Pod Your Reef

Lil' Dixie - YTIII

yankeereefer

Haven't updated any of my threads for a bit.

No major changes here - That pod from previous post has disappeared (back in the chaeto?). The pep molted the other day, so I guess that's a good sign.

I have to go out of town on business for a few days so my finacee will be looking after my tanks :unsure: She'll be allright as she's watched me mess with 'em enough times.

I found a flower anenome at an LFS - It's one of the green ones. It was $15, but I passed on it since I was leaving town and because it was a bit larger than I want for the pico. If it's still around when I come back, I might pick it up for the 10g.

Anyways, that's it for now - See ya Thursday!

Update-

Was depressed over my YCG jumping out of the 10g (check 10g thread) so I went to LFS last night to just "look"

Came home with stuff for the pico - Got a purple hairy mushroom, a small frag of Anthelia (sp?) and small mat of these little tiny star polyps - Along with this stuff came a couple of hitchikers; a micro sized starfish and a chiton

Shroom looks settled in this morning and the anthelia, although it's branches have opened back up, was still leaning over on itself. The polyp mat hasn't opened back up, it may be upside down though :huh:

Haven't seen the mircostar again since putting it in and the chiton has disappeared too. Chiton's though I read are more active nocturnally, so I'll look tonight.

Will post pics when I get home

YR

oh yeah, the LFS also had a few rock anenomes around the size of a half dollar (some were a little bigger) - They were like $12. They were kinda bleached out, they just came in Tuesday, so I don't know, maybe they'll color up by the weekend. If they do, I might have to get one for the mantis tank and one for the pico too!

here's pix as requested and promised!

chiton hitchhiker

DSC01953.jpg

FTS

DSC01957.jpg

zoas

DSC01964.jpg

zoas

DSC01963.jpg

new hairy shroom - still hasn't fully relaxed

DSC01968.jpg

anthelia (sp?) I think I have to move this as flow is too much

DSC01967.jpg

polyp mat - not extending very well - I may flip this one over

DSC01969.jpg

leather - this one's doing great!

DSC01966.jpg

check out my 10g thread for new pix there too!

YR

primeval - that's a pretty healthy sig you got there :lol:

I just got home from meeting a local reefer with some goodies!

small 2 head froggy for the pico and a rather large turbo shell encrusted with gsp!

I got a bonus on the frog frag - 2-3 small green palys - I pulled them off and stuck 'em in the mantis tank!

The froggy's kind mad right now and I think I'm gonna perform surgery on the gsp and share some of it with The Colonel's tank

Pix tomorrow hopefully!

Yankee

well the new frags are still kinda po'd-

I had the frogspawn in my pico and it didn't look any different than last night when I put it in when I got home tonight so I have moved it to the 10g for now.

the gsp frag (shell) went into the mantis tank right away - It was partially extending tonight, but I think the mantis was playing with it and keeping it mad, so it too has gone into the 10g for the time being.

I never posted new pix of The Colonel since his molt - Partly because he has been in hiding for the better part of a week. He's beginning to venture out again and has become more agressive towards the damsel.

Here's a couple of recent pix:

DSC01977.jpg

DSC01973.jpg

Enjoy!

Yankee

How the tank doing? I really like those blue/red zoo's! You have to send me some ;)

Did the frogspawn make it? Also, I started a thread on my tank so check it out!

texx

that's no hairy shroom... it's a ricordea. and a nice one at that.

good call. i was about to say the same thing. its actually a green ring ricordia. i had some in my old 5.5. its the only coral my wife really liked for some reason. they grew like crazy but my wife fead it directly a little to much i think lol.

How the tank doing? I really like those blue/red zoo's! You have to send me some ;)

Did the frogspawn make it? Also, I started a thread on my tank so check it out!

texx

That blue zoo frag was one I got for $5 at a frag swap - If it grows out I'll get you some -

I think I killed the frogspawn - I moved it into the 10g and it really hasn't come back out - I'm gonna have to try moving it someplace else in the tank. I'll either get another or try fragging the one I have in my 10g (but I'm kinda scared to do it)

The anthelia has really opened up and I already see new growth - I moved some stuff around so I'll have to post new pics tonight.

YR

its actually a green ring ricordia.

I thought it might be a ric - I guess I scored then - The kid at the LFS gave it to me as a "loose shroom" for $5.50 - There's another one still there that I might go pickup and put in the 10g B)

That blue zoo frag was one I got for $5 at a frag swap - If it grows out I'll get you some -

Awesome. Those zoo's are really cool! I am starting to add coral to my 2.5G this week. Also, LMK if you ever frag that ric!

Sry to hear about the frog. I just picked up a pink/green tipped one. Its like my avatar.

texx

LOL - I could tell by your post (in your thread) that you were getting excited about stocking - You've been patient during your cycle, don't add everythng at once - You still need to go slow

I might pickup that other ric and experiment with fragging it -

I'm thinking about getting a neon goby to put in the pico, albeit temporarily - I have a pod population that's going bonkers in it. My LFS has got a few real small gobies - I would end up moving it to the 10g once it out grew the pico.

What do you think?

YR

I thought it might be a ric - I guess I scored then - The kid at the LFS gave it to me as a "loose shroom" for $5.50 - There's another one still there that I might go pickup and put in the 10g B)

the funny thing is as soon as i left here and went to rc i seen a guy selling the same exact ric for $50 for just a quarter sized piece. alot of people posted saying it was a rip off but i know some people who would pay $30 for one which is also to high but you got a really good deal there. well good luck on the rest of your journey.

• 1 month later...

Geez, I suck at updating my threads

Pico's still running - Since last post I've added a couple things to it. Little green shroom, kenya tree and a couple more zoas - Here's a pic:

DSC02162.jpg

This tank's about at the end of it's run I think. The plastic is too hard to keep clean.

It will soon be absorbed into my mantis' tank

YR

Well today is this pico's last day I think -

Woke this morning to find my pep dead - Strange as he was fine last night when fed and water params are fine.

Oh well, The Colonel (my mantis) got a light snack. The rest of this tank will be migrated into the 5.5g mantis tank.

This was a fun tank to play with - Back into the box for now - Perhaps later "the South will rise again!"

Thanks to everyine for following this thread while it lasted.

Yankeereefer

• 8 months later...
yankeereefer
you're tanks are all pretty short lived aren;t they

My problem is that I can't stop spending money on my setups. :P They get full and I have to upgrade! That was the reason for the 10g > 20H conversion anyway. YTIII was to much of a pain to keep clean - Not worth the .5-.75g of water it held.

The 20H has been going since Nov last year and it's full. I've stopped adding to it so it'll just grow out.

The 5.5g mantis tank (YTII) is just about a year old. YTIV (no thread) is another 5.5g mantis tank that's been up for a couple months. It will be changed out shortly as it was only setup on a temporary basis until I got a new 10g setup ready.

Archived