ReefCleaners.org

What did the LFS guy sell me?

Marlin

Went to the LFS today and saw "colt coral frag $4.99"

I have read that they are a good coral for a beginer so i figured why not.

I know what a grown colt looks like but not sure what they look like when they are real small. You guys tell me, what did the guy sell me?

post-21171-1159131025_thumb.jpg

Went to the LFS today and saw "colt coral frag $4.99"

I have read that they are a good coral for a beginer so i figured why not.

I know what a grown colt looks like but not sure what they look like when they are real small. You guys tell me, what did the guy sell me?

post-21171-1159131025_thumb.jpg

NOT A COLT CORAL...

goniopora, one of the hardest corals to care for, exact requirements are unkown.

Doesn't look like it to me... eight tentacles on each polyp makes it an octocoral. If that's the case, I would say it was an encrusting gorgonian, probably Briareum or a similar genus if it's covering a base rock. If it is a soft coral, I'm no help to you. :)

Doesn't look like it to me... eight tentacles on each polyp makes it an octocoral. If that's the case, I would say it was an encrusting gorgonian, probably Briareum or a similar genus.

deffinatly doesnt look like any kind of gorg.....

i still think it could be a blue colt coral.. my LFS has one in there display tank.. its AWESOME!

and looks a little like yours... again is it soft or does it have a calcite base?

its actually a pretty common coral. I think it's in the xenniid family. it's more of a matt when it grows out with thickly bunched clusters. I will look it up for you when i get access to the reef book

Deffinatly not gorg. deffinatly no gono. I agree with fishfreak , it does actually look like some type of colt. What ever it is it doesn't look bad and only 5$? My lfs sells colt for around 35$. But in canada all corals are more expsensive than the states.

Fully retractile, no visible pinnules... I don't know much about xeniids, but that doesn't sound right. The form doesn't look like any colt I've ever seen, although it appears to be slightly branching in the second photo.

Can't wait till someone pops up with a genus I can compare it to. :)

The base is not "rock hard", i would compare it to stiff leather. The only thing holding it from blowing around my tank is some rock fragments it grabbed ahold of at the LFS.

click here

maybe its that.

i think noobie's right. and it pains me to say maybe the lfs's generic label was appropriate (colt or the old nomenclature of 'cladiella') still not correct in the strictest sense.

Cladiella.gif

not that the linked database is known for incredible accurateness either though (reefermadness, aka reefingbyphotoshop). <_<

wtf, isn't a colt a leather?
i wouldn't call a colt or most alcyoniums corals (if we use the common description of a 'colt coral') "leathers". they're too soft and feel nothing like "leather".

some sarcophytons can be called leather corals. as well as probably most lobophytums. although i believe the term originated from the sarco side, e.g. s. elegans or s. serenei.

prop,

that could be a leather or colt. the "blushing" type of colt (alcyonium, much easier to say colt, ain't it?) looks very much like that.

i'm not sure if the cladiella genus is even valid anymore but that (cladiella) would be a easier mental picture of it from the old texts and pictures imo.

Ok so colt/leather is what we have decided on?

That linked site said med--->high lighting...will my 48 watts of pc be ok if i place it up kinda high?

I've been pretty lucky with the quality and price of the corals i get from my LFS. Every thing i buy there seems to love my tank (stuff always opens within an hour and nothing has died even though i'm a noob)

The Propagator

Just give it space, good flow, medium light and feed it filter foods and call it a day ! LOL!

we may never know "exactly" what it is .

i guess now we know. :happy:

mary,

what kind of texture is it though? leathery (i would assume from your descrip) or more coltish (fleshy)?

do you know what genera it might be?

btw, what happened to all the sarcos on the site? i was holding off on ordering until my tanks were starightened out from a recent transfer/move. now's there's only like two types of sarcos left on the cpr list. :( are you getting the other types back in the future?

Archived