Coral Vue Hydros

New 7 Minibow

3twenty5

I've got a minibow7 and have the same lighthing. Have you figured out a suitable way to place your lights over the tank? I don't know if I should screw around with the hood that it comes with or to just make a new one in case I ever want to use the original hood. I'm wondering if that egg-crate stuff that you see for fluorescent lights would be strong enough to hold up the lights yet easy enough to remove?

Well since I have the refuge on back, I needed to raise the hood 3.5 inches. Also due to heat, so I took the glass out of the existing hood, cut the plastic whcih was behind the glass, then I built a temp wood u shaped support to hold the hood up and the back of the hood is held by the refuge. It actually works out pretty well since it supplies lighting for my refuge. I am trying to find something permanent to raise the hood, I was thinking of making something out of black acrylic

first phase:

lightRetro.jpg

second phase:

riasedhood.jpg

Refuge running full bore.

Have recently added 1/2 Fiji rock, Large strain of Grape Caulpera macroalgae. Pic below shows a filter bag with carbon just for temporary use.

• 2 weeks later...

3twenty5, did you switch from the 2-32W to 1-32W? If so, why? Don't get me wrong, I think one 32W is enough. I was just curious. I plan on running just one 32W csl retro.

Well it came down to lack of access to tools to build.

Since I am running the refuge on back, the hood could not sit flush on the tank anymore, so I needed to make something about 3 1/2 inches high to raide the hood above the refuge plumbing...so I decided to put the original hood back on and keep the stock light which fits..I wish I could use the 2x32....:( but decided I wanted the refuge more

• 2 weeks later...

I like that hood, if i get one, i might use a wire, and hang it from an overhead cabinet. ever thought of doing that? I am looking for a retrofit hood, i dont want to build another one, especially a bow front.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/lmsappr

This is a link to my minibow, The hood was simple, cept the front, Plywood cut for the top, same shape as the tank, then cut the front "curved" part off, ( i wanted the WHOLE front to hinge up ward ,Mission accomplished) Then made the "legs" out of the same 1/2 inch plywood, then screwed , nailed, however you wanna attach those pieces that rest on the lip of the tank. I plaed the plastic mesh netting over the back cuz it can be cut to shape for filters, keeps jumping fish in, and help circulate the air from the fans. No temp problems with the tank temp, fans come one w/ actinics in the A.M.

The tricky part was the front. I used a 2x6 to cut the lower brace for the curved part and attached that to the top of the hood with cabinet moulding strips cut at different lengths for a Modern feel ( actually I just couldnt get them all the same length, but i think I am more happy with them staggered) It rests on the curved front ( jigsaw masta' ) when it's hinged down. Very stable, open structure, plus you can poasition the lights anywhere.

Also, the plastic netting can be cut to accomodate PH cords incase of suction cup failure. Just cut one corner of the plastic square, and slip the cord through. It has held mine up in a near disaster. I am very happy w/ the hood, the only thing id change is have it hinge open more, But hey, i can get my arm in up to the elbow, sooo.. works for me. I will post more pics tomorrow on my minibow thread. Hopefully it works. I love the way it looks, everyone asks if it came with the tank :D

Archived