ReefCleaners.org

Input needed on next contest stock lighting, and custom tanks.

Christopher Marks

as for flow, i say let bygones be bygones, do whatever you want

as for HOB, limit it to a certain size cap........... that way if someone gets one big one they can, or perhaps allow people to do two small HOB's.

And finally, as for the NC being allowed, i would rather have them not allowed. We already did a NC contest, and i think making the dimensions of the tank more defined will create a more uniform contest so we can focus on how the tank grows as opposed to the style of tank and appearance.

man, i hope i can enter this contest, that would be awesome! Gotta find some money though, and see if my roommates will allow a third tank! ;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will this be like last year's contest where the max tank volume is 10g and we will be able to have a 10g sump, or will it be a total system volume limit of 10g?

I found an interesting custom 9 gallon acrylic at an LFS on clearance today. I don't need to do the NC anymore. Depending on the rules set forth by our fearless leader, I may yet be in on this competition.

FEAR ME!

:)

Ricky@3rdshift

Ok let me get somethi straight. You want us to use a 10 gallon standard all glass tank, but you want to also limit lights, filters and how much flow??? I thought this was gonna be a contest on building a wicked tank with your own Ideas. I mean really they only variation is gonna be livestock under the proposals from everyone.

I think stock clas should be a standard 10 gallon aga, with no external sumps, and a cap on the light wattages but not a set light. HOB should be limited to whatever you can hang on back of a tank that size as long as its a HOB filter. Limiting flow??? HMMM gee I guess flow is not as big of a deal with me.

If you wanna go crazy whirlpool in a tank flow, with enough lights to get a sunburn go the custom route where the only limit would be total gallons say not to exceed 20 gallons with the main display being a 10 gallon aga and up to 10 gallon sump.

Ok let me get somethi straight. You want us to use a 10 gallon standard all glass tank, but you want to also limit lights, filters and how much flow??? I thought this was gonna be a contest on building a wicked tank with your own Ideas. I mean really they only variation is gonna be livestock under the proposals from everyone.

there is a custom category :huh:

Getting everything prepared now. Thanks for the input everyone. Official announcement soon.

yes! just the news i've been waiting for :D

time to sell the house :lol:

I'm not entering this contest, so won't be biased here. Edit: Actually, depending on the rules for Custom, I may join up with a custom 8g...

Nanocubes/copies - I say no. We've already had a NC contest somewhat recently. Save these for another future version.

Stock 10g lighting 96w quad is another very common PC fixture that works great on a 10g. IMHO, Just allow any standard 24" or smaller fixture. One question - Allow T5? In some places, these are more common. T5s are really almost just a straightened out version of a PC. No Metal Halide.

Stock 10g filtration IMHO, A HOB filter with just the simple Mod into a fuge should be allowed. Modding a HOB into fuge has become common practice on even the simplest tanks. As long as it's kept simple, it should be allowed, i.e. siliconed in baffle. But what about lid replaced with piece of plexi to support lighting? What about External filters, i.e. Fluval/Enheim/etc...

Stock 10g Flow Imho, no limit. This shouldn't even really be a consideration. Most corals need at least a moderate ammount of proper water flow for healthy living. Tanks with low flow are deffinately not benefitting to the health of the coral in most cases. You shouldn't put in a rule that would be against coral health.

Stock 10g tank itself Absolutely no mods made to tank itself. No walls to create an in-tank fuge, etc...

One thing - Make sure people get good advanced notice. Some of people missed out on 2.5g due to missing deadline. Somewhat their fault for not checking the forum, somewhat due to confusion, etc.. Make global forum stickied announcements about all updates & changes.

Does this forum support groups? Where you could sign up to a group, then they could also all be easily PMed any updates.

Do we have a mod that will handle this contest? Unless CM is taking charge of this ;)

Custom 10g I'd say anything goes with 10g max display size & 10g max sump/fuge size. Thats it for the rules here.

How about creating a rules committee or (rule arbitrator)...to review contest rules for clarity BEFORE the contest starts and handle disputes during the completion...gee if there was someone around with some legal training.... *cough* *cough*

One thing - Make sure people get good advanced notice. Some of people missed out on 2.5g due to missing deadline. Somewhat their fault for not checking the forum, somewhat due to confusion, etc.. Make global forum stickied announcements about all updates & changes.

Does this forum support groups? Where you could sign up to a group, then they could also all be easily PMed any updates.

Do we have a mod that will handle this contest?

very good points and suggestions imo.

hey pot, as long as you're doing this pro bono. :P

i like how you typed out this huge post AFTER chris says he's got everything figured out

I'm not entering this contest, so won't be biased here. Edit: Actually, depending on the rules for Custom, I may join up with a custom 8g...

Nanocubes/copies - I say no. We've already had a NC contest somewhat recently. Save these for another future version.

Stock 10g lighting 96w quad is another very common PC fixture that works great on a 10g. IMHO, Just allow any standard 24" or smaller fixture. One question - Allow T5? In some places, these are more common. T5s are really almost just a straightened out version of a PC. No Metal Halide.

Stock 10g filtration IMHO, A HOB filter with just the simple Mod into a fuge should be allowed. Modding a HOB into fuge has become common practice on even the simplest tanks. As long as it's kept simple, it should be allowed, i.e. siliconed in baffle. But what about lid replaced with piece of plexi to support lighting? What about External filters, i.e. Fluval/Enheim/etc...

Stock 10g Flow Imho, no limit. This shouldn't even really be a consideration. Most corals need at least a moderate ammount of proper water flow for healthy living. Tanks with low flow are deffinately not benefitting to the health of the coral in most cases. You shouldn't put in a rule that would be against coral health.

Stock 10g tank itself Absolutely no mods made to tank itself. No walls to create an in-tank fuge, etc...

Do we have a mod that will handle this contest? Unless CM is taking charge of this ;)

Custom 10g I'd say anything goes with 10g max display size & 10g max sump/fuge size. Thats it for the rules here.

Needless to say, (but I will anyway) this needs a new subforum. When you look at the Special Events you see the nano cube and pico reef contests. Maybe something cheesy like:

10g.jpg

Needless to say, (but I will anyway) this needs a new subforum. When you look at the Special Events you see the nano cube and pico reef contests. Maybe something cheesy like:

10g.jpg

haha

great pic!

Christopher Marks
Does it have to be a 10gl AGA? Or can we use an acrylic 10gl? I've got one laying around. Just wondering.

Thanks.

It won't have to be a glass aquarium, but the dimensions need to be the same (Or very close) to a standard 10 gallon glass aquarium (20" x 10" x 12") if you plan to be part of the stock category.

Archived