - $16

1 - Mushroom rock w/ about 20 mouths (blue/red w/ white stripes and lime green dots radiating in circles from the center) - $20

Stuff from Aquatic Outlet

2 - Maiden's Hair Macro - 8.99ea ($18 total)

Hey Sandsrfr,

Im in IV. What do you think of the local shops? Im pretty new to the whole salt H2O thing, but from what I can tell our local shops are decent at best. The ones I go to are The Ocean Floor, Aquatic Designs, and Aquatic Gardens. What do you think about them?

JJshiv,

Yeah, fortunately our lfs are decent, and with good people. I have yet to have been lead astray by them.

I frequent Aquatic Gardens (Dotty there is great) and have bought all my fish and some corals there.

I still haven't bought anything from Aquatic Designs, but I haven't found anything appealing enought there yet.

Andy over at the Ocean floor is very helpful. Usually most of the shops are swamped on monday after-noon (and sometimes Friday) when they come back from LA with new stock.

Of course they are all a little bit high on prices, but I'm willing to pay a little more to get exactly what I want/in person.

Sands

Thats exactly what Ive noticed. I go over to Andys shop on mondays to check out what hes got and usually try to get some stuff bagged. Ive got most of my livestock from him. He gives a discount for bagged stuff too which is cool.

Archived