Innovative Marine Aquariums

2g pico progress updates

Tentacles

if someone has some experience or can answer this question that would be great.

right now i have the powerhead pro 3 and two HOB's is that ok to have 2? i figure it provides more flow in the tank and puts a random ocean type current aspect to it all and they are right next to each other, the ac20 has lr in it going on full power and the whisper10 has a sponge in it to get solids out, the whisper is closer to the bottom. i tried to do a skimmer mod with it but it made the water churn up alot of little particles which was kind of weird. is this going to be ok? thoughts and suggestions please, should i maybe put the skimmer mod farther away from the ac20? the powerhead is on the far right and the hobs are on the far left.

thanks

little edit/last question: do you think having two hobs or one hob/refugium and one modded to a skimmer would be more efficient? thanks again

2 hobs are fine, trust me, thats what i did for a year before i saved up and got more gear...

thnk about it...you got 2 diffrent filters running....you said yourself you got lots of flow....

now you need light........2 20watt coralife mini compacts work, but id go bigger...

as big as 96 watts pc, or 70watts halide...cant really be cheap here.....

as far as the cloudyness you had.....dont clean it out too much!!!

thats basically food for your coraline algea....that is aragonite dust!

thats what purple up and agamilk is made of

as far as a skimmer mod...why not just get the aquaclear surface skimmer attachment?? its only 12 bucks tops

im gettin a maxijet1200 from transsurfer so i should be gettin a 2.5 or 5.5 soon

will probably plumb the 2.5/5.5 into my 10 gal back home in memphis....

my magdrive might be overkill on this project...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do they make 40w and higher bulbs? like a single bulb, i have no real way of adding another fixture to the hood unless it undergoes serious surgery, is there one 18'' bulb that could do that powerful of a job alone or is it time to break out the hacksaw

do they make 40w and higher bulbs? like a single bulb, i have no real way of adding another fixture to the hood unless it undergoes serious surgery, is there one 18'' bulb that could do that powerful of a job alone or is it time to break out the hacksaw

I love hacksaws :lol: .. I don't know if they make anything higher... but I am sticking around to find out! :D

haha i was really just thinking about cutting out more of the back out and adding another fixture there, but i never thought about the heat issues so yea i guess ill have to raise it some too

btw this is just thinking outloud, since anemones are hard to keep for novices such as myself im thinking a forgspawn would be ok for something the clown could host or hang around, any thoughts, and if someone has one how much did it cost you?

haha i was really just thinking about cutting out more of the back out and adding another fixture there, but i never thought about the heat issues so yea i guess ill have to raise it some too

btw this is just thinking outloud, since anemones are hard to keep for novices such as myself im thinking a forgspawn would be ok for something the clown could host or hang around, any thoughts, and if someone has one how much did it cost you?

Arn't Toadstools good for clowns also? ( just shooting out ideas )

Arn't Toadstools good for clowns also? ( just shooting out ideas )

i think so, good thinkin......i wonder which is cheaper ;)

any price quotes on these as well? college kid on a budget here, if anyones got a small piece to sell as well, let me know!

i think so, good thinkin......i wonder which is cheaper ;)

any price quotes on these as well? college kid on a budget here, if anyones got a small piece to sell as well, let me know!

<- College kid on a budget also... I got my Kenya Trees, Blue Mushrooms, Green Mushroom for free from a local reefer. LOTS of peices of them too..

I am getting Fire and Ice Zoa's 10 for $10 with a free finger leather from another local reefer sometime this week.. I will post pics! :D

When we both get a little bit of stuff we can trade to save money dude :D

nope, no real light bulb you can get....only thing you can really do is keep adding 18'' 20 watt floresents....make sure to mix colors....

i found a reptile light that holds an 18'' floresnt + 2 sockets for 20watt mini compacts...still thats only 60 watts.....the lady wants friggin 80 bucks for it!!

i can get a nice coralife fixture for that much....

dont run any less than 40 watts on it.......

im getting a retro kit of some sort for my 10 gal back home....

its currently running only running 40 watts....thats for 3-4 months..i wonder what it looks like

eels- i agree about no less than 40, right now just to have 40w ive got a clip-on desk lamp on it two with the door to the hood open with one of those 20w energy savers i had on my 2g- yellow but until i get a new bulb itll have to do hah

directional- when we have stuff im down with some trades, i wish there was some guy around here givin stuff away, damn.....but my red and orange zoas are spreading, im tryng to coax them to a small neighboring piece of rock and make a frag ;)

fugu- the powerhead is rated 150-260 gph so im guessin its goin about 200, then ive got the two hobs as well, it looks like about perfect flow in it right now, im happy with that powerhead, got it for ten bucks- guy had it in a box for three years, its no longer made and it runs great.

Hey looks like you are on a good start.

I am doing a 10 gal as well. I am running 2 HOB's right now. An AC50 with rock rubble and a wisper with chemical filtration like carbon or purigen whenever I want to.

I have a 240gph dual output powerhead in it as well.

I am looking at getting a frogspawn or torch for my clowns to host in as well.

How deep is that sand bed? You might want to take some of that out to prevent problems down the road. Or get a lot of Nassarius vibex snails.

well its a 15lb bag with 4lbs from the 2g pico to seed it- i thought about 2lbs to the gallon was correct? so i have alittle less than that at 19lbs for 10 gallons or 1.9lbs per gallon, and yea ill be getting some of those nas snails. what problems come from a deep sand bed? its about an inch at shallow places and an inch and a half at deep places. Frogspawn! what kind of clown(s) are you getting? and when you find yourself a frogspawn if its online let me know where you got it.

so what does everyone think about the sandbed, too deep?

well now its time to go clown shopping and i found a guy online thats selling two headed frogspawn for 15 bucks woooh! we'll see what clowns pop up today, i think ill try to get a more adult/larger one so if i ever attempt to make a pair ill just go out and look for a tiny one. maybe the lfs will have some 5 or 10 bucks frag sales too!

any ideas on that sand bed tho?

your sandbed is roughly 2''or less? in the 10 gal right???

to me, that doesnt qualify as a deep sand bed.....mine is 4-5''+ in my 20.....

yours sounds perfect....

they (people here) say that deep sandbeds can give you spikes in nitrates....this has never been a problem w/ me, b/c i keep my bed stocked with sifters...

i guess the spikes come from neglect....if you know you got a deepsandbed, then take care of it....

do your homework!

do your homework!

ha i just did....all 6 pages of my quotation analysis, i get everything i need to know about my reef from here!

we know you need a light but you need a pump.....or two to run your fuge.....

do you have a LFS that sells used equip?

you may just have to ebay it.......

i get a good amount of flow from my magdrive2.....but thats probably too big for your 10....

travisurfer is selling me a maxijet1200...but i dont know if thats too small for my 5.5 or 2.5 w/ fuge project....the specs say up to 295gph...but we'll see....

i got my magdrive running w/ 3/4'' cpvc right now...but i wanna go 1/2'' once i get in the tank b/c the "flow" just isnt what i want......i know that if i go 1/2'' ill get more pressure in the line which will give more flow.....(thanks lil bro!, hes a plumber for the army corp of engineers)

the mag drive can give you up to 6lb of pressure in the line, so i dont think the 250 gph rating is accurate...unless its just running a pond or long asz lines...

i also know that the shorter the plumbing...the better the pressure is, which in turn will give you better flow....

dont get frustrated!!! this is fun remember?

yes yess..........and money draining :angry:

...but if it werent equally addicting id have quit long ago

too bad there isnt a way to mod air pumps to pump out water, ive got enough of those things around here...

ill ask my lfs's if they sell used stuff, you think the maxijets not enough power then?

also how were you thinking about running your piping, drilling some holes or just putting them in the tanks

and i understand most about the sump idea but what do you use for return to the tank? 2 pumps?

got an A on that stupid paper!

this deserves a reward......

so that guy im getting frogspawn from, apparently hes awesome so Im getting the 2 headed frogspawn, a red and green shroom, and some caulestra as well as a small freebie frag for 40 bucks, now I can finally stock this tank up.

.....which means im in dire need of lighting!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2004+113030

how does this bad boy look? the 4X24 96 watt 24'' fixture that is, the tanks 20'' long but im sure the fitting can slide that far to fit it.

yes yess..........and money draining :angry:

...but if it werent equally addicting id have quit long ago

too bad there isnt a way to mod air pumps to pump out water, ive got enough of those things around here...

ill ask my lfs's if they sell used stuff, you think the maxijets not enough power then?

also how were you thinking about running your piping, drilling some holes or just putting them in the tanks

and i understand most about the sump idea but what do you use for return to the tank? 2 pumps?

the airpump that moves water is called an undergravel filter LOL really old school...not that effective unfortunantly....mostly just filter

if you drop an airline into a pipe it will move water....just not pretty and not enough flow...

as far as my plumbing.....check this guy out!! i wanna copy it

its not that the maxi isnt powerful enough...i just havent used one yet and cant say, but people on this site give it good reviews....

got an A on that stupid paper!

this deserves a reward......

so that guy im getting frogspawn from, apparently hes awesome so Im getting the 2 headed frogspawn, a red and green shroom, and some caulestra as well as a small freebie frag for 40 bucks, now I can finally stock this tank up.

.....which means im in dire need of lighting!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2004+113030

how does this bad boy look? the 4X24 96 watt 24'' fixture that is, the tanks 20'' long but im sure the fitting can slide that far to fit it.

that is a pimp light! i like t5ho's that one gives you room to upgrade again later in the future!, however now that you got corals you need more light now.....

i just dont like the price.....could get a 150watt halide for that...but the t5 burns less electricity, so its a trade off...

coralife sells normal output T5s but i dunno how good they are....

good job on the paper! i cant wait to get back to school......all i do is this :D im such a nerd....

plumbing

yea i need light now, but i dont have the corals yet and the guy said hed pick out some suggestions for stuff that will do ok under my current wattage until i get new lights, so i picked those above out of his list

about lights pricing, you got somethin cheaper in mind because im all for that

plumbing idea looks sweeeet, looks like a good model to base mine off too

things to do: coral, lights(immediately) some clown(s) and more hermits and snails, sump design. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

yea i need light now, but i dont have the corals yet and the guy said hed pick out some suggestions for stuff that will do ok under my current wattage until i get new lights, so i picked those above out of his list

about lights pricing, you got somethin cheaper in mind because im all for that

plumbing idea looks sweeeet, looks like a good model to base mine off too

things to do: coral, lights(immediately) some clown(s) and more hermits and snails, sump design. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So your not doing your 2g anymore or you are? I am confused!

So your not doing your 2g anymore or you are? I am confused!

its now a 10g AGA with 2g fuge project haha

...i just have no idea how to move all this info to a new thread wihout a whole lot of cut n paste so i figured id just leave it here since its still not so big

check the lighting links i left on your other thread.......

as far as moving threads.....just stop using this one and use the other one!

i kinda like how this one shows how your tank is growing.....

also check the nano-reef sponsor links!

ill help shop since i need the same equipment now!

i may call the lfs in memphis just to see what they have.......i know they got lots of halides...but i may go for T5s....

less electricity=less $$ spent in the long run....

if i can get my wattage down low enough i can get a solar power array to run it all

check the lighting links i left on your other thread.......

as far as moving threads.....just stop using this one and use the other one!

i kinda like how this one shows how your tank is growing.....

also check the nano-reef sponsor links!

ill help shop since i need the same equipment now!

i may call the lfs in memphis just to see what they have.......i know they got lots of halides...but i may go for T5s....

less electricity=less $$ spent in the long run....

if i can get my wattage down low enough i can get a solar power array to run it all

What is the difference with MH and T5 besides price... T5 works on lower wattage but puts out more strength?

Archived