Pod Your Reef

Fragging orange gorgonia...

Prowland

I about 2 hours I am going to premium aquatics to pick up some LR rubble for frag mounting.

Here is a pic of the gorgonia I am going to be fragging:

th_PICT0007-1.jpg

Here is what I am going to be using to make the frags:

1 exacot knife

1/4 in cement drill bit

1 cordless drill

2 buckets of sw

1 pair of scissors

1 tube super glue gel type

LR rubble

Orange gorgonia

I will explain what is used when I have the pics to go along with it.

Check back later today to see the progress and wish me luck as this is my second attempt at fragging coral. First was the mushroom.

Thanks

1 tip on fragging a gorg. use some wire strippers to pry some of the flesh away from the skelaton. This should make the gorg stick better to the rubble and allow for faster encrusting to your rubble.

The Propagator

And use an 1/8" or smaller drill bit.

Thats roughly how large the diameter of the core of the gorgonian that your going glue in to the hole you drill is going to be.

I don't think Texx can turn down a frag. :D

You live near premium aquatics..... I'm so jealous. Do you know when they get fresh LR in -- nano-LR?

Texx turned down a few for me---after PM'ing me 1,583,578,467,433,523 times for pictures. There was that one time he waiting 13 seconds between PM's. :lol: I forgot about it but see it on nearly every thread now! So I thought I would make it my official punch line. It fits nearly everywhere!! I might make it my sig for a few days.

Unfortunately I don't live near Prem Aqu. I live in PA and have phone ordered from them a few times.

Sorry, confusion. I was asking prowland....prowland said he was going to pick up some...and it says he's from Indianapolis, so I just assumed he lives near there.

Sorry, confusion. I was asking prowland....prowland said he was going to pick up some...and it says he's from Indianapolis, so I just assumed he lives near there.

oops--I always try to make it about me! :lol:

Hey guys sorry for the wait. I have been super busy! I actualy saved someones life a few days ago.

I am going to frag the stuff as soon as I am sure the LR has cycled! Its in a sep. tank

I am going to be mounting the frags on LR rubble. The frag will be between 2-4in tall. And will have around 3 branches on it if it works out that way.

If you have any special requests on size shoot me a pm and we can work something out.

First I would like to trade if you have any small stuff.

If not we can do something like $5 plus shipping. That should cover all my costs.

If you want it in a thermous then add that in the cost. Along with any other extra shipping items ie. cold packs and what not.

I really would like to do an even exchange coral for coral. I will ship first as I have no one on here to vouch that I am not doing a scam.

Its friday night and I must go out!!! Cheers

Oh and yeah its good and bad that I live close to Premium Aquatics.... Save on shipping but spend more on stuff that I "just have to get" hahahahah

Hey now play nice prop...

Don't mind him, he's a dirty post whore! :lol:

Prop is probably steering it back to gorgs because he has a swimming pool filled with them or something!!!!

Okay so here is the in depth post on the fragging with pics...

Here are the rocks used:

PICT0041-1.jpg

The scissors, drill, exacto knife, and super glue gel:

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0042-1.jpg

PICT0048.jpg

PICT0051.jpg

The scissors were used to cut off the frags of gorgonia.

The drill was used to drill the holes to place the frags in. The bit i used was just slightly larger than 1/8in.

The exacto knife was used to cut the skin of the gorgonia away like in this picture:

PICT0053.jpg

You do this because the super glue is an irritant to the skin and not to the skeleton of the coral. It also is said to give a stronger bond.

After the tissue was stripped away I applied the gel to the hole in the rock and inserted to gorgonia into the hole. I then immediatly put the frag and rock into the salt water as it will help cure the glue and cool it as well. When the gel cures it hets up and can damage the tissue. The water helps with cooling.

Here is a picture of one of the frags inserted into the rock:

PICT0064.jpg

Here is the first one I did. It is the one per jeremai's request.

PICT0055.jpg

here are a few pics of the mounted frags:

PICT0059.jpg

PICT0056.jpg

Tex your frag is the shorter one per your request.

Right now I have 2 extra frags of it if anyone else wants to trade!!

This was almost as easy as fragging the mushroom. I am going to let these sit for a week and make sure they take off and nothing goes wrong.

Let me know if i missed anything or if you have any questions and sorry for the wait!

What can I trade you for a piece? I have zoas out the wazoo--some very cool montiporas and small acros.....um....lotsa zoas........

I am in PA--How do these ship?

For anyone interested, the gorgonian in question is Diodogorgia nodulifera. Here is a great article by Rob Toonen on care for them, particularly feeding. It also mentions food particulate sizes for other gorgonians, as well as water velocities ideal for feeding.

Since this is a non-photosynthetic gorgonian, pay attention - the article tells you how to keep it alive. :)

Archived