Top Shelf Aquatics

the $3 soap dish

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

non-photosynt
where did you get them for a $1. inquiring minds want to know :) :)

btw love the macro tank. could i get the link for the vender again, its not working in your other post.

Dollarama - big chain $1 store. ;)

superioreef.com - slightly inconvenient navigation, if you click on the name of the frag, it will show picture, possibly side-by-side with macroalgae. I asked him specifically about colorful algae.

Icy, if you know, how to keep dragon's tongue (or whatever this red lettuce-like macroalgae is) alive, and ulva too - please post. Somebody said to tuck piece into the rock, it will eventually grow from there - ulva just died. Red one was moved by flow into the LR - it was the last time when I saw it.

Very interesting solution for the overflow box - thanks for posting.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think the skimmer is going to have to wait again :(. the soapbox idea didnt work and i dont think my diy venturi is that great either. I will have to try to get a venturi injection peice and then the box. the leak wasnt fixed all the way either. for some reason, skimmers have always been hard on me. ;)

on the soap dish note, i picked up a few frags today, so i got myself a bigger soap dish :)

IMG_0759.jpg

what is that you are using to mount your frags to? looks kinda like cement disks or something.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
what is that you are using to mount your frags to? looks kinda like cement disks or something.

frag plugs (agaronite sand and cement)

i bought these from a local reefer. i was a test subject so i'm not sure if there on the market yet. he's developed/marketing a few products to make the hobbiests life easier, including his own reef buffet. (frozen mixed food)

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

non-photosynt

Do you know anything smaller, than smallest soap dish (they come in 3 sizes), more opened grid for a better flow, and covered from all sides (lid?)?

I'm trying to find something to protect the smallest frags from fish, and place this in the highest flow, not only at the top of the tank.

• 3 weeks later...
homehardware (not to be confused with home depot), but walmart has similar products

homehardware?? ive looked at the wallyworld ones and they are smaller, only one or 2 sizes.... do you remember what BRAND it was??

Got mine from wally world... 2.99 i think.

I just drilled about a dozen or more holes in it for more flow. It keeps the cheato right where I want it!

P1010017.jpg

The Propagator

You know what ICY I just found a but load of those dishes for $0.59 cents at Miers grocery and department store.

( you guys ave a Miers right?)

Found them hanging on one of those gay clip racks they have randomly hanging around various isle near the canned goods.

I bought 5 of them LOL!!

THEY ARE GREAT for holding my frags and keeping them in order while bagging up orders. I can usualy fit 3 - 4 frags in one dish. Makes life easier when you can keep them in order.

yeah I saw them at the dollar store the other day for um $1. I was going to get one but it is pretty big for a 10g, maybe on the next trip to the store I'll pick one up.

i was thinking divided betta tank that has suction cups, goes in tank...or some sort of specimen container....since i cant find one the size i want.... i could dremel holes in it.....

but that bumps the price up to 5+ more

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i have 3 sizes.

IMG_1137.jpg

the smallest (top) was $3 the frag rack, $5.

i just ran next door to home hardware (30 seconds away) and snapped this shot. this was the largest they had, and the most exspensive (canadian prices) its alot taller

IMG_1145.jpg

all were the same company and riddled with square holes. i havent found dollar store dishes yet,but i gotta tell ya, the home hardware dishes have top notch suction cups.

if you dont use the release taps, i could see you breaking the aquarium by trying to remove the dish.

IMG_1146.jpg

how good are the dollar store ones?

prop unfortunately we dont have a miers (that i know of)

my largest dish would prabaly hold 2 large tins of spaghetti sauce.

non-photosynt

Don't mean to sound critic, but when buying the same quality junk, I prefer to pay less (I hate all 3 kinds of stores equally), also this price makes it disposable. :)

In Dollarama they are of the same 3 sizes, never bought the largest, its slightly differs, smaller 2 looks exactly the same (but labelled as imported for a Dollarama chain).

Additional function - nice parking space/perch for a lion (was in 20XH).

Animals appreciate plastic, this is half of year later with the different lion, 90g:

Generally, this is a sleeping basket for a tassle file:

As for suction cups, can't say - after cleaning glass with the razor blade keeps much better. Now it's where the flow from Seio 620 (~600gph) reflects from the front glass and ~6" romboid fish pinches it with a lot of force, it holds.

Really, on slimey or coraline covered glass was worse.

Speaking about plastic holders in tanks: anybody knows something better than breeders box to hold tiny sexy shrimps safe and visible? No large holes, as in soap holder, of course.

non-photosynt
lee's (not me, i spell it leigh :) ) specimen containers

http://www.petdiscounters.com/product.php?...=318&page=1

Bought this one recently, no flow inside at all. Also, it's narrow and deep, hand with tweezers will not reach bottom for a cleaning.

The only boxes with flow that I had seen, are in-tank refugium with pump and Beta Barracks, same size as specimen container, same problem.

Sorry for the hitchhiking the thread, but if in the wider meaning - using ready-made widely-availble plastic items for the tank's needs - could be to the topic.

Thanks.

Bought this one recently, no flow inside at all. Also, it's narrow and deep, hand with tweezers will not reach bottom for a cleaning.

The only boxes with flow that I had seen, are in-tank refugium with pump and Beta Barracks, same size as specimen container, same problem.

Sorry for the hitchhiking the thread, but if in the wider meaning - using ready-made widely-availble plastic items for the tank's needs - could be to the topic.

Thanks.

no flow? try dremel!

i think the speciemin containers turn yellow ;) not sure about the betta barracks yet...

ive even seen some spiffy looking plastic live bearer traps that might work (tom)

for now im using a 6'' 8'' deep restarunt lexan container

why pay 30$+ for an intank fuge?

post-22467-1161792774_thumb.jpg

post-22467-1161792795_thumb.jpg

The soap dish gives me a wild idea. Imagine building a nano tank with just lots of soap dish (big and small) positioned in such a manner at the sides to capture as much light as possibel so that we can have zoos and mushrooms etc. The water flow will also be great as the water can swirl around these "open sides" of the soap dish.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

the soap dish has a new purpose in my aquarium. i glued some screen into the dish, and tomorrow i should be picking up 7 tiny bangii fry :)

i'll post some pic's when i have recieved the new additions.

:)

Archived