Coral Vue Hydros

Kinetic's Custom 58 Gallon Oceanic Starphire Tank

kinetic

58 Gallon Oceanic Starphire

Introduction

Before everyone starts saying "wtf, another tank setup that will never come to fruition" let me just say, you might be right, but this time I will be compromising. This setup is far from my dream system, and won't cost as much, thus because a little detail is off won't cause me to sell it all off.

I decided on an Oceanic after browsing their tanks at the local LFS. Well made, high quality, and able to do custom work for a pretty good price. I went to Mermaid Aquarium in Fremont to get a price quote and help building the system components.

I decided on the 58 gallon (which is more like 59.7 gallons) because of it's size. It's a 36" long tank, perfect for the spot I want my tank to be in, and 18" wide, which is a great depth improvement over my M-Tank's 12" display area. The stand is also fairly cheap!

I will be reusing much equipment from my current setup, and some parts left over from my last setup, which will make this more of an upgrade from my 32g m-tank to a 58g oceanic starphire. Now onto the specifications!

Display Tank

Oceanic 58 Gallon 36" x 18" x 21"

3 Sides Starphire

Black Silicon

Corner Overflow (Acrylic/left corner) 9" x 6"

1.5" Drain / 1" Return

Stand

Oceanic 36" x 18" x 32" Red Cherry Oak Stand

Nothing fancy shamsy here.

Sump

SoCalCreations Custom Sump

Flow

Quiet One 5000 Return Pump (~1000 gph)

Dual 6045 Tunze Nano Streams (~2360 gph)

Return into a spray bar bottom back wall of tank

Lighting

Maristar 250watt HQI 14K Phoenix Metal Halide / 2x24watt Actinic T5 Pendant

4x CurrentUSA White Moonlights

24watt PC for chaeto in fuge.

Temp

2x 150watt Eheim Jager heaters

AquaLogic 1/6HP Chiller

In Cabinet Fans

Control

AquaController III

DC8

pH Probe

Temp Probe

Filtration

Remote Deep Sand Bed

Tunze Nano DOC Skimmer

Tunze Nano Filter (carbon / rowaphos)

Euro-Reef RS80

Supplementation

Coralife Ca Reactor 250

-Delux Co2 Dual Gauge Regulator

-5lb Co2 Tank

-A.R.M. Calcium Media

DT's Phyto Plankton

RotiFeast

Top Off

ReefFanatic Level Controller

TOM's AquaLifter

AirWaterIce Typhoon III RO/DI Unit

Stock

45lbs Collector's ReeferRocks (dry)

1" AragaMax Bahama Oolite Sand

30lbs Established LR (separate system to seed this one)

SPS + Zooanthids

Snails: 24 Cerith / 12 Trochus / 24 Nassarius / 1 Turbo

Crabs: 12 Scarlet Hermits

Shrimp: Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Here's some 3D models:

oceanic_setup.jpg

The box on the left is a RO/DI resevoir, on top of it sits a calcium reactor and a 5lb. co2 tank.

sump_area.jpg

sump_area2.jpg

sump_equipment.jpg

sump_sansequip.jpg

sump_sansequip2.jpg

sump_sansequip3top.jpg

Sump is 24" x 18" x 16"

Fuge is 24" x 8" x 16"

Skimmer Chamber is 14" x 10" x 12"

Return Chamber is 6" x 10" x 10"

Baffles between Skimmer chamber and return take up about 4"

There are probe holders and filter socks, one sock for the fuge drain, and one sock for the skimmer drain.

OMFG! Dude just buy a tank and set it up already!!!!!!

it needs to be exactly how I want it. i'll take it slow and make sure everything is right. it's all about the setup =)

Im just saying set some kind of tank up....It seems like youve been through a 1000 tanks already and non of them ever got setup!!!!LOL

Im just saying set some kind of tank up....It seems like youve been through a 1000 tanks already and non of them ever got setup!!!!LOL

lol

I've gone through two tanks that were never setup. I do have my 32g setup though! So at least I have one =)))

true...what happened to that awesome cube tank you were building?

sold them =(

They both required a basement setup, and I'm most likely moving out next year, so that wouldn't have worked. Putting this oceanic together would be easier to move than the other systems =/

sold them =(

They both required a basement setup, and I'm most likely moving out next year, so that wouldn't have worked. Putting this oceanic together would be easier to move than the other systems =/

I think you guys just like drawing up the plans and talking about the stuff. I just buy 20 gallon longs and stick a diy fuge on the back and call it done. :lol:

Yeah you might as well go all 3 sides....Starfire is so expensive, I really want my next tank to be made from it but I dont think my wallet likes the idea

yeah, I calculated how much, and this will cost a bit over $3000 if I pay retail for all the equipment. I only need about $2000 more at this point to finish setting up the new tank, since a lot of equipment I already have will be used on this 58g =) The bulk of the money will be the new tank, Ca reactor setup and the bigger skimmer.

ChronicClownfish

Kinetic...This looks really cool. Could you do us all a favor? Could you get a second job for a while to earn some extra cash so you can get this thing going soon. We can't wait! By the way, you are a madman, planning all these tanks. But that's what we like about you :)

Dude,

How do you pay for all these tanks?

I only have 1 tank right now, a 32g m-tank. I'm also not married, don't have kids, and I am good about saving up money =P

I'm not buying tanks left and right! I'm thinking of upgrading my current 32g tank, that's all.

big fat F WORD. According to the LFS, oceanic just raised my quote from $670 for the tank alone, to $2360.

WTF!?!?!?!!

I'm so ###ed right now. It took so long to get the quote finalized that now it's changed. They said it's because they just finished moving. If I f'ing ordered this right off, I would've been fine.

back to the drawing boards =( what tank should I look into next?

socalcreations...

oh and get the gumdrop goby pictures up!

-dave

big fat F WORD. According to the LFS, oceanic just raised my quote from $670 for the tank alone, to $2360.

WTF!?!?!?!!

I'm so ###ed right now. It took so long to get the quote finalized that now it's changed. They said it's because they just finished moving. If I f'ing ordered this right off, I would've been fine.

back to the drawing boards =( what tank should I look into next?

Archived