ReefCleaners.org

willyboy's 20H (now extinct)

willyboy

NOTE: Easiest way to ### off corals is to drop a frogspawn on them.

No seriously. My turbo knocked the fs on to some of my shroom and zoas, not to mention my NEW leather, which is especially ###ed.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My clowns are showing a lot of interest in my new leather. It (leather) is still not happy ab the fs falling on it, and there's no telling how long it will be before it gets used to these clowns, if they decide to host it.

BUMP

No really, where are you guys. Dr. Daggett? Maco? Irishtexan? Alexmourovec? You're all probable watching Mvite's RAOK thread. I am too. I hope I win the softy pack.

My leather still hasn't opened up since the fs fell on it. I'm not worried, but I am keeping an eye on it.

I really like your frogspawn. I have been looking for a nice piece like that to put in my nano :D , and the tank is looking great

I looked in the tank today and I saw the clown goby on the leather. Which is good bcuz he hides most of the time.

The leather was spread out but it still wasn't showing its polyps.

---------------------------------------------------

SUMMER CHECKLIST

Toadstool Leather- CHECK (not sure if it's a toadstool or not)

Frogspawn- CHECK

Ricordia-

Hairy shrooms- CHECK

FISH

Rainford's goby-

Bicolor blenny/better suggestion- CHECK (green clown goby)

------------------------------------------------------

I'm probably going to make my checklist bigger after I research some more corals because, I wiped half of them out in one Saturday. I need some more coral suggestions cuz I'm quite content with my corals right now.

I think my leather (what kind?) is fixing to shed. It's turning all glossy. It still hasn't opened it's polyps since the Sat. I got it. I'm worried.

I noticed my xenia was looking under the weather, and upon closer inspection...

shed002.jpg

shed001.jpg

LOL LOL!

My leather started getting a shiny gloss on its surface and I wasn't sure about it. I thought it might be preparing to shed. I was right. This is how it looked when I got home from work.

shed003.jpg

shed004.jpg

It's polyps are finally extending! I'm running carbon incase is has released any undetectable stuff into the water.

• 2 weeks later...

That hitcher could either be a frogspawn or a hammer coral.

Hammer is almost the same as frogspawn, but instead of round ends on the polyps they are anvil or hammer shaped. (I think) I'm a newb too but I hope that helps.

I also think you should check your area for a local reef club. We have one in Madison Wisconsin and I can buy all kinds of cool frags from other reefers for way cheap. 5 bucks for zoa frags, 10 bucks for stuff like frogspawn and shrooms, xenia is free because everyone has TONS of it.

Also, the stuff I get from them tends to be even more healthy and better quality because of all the personal attention they give thier tanks, unlike a LFS.

There are a couple reef clubs near me. I just haven't gotten around to joining one of them.

They look more like FS to me. The ends of the polyps are fairly round.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey WB thanks for the encouragement in my thread. I just spent about an hour reading through yours and watching your tank progress, it's encouraging to me. I'll be keeping an eye on your thread.

Best of luck

-Brian

Thanks. It has been very slow going with my tank due to lack of funds and opportunities to go to the LFS. My favorite LFS is currently moving to their new location, a recently renovated small warehouse with offices at the front. It's gonna be sweet.

I'm still looking for some good rics at decent prices.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw some pictures of the new LFS location. It looks pretty sweet. I'm hoping i can swing buy on Saturday. I just got my paypal account set up so i'm looking for some good deals on rics, really cool zoas, and really anything else that can THRIVE under my lights.

Tank update: Everyone is doing fine, except my pep shrimp (who never completely wipe out my aptaisia population. Clownfish are growing like crazy, leather is getting nice polyp extension and is not bothered at all by my gcb (who constantly perches on it), and one of my fs's heads is splitting. also, my clownfish have been showing interest in everything host-able in my tank (leather, fs, zoas, shrooms). I really wish they would host the fs or the leather, but they haven't caught on. In fact, sometimes they sleep in the zoas.

will

Just found this thread willyboy. Great tank and I love the clown goby. How is he doing as far as being out in the open? the free euphyllia may even be a torch. The easiest way to tell is frogspawn have multiple tips on each tentecle, torch have only one, and a hammer is a curved shape tip.

Keep posting I am now watching.....

well, since i finally have an audience again, I'll start ranting again.

Thanks for comments surftaco and spanko!

The goby is doing great. He is not afraid of me when I come to the tank. He swims up to the surface when I feed them. I was worried for a little while that he would always be shy, but he has grown out of that. The clowns don't boss him around either. When the clownfish swim around in the leather (figi or toadstool?) it doesn' bother him.

It's definitely a toss-up b/w a torch and a fs. It does have multiple dots (tips) on the tentacles. I always look back and forth from the big fs to the hitcher, trying to compare.

yeah if it has multiple tips it is a frog for sure. I have heard that the clowns gobys likd to sit in one spot for long periods of time, almost so you think they may be dead or dying. True of yours too? My vote is for a toadstool leather.

Archived