SaltCritters.com

the $3 soap dish

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

gee thanks....now almost everything i look at looks like tank gear......ive been tearing up the restaurant i work at......i got all sorts of plastic pans and sheets of plastic (2'x3' lids).....and im even using the plastic meshing from the lobster tail packing to make filters for my pumps.... :lol:

still the soap dish is still the best!! they should give you some sort of award....nano genius of the month... :bowdown:

you might just be the inventor of the nano frag tank...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
non-photosynt
still the soap dish is still the best!! they should give you some sort of award....nano genius of the month...

you might just be the inventor of the nano frag tank...

But inventor of in-tank pico display is wanted too! :bowdown:

When using the soap dish as a fuge with Cheato do you just position the water to flow through the soap dish? Do you use just the tank lighting?

Great idea!

Vicki

This is a great idea.

I saw this thread today and went out and bought 2 at Home Depot. Same exact model.

QUick question.

How much do I have to clean this thing before use?

Do I have to soak in overnight or anything?

Will this plastic basket outgas or leach anything dangerous?

Or can I wash it and drop it right in?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

yeah tank lighting works great. you dont have to put it right under your filter but i found it to help keep the cheato from collecting debrit.

my first dish was placed into the aquarium back in june i believe. its been there along time and has no visible signs of breaking down. even the suction cups are still clear. i havent seen any signs of gasing off or breaking down.

wash it out and throw it in the tank.

This is a great idea.

I saw this thread today and went out and bought 2 at Home Depot. Same exact model.

QUick question.

How much do I have to clean this thing before use?

Do I have to soak in overnight or anything?

Will this plastic basket outgas or leach anything dangerous?

Or can I wash it and drop it right in?

home depot!!!! why didnt i think of that! and its the same exact model??

what was the price?

who cares! they are cheap!!

think they have any good ones at bed bath and beyond???

i like seein the look on the sales girls face when i tell em what im trying to do with the soap dish....

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
think they have any good ones at bed bath and beyond???

i like seein the look on the sales girls face when i tell em what im trying to do with the soap dish....

lmao! yeah i imagen bed, bath and beyond has them, although i imagen there twice the price. :)

LOL i got dogged on my in tank fuge-es

check out the comment in my gallery!

ive used glass jars for years w/ lots of success....

only problem is they can be an eye sore and are not that easy to work with,

you have place them where flow spirals in and out

pretty much no real mod unless you have a big jar

maybe a small olive jar or baby food jar in the big AC filter could work

this way you can still run carbon and other media...

probably could get away with not siliconing it at all if the cheato is isolated

just when using them you have to consider flow

post-22467-1162109633_thumb.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

when i first started this thread, i figured you'd all think me crrrraaazy for using a soap dish in the aquarium :P

however they really do come in handy.

seriously though, why do you have so many jars in there?

charging the 5'' sandbed i have in my tank....remember i got wiped out by the summers heat??

sorry, im not familiar with charging sandbeds ;)

its pretty much how you make your own LR and sand....

you just gotta start growing pods and other stuff on a ridiculous scale.....

im startin to see little worms in the sand now.....i got one jar, one on lower left thats just full of some unidentified worm.....i know its a harmless sand sifter, the other jar on the right is amphipods and copeopods......

swoop, my hawk fish is there for any isopods and is keepin my amphipods in check...

if i can ever get the old man at LFS to come off some of his sand in this one tank hes got, ill have a jar growing limpets and chitons.....

he had a heart attach and lost his whole SW section while he was in the hospital....

scary looking to the novice, them tanks are teeming with life....

he's raising pods in some tanks w/o a real filter!! maybe an air line if its luck!!!

even the ones that look like an oil spill disaster have pods, thousands!!

post-22467-1162140724_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
foolontheplanet

hey guys, awesome idea! just found this thread and i ran around for a while and found a good one at target. I know everyone has a target around them, so if you cant find one, they have them there. again, awesome idea.

ALittleSalty

I wonder if you added a u-tube to this, and mounted it high up in the tank, would it work as an internal overflow box?? Jon

This soapdish thing is one of the best ideas ever. I have my chaeto all in my tank and it is getting on my nerves. I think I will go out and buy 2 or 3 for my chaeto!

• 1 month later...
formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

well i have to say, after putting the soap dish on the shelf for a while, its once again proved it worth.

this has to be my fav. use for the $3 soap dish.

feeding times always a treat in the dish. for both the horses and spectators. :) )

IMG_3861.jpg

IMG_3859.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
crazinezz978

nice horses...im def. gonna look into this chaeto dish in the future...

...also will 2x65w pc's be sufficient to support chaeto in a 55 gallon tank if placed in the middle depth area?

Archived