seahorsejl

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Beautiful Tank!!!

Keep a good work, seahorsejl!!!

Thanks to both of you!

Well, not much new to report. Everything is doing fine, and I am content with the stocking level I have now (well, if I do find a nice pair of naked clownfish, I could be persuaded to get them ;) ).

I am a little distracted with a new fish tank I am setting up. I won a Fantasy Bowl (complete with stand, filter, and light) at a local fish club meeting last weekend! While I considered setting it up as a saltwater tank, I decided to go the freshwater route. I haven't had a freshwater tank in many years. So my plans are for it to be planted, with probably just neon tetras in it with some cory cats. I have had water in it all week, and due to the spherical nature, everything is magnified in the tank! I will post some pictures when it is completed.

A little off topic, but thought I would share two pictures of the tank that has been distracting me lately (I won it at the a local reef club meeting). I set it up as freshwater, and added the first residents this weekend. Currently there are 5 cardinal tetras, 3 panda cory cats, and 1 crowntail betta (wife named him Bruce).

Here is the best FTS I could get (the curved tank is tricky to photograph!):

IMG_6197_med.jpg

Bruce:

IMG_6213_med.jpg

musthaveitall

Nice tank, awsome recovery!! The long tintical plate is awsome, I think I might need one for my 24g Aquapod :happy:

-Clint

• 2 weeks later...
Nice tank, awsome recovery!! The long tintical plate is awsome, I think I might need one for my 24g Aquapod :happy:

-Clint

Thanks! The plate is very cool. My clown goby likes to swin around inside of it.

So haven't updated this thread in a while ... not much to report actually. I am starting to get a slight diatom bloom happening. I need to check my RO/DI unit to see if the filters need replacing.

No losses or additions. The clove polyps are spreading across the rock really nicely.

The clown goby still likes to go an sit/rub against my orange plate... which makes the plate very unhappy.

Will have to get a new full tank shot tonight (now that the tank is clean again :) ).

Thanks! The plate is very cool. My clown goby likes to swin around inside of it.

So haven't updated this thread in a while ... not much to report actually. I am starting to get a slight diatom bloom happening. I need to check my RO/DI unit to see if the filters need replacing.

No losses or additions. The clove polyps are spreading across the rock really nicely.

The clown goby still likes to go an sit/rub against my orange plate... which makes the plate very unhappy.

Will have to get a new full tank shot tonight (now that the tank is clean again :) ).

i thought the betta was a feather duster :lol:

i thought the betta was a feather duster :lol:

Ya, you would think one would post saltwater pictures on a reef forum :P

Beta went to the big bowl in the sky ... real odd that he died though ... as they are a really hardy fish (being related to gouramis). I think it was just the new tank syndrome and getting things settled. Lost 4 of the cardinals too, but that was weeks ago. The lone cardinal and 3 corys are doing great. Will have to start restocking soon.

modularduck

yeah labyrinth(sp) fish are cool! i have a bunch of different kinds...i really like the new tank thing. not sure what to call it. trust all is well with you man.

yeah labyrinth(sp) fish are cool! i have a bunch of different kinds...i really like the new tank thing. not sure what to call it. trust all is well with you man.

The bubble gum tank? :) It is a neat tank .. I don't like that I can't see everything in one glance (like my Aquapod), but it is cool, and fits nicely in our office.

All is well ... been busy with lots of non-fish tank stuff ... But the reef tank is mostly on auto-pilot ... I just gotta remember to feed the fish from time to time! My tongue coral does so much better when it is actually fed. Our 2 acres is keeping me chuck full of outside work when it is not raining. Plus my new toy (iPhone) has distracted me the past few nights. ;)

Yowza .. note to self, need to clean the two MJ900 pumps more often!

I have been getting a bunch of algae, diatoms, and some cyno on the sand lately ... so I pulled the two pumps, and were they junked up! After the cleaning, I had to add a bunch of water to keep the pumps from pulling air.

Hopefully this will clear up all that algae and cyno. I guess I have been just getting a tad lazy these days.

• 1 month later...

Lost the Long Tentacle Plate today :(

It started the slow deterioration about a week ago... no apparent reason why, it just did. Seems to be a common thing with Heliofungias.

Also, for some reason I have had a slow die off of my clove polyps. They grew and spread really quickly in the beginning, bu now the original ones have disappeared.

Rest of tank is doing OK. I noticed last night one of the heads on my green frogspwan is splitting! It was two distinct mouths on it.

Had to does some Red Slime Remover, just can't shake the cyno for some reason.

Will try to get some new pictures soon.

Oo.. and some good news... some of the pictures from my tank will be published in a new TFH book!

Quick update ...

Picked up a Tonga Conch and 2 little Cinnamon Clownfish this weekend.

(And yes, need to get some updated pictures)

• 2 weeks later...
Quick update ...

Picked up a Tonga Conch and 2 little Cinnamon Clownfish this weekend.

(And yes, need to get some updated pictures)

wont the conch get huge?

wont the conch get huge?

It is related to the fighting conchs, the LFS said they don't get big.

Pictures!! Yes you heard right, I finally got around to getting some recent pictures. And here they are... click on them for larger versions.

Blue Zoanthids:

IMG_7506_med.jpg

One of the 2 new Cinnamon Clowns (not the greatest picture):

IMG_7627_med.jpg

Orange Ricordia:

IMG_7634_med.jpg

Daisy Clove Polyps:

IMG_7721_med.jpg

Red Hermit Crab:

IMG_7746_med.jpg

Galaxia Coral:

IMG_7765_med.jpg

Full Tank Shot:

IMG_7850_med.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

:angry:

Thanks! In another year, all you will see is GSP :lol:

It has actually spread to the back wall now.....

i got gsp on my backwall of the 12 gallon, pretty neat isn't it?

• 1 month later...
:angry:

i got gsp on my backwall of the 12 gallon, pretty neat isn't it?

Yep, and it just keeps spreading, and spreading, and....

Gotta get some updated pictures of the tank. I had to move my large toadstool leather coral, as it was blocking a lot of light. It is pouting right now, as it adjusts to it's new location. I am seriously thinking about slicing and dicing it....

Oh yeah, I forgot to post this a few weeks back:

omgomgomg I caught the Sally Lightfoot Crab!! omgomgomg

Yep, the devourer of small helpless clown gobies and porcelian crabs is not longer in the tank.

Finally, some piece to it all (somewhat ... the cinnamon clowns started fighting to determine dominance, but that has settled down).

• 1 month later...

<blows away the dust> *cough* *cough* :happy:

Minor update ... added some new critters the other day. Added 3 more yellow clown gobies, a tiger turbo snail, and a six-line wrasse.

the six line was fine for a couple days then vanished... I fear the worst for him. :mellow:

But the new gobies are doing great, and I am slowly fattening them up.

The GSP is still working on the back wall. After a minor re-arrangement, I placed my Galaxia coral up higher and that seems to like it much better and is keeping the GSP at bay.

Will have to get some picture once I get the tank cleaned.

Hang on to your flippers.. I actually have some new pictures!

Well, once again, I did a minor re-scaping last night. My toadstool has just gotten huge and have been trying to find a spot for him. I had moved it to near the bottom for the past few weeks, but it was not happy at all... no polyp extension. So last night I think I found a spot it likes, up closer to the light. Today I am starting to see little nubs of polyps about to sprout up.

I also moved my ricordias up off the sand, and they seem much, much happier.

You must excuse some of the pictures. Seems my photo taking skills got rusty, thus some are a but blurry or dark.

Click on any of the below pictures for el-grande versions.

IMG_8589_med.jpg

"Jr." sitting on his favorite coral.

IMG_8578_med.jpg

Hi-fin goby with "snap" the pistol shrimp. That shrimp is probably the oldest moving creature alive in this tank. Got him pretty early on.

IMG_8611_med.jpg

Happy ricordias.

IMG_8609_med.jpg

The full tank shot. Please ignore the algae near the bottom... it is almost time for the weekly cleaning, and time to order new compact fluorescent bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey nice tank. If you don't mind me asking, what part of Texas are you in. I was just asking because there are not to many reefers around. Thanks and nice pics.

Hey nice tank. If you don't mind me asking, what part of Texas are you in. I was just asking because there are not to many reefers around. Thanks and nice pics.

Thanks!

I live south of Austin, so not close to Decatur (I had to look that up on a map to find out where it is :) ).

We have a local reef club here in Austin ... I would assume there is probably one in the DFW area.

Thanks!

I live south of Austin, so not close to Decatur (I had to look that up on a map to find out where it is :) ).

We have a local reef club here in Austin ... I would assume there is probably one in the DFW area.

Hey thanks, Yes there is one in DFW, but it is still an hour drive. Its on Wed nite, and I have to work.

I still dont see to many people from Texas on here. Thanks again.

Archived