SaltCritters.com

Input needed on next contest stock lighting, and custom tanks.

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

The aquarium for the stock contest is going to be a standard 20" 10 gallon tank. With previous build-off contests, all stock tanks have been required to have the same lighting. The stock lighting for this contest will once again be power compacts.

Here's the problem I need input on: A 20" long tank can fit three different PC bulbs that are within the range needed. 28w, 32w, 40w. 28w and 32w bulbs are both about 14" long, and one would give a 20" long tank good, but not full, coverage. The 40w bulb is 18" long, and would give the tank better coverage. Normally I would just pick the 40w bulb, but it appears that only Current USA's fixtures use them. So we can do one of three things.

1.) Allow any stock tank to use a single 28w, 32w, or 40w PC and call it equal enough.

2.) Require all stock tanks to use a 1x40w Current USA fixture (Which is a decent price at $53.90 Link) and nothing else.

3.) Allow only the use of a single 28w or 32w PC (they're essentially the same bulb), and no 40w.

I have chosen to use single bulb lighting to keep costs reasonable for the stock setup. Also keep in mind that these tanks are pretty shallow.

-------------------------------------

Custom category question...

Someone has asked whether or not 12 gallon nanocube/aquapod/etc.'s can be used and still qualify for the custom category.

Thoughts and opinions on this?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1.) Allow any stock tank to use a single 28w, 32w, or 40w PC and call it equal enough.
i'd go with this. not all bulbs are available to everyone. some suppliers carry one and not the other. a bit more inclusive and less exclusive imo. the rest of the rules make it pretty standard.

Someone has asked whether or not 12 gallon nanocube/aquapod/etc.'s can be used and still qualify for the custom category.
no holds barred, 5g~15g pit of death. may the best reef-pimped machine win! B)

Do this one. Tiny's points make sense.

Custom category question...

Thoughts and opinions on this?

Put a cap on the entire system volume of 12g (display, sump, etc.).

Minimum of 8 or 10g too.

I have some further thoughts on this that I will post when I am not in class!

How about European entries? All the listed lighting options are kind of hard to get by. Perhaps a 36W Power compact lighting could be allowed as well in the stock category?

or another idea is to force everyone to use exact same fixture and we can do a group buy with some vendors so we can save some money on people who is entering or just part of this community. I have done many group buys here and I would be happy to set one up if you want me to.

It were I who asked about the NC....

And consider yourselves lucky I already started "The Evil Nano Cube of Death"!!!!!!

But I'd be happy to do another. I've still got ideas floating around in my noggin!

CM, I appreciate your taking into consideration my inquiry/request. As for the stock contest, I would think any fixture between 28 and 40 would be fine. Including 36 watters.

I say the group buy idea was stellar, but I'll be in the custom category, so my vote doesn't count.

Speaking of which - can we start the custom contest while we're still deciding on the stock rules? I'm itching to go, here! :)

I say the group buy idea was stellar, but I'll be in the custom category, so my vote doesn't count.

Speaking of which - can we start the custom contest while we're still deciding on the stock rules? I'm itching to go, here! :)

hahha I agree. I have all the equipment ready to go, I even have the tank masked off for a black background painted on =P

I just need to find a diamond hole saw. anybody know where I can get one?

I have some further thoughts on this that I will post when I am not in class!

Well, I am in class again, but oh well. My only concern is the timing with respect to the custom contest. CM previously stated that the contest would tentaviley start (water in tank) on October 1. That is 2 weeks away. Is that really enough time to build a custom tank or have one built for you? I dunno. I'd probably need at least 2 weeks, maybe 3 to do a decent setup.

I've still got ideas floating around in my noggin!
that's a genuinely scary thought in a hannibal lecter-sort of way. :P

andy, i doubt oct. 1 will be a hard start date. more like mid or late october imo. it'll be a year since the pico contest (mid-october '05)!

i think announcements (of the contest and rules) will need to be made and people given time to consider budgets and their schedules and such.

otoh, we had a lot of early participants last time (in the Stock category iirc) that really never continued after the first couple of weeks. :huh:

I would go with number 1 as well. 12w of freedom isn't that big of a gap. Can't wait for the rules to be posted, I just happen to have a spare 10 gallon laying around.

I love the group buy Idea on lights but I would go with a 28W to 40W on the light.

As for the stock I would stay strict on that... IE no sump.

Go with 1 hob filter and limit flow simmilar to the lighting.

Include 1 powerhead following the limiting rule.

All else is fair game

Christopher Marks

Good input so far. I want to hear from more people though.

As I see it, official details and rules will be posted before October 1. Then an entry thread will be posted October 1st, where pictures of empty tanks w/ a special item inside will be required. Everyone will have 20 (maybe 15?) days to enter their empty tank. Any time after entry, water can be added and everything started up. A picture of the tank running with at least water will be required in each entry's own thread by the end of October. Of course, the sooner you start the better off you'll be.

maybe another linked/copied thread in General/Beginner/Front Page may elicit more opinions/input, i.e. exposure.
maybe another linked/copied thread in General/Beginner/Front Page may elicit more opinions/input, i.e. exposure.
I agree with Tiny.

I like the idea of a stock 20x10x12 (10-gallon) contest.

Possible Restrictions:

• Limit total flow to 400gph (including one or more powerheads, but only one HOB filter)

• No additional HOB/external device or sump which could increase water volume

• Single bulb, PC lighting of no more than a total of 40W (with the option to participate in a 40W fixture bulk purchase from one or more of our sponsors)

I think there are few things to think about when it comes to the restrictions. Lighting I agree it should be set. No sump/fuge, i understand the point to keep the water volume same as everyone.

But such thing as flow..... that is like telling people to change your reefing belives..... Some people might like high flow, some might not. Also, by restricting the flow, we are seriously limiting coral selection.

I know it sounds stupid, but thats usual comming from me..... Restricting flow is sorta like telling people under the rules, you cannot keep your reef tank below 80 degrees...

Restricting flow is sorta like telling people under the rules, you cannot keep your reef tank below 80 degrees...
Good point, I wouldn't argue against that logic; however, you could possibly make that case with lighting too. :unsure:

I'm simply suggesting a cap for flow, and not a standard. Would you consider a higher flow limit for stock? Obviously, I wouldn’t think that flow should be restricted in the custom category.

Ouch! Pico and Pet Doc don't want any NC's.....

Oh well, if I'm out, I'm out. No biggie. I've got enough money sunk into my current tanks.

:)

Have fun, and good luck to everyone!

I was meaning more of a cap on the flow. Like pick a few different filters that you could go with, a few different lights, and powerheads.

This way you can pick from a stock list and everyone has equal chance. That is why it is a stock group.

I also think is should be the standard AGA 10gal that go for $10.

Archived