Pod Your Reef

What did the LFS guy sell me?

Marlin

Thank you everyone for your help. Seacorp nailed the ID it would seem. Mine has a bit of a differnet color, but im sure its the same type of coral.

On a side note, Seacorp might be getting some buisness from me...nice selection you have there.

what kind of texture is it though? leathery (i would assume from your descrip) or more coltish (fleshy)?

Leathery. Fairly rigid with base with those soft tiny brown polyps that close up fast if you touch them.

btw, what happened to all the sarcos on the site?

I'm getting ready to update the site and there are a couple types of sarcos. Anything in particular you're looking for?

I'm getting ready to update the site and there are a couple types of sarcos. Anything in particular you're looking for?
all of them. :happy:

you had 4~5 different types last month, they had been listed for a while but i just didn't have the room/opportunity to pull the trigger. a couple of types i have (or had) already but a couple i probably did not (creme colored one and a green one iirc). whatever unusual/uncommon types is good for me. but i was planning to get a frag of all of them at least.

if you're replenishing or have grow-out soon i'll likely place that order. i'll keep checking the site then. :)

The Propagator

See sometimes I actualy know what I am looking at ! A leather !( at least species any ways)

:lol:

BUT I have to disagree with calling it a carpet leather in the trade.

Cabbage leathers in the aquarium trade are commonly called carpet leathers.

( at least thats what I have always encountered?)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=638

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/cabbage-lea...--leathers.html

That thing is branchy not flat and leafy. ;)

i've always seen 'cabbage leather' applied to sinularia, specifically s. dura. frankly, it looks more like romaine lettuce than cabbage imho but i didn't name them.

but if it's leathery, i would think that common nomenclature is appropriate. i really haven't notice 'carpet leathers' until recent years though.

btw seacrop, (mary's no longer active?) i just placed that order last night.

thanks for the headsup! (psst, the freight cost table needs to be updated) ;)

Corals have lots of different common names in the industry. Having been in it for 18 years, I've only heard this particular type referred to (both by my suppliers and myself) as carpet leather. True, it's branchy, but the branches are short and tight knit, so when the polyps are open it does look like a flatish piece of brown carpet. A similiar coral is the Speckled Leather, but it has long finger type branches. Both are Cladiella sp.- which is the same genus as the Colt. I, like tinyreef, have never heard anyone refer to Cabbage (S. dura) as Carpet, but then again like I said, corals- especially softs and brains- have tons of common names.

btw seacrop, (mary's no longer active?) i just placed that order last night.

thanks for the headsup! (psst, the freight cost table needs to be updated)

This is Mary. I sold the business and now act as a consultant and website updater. (is that even a word?!). What's wrong with the freight cost table?

This is Mary. I sold the business and now act as a consultant and website updater. (is that even a word?!). What's wrong with the freight cost table?
[tangent-alert]i only just saw the new member stats and thought it was the new owner. you always used the 'marym' id afaik (i got used to) so i figured it was the new guy. ;)

i don't think the fixed scale applied to my order. up to 10# was whatever and so on. it just gave me a slightly higher cost for my order even though i thought it was <10#. but i figured it was just the (relatively) recent fedex/ups fuel surcharges i've seen in their (parcel) industry.

wasn't a biggie, just thought i give a heads up in case it was overlooked.

You're probably talking about being charged $47 when it says $40 for shipping. That's because the $7 box charge gets added in there.

[tangent-alert]i only just saw the new member stats and thought it was the new owner. you always used the 'marym' id afaik (i got used to) so i figured it was the new guy. ;)

i don't think the fixed scale applied to my order. up to 10# was whatever and so on. it just gave me a slightly higher cost for my order even though i thought it was <10#. but i figured it was just the (relatively) recent fedex/ups fuel surcharges i've seen in their (parcel) industry.

wasn't a biggie, just thought i give a heads up in case it was overlooked.

You're probably talking about being charged $47 when it says $40 for shipping. That's because the $7 box charge gets added in there.
ah, i knew there was a simple explanation. :lol:

great livestock still. :happy:

Archived