(1) 10,000k

(1) 7100K Blue

404 Mini-Jet

Painted back of tank Black

Added:

5 gallons pre-mixed Seawater from LFS

12-15lbs Natures Own Bi-Argonite Live Sand

8lbs fiji Rock / 2lbs Tonga (cured)

3rd day tank has been setup, I added water and LS first day, then 2 days later added the rock.

Light setup is very intense, seems to be a heat problem, I am using a tetra stick on thermo which I think is not giving correct temp, tank has been sitting around 83 pre-pc and now 85 with new PC's.

I will be adding AC 300 (modified to refuge) or a CPR aquafuge as added filtration.

I will test daily to see if levels spike, the rock was cured so i do not think I should have to cycle. If no spikes by the weekend then I will assume the tank will not be cycling.

yea it does have a fan with an exhaust on the otehr side. Do you have the plexi glass in? I am thinking I should take it out, but I am worried having the fixtures open?

I don't have the plexi, but I have a completely sealed tank since I have firefish. So you might as well consider me to have the plexi. I even have another 13 watt over my fuge and have no heat problems, my tank is always at 80 degrees.

I like the retro by the way. Looks really cool, and fixes the problem of worrying about lighting for the tank.

Hmmm, lower the temperature in the light fixture or in the tank? Not sure how it would affect the temperature in the tank.

Spudds.

3twenty5,

where did you get that light fixture and how much was it?

NICE TANK! Can't wait to see it with some corals and once it matures.

Originally posted by MacnReef

3twenty5,

where did you get that light fixture and how much was it?

NICE TANK!  Can't wait to see it with some corals and once it matures.

Thanks the tank has cleared and is not milky anymore. I got the light from marinedepot, it was $149. Very well made, has a big 3.5 inch fan on one side which turns on when the daylight bulbs is lit, and it has an 3.5 inch exhaust on the other side to let the air flow through. It came with bulbs, and everything ready to plug in.

Link:

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_lt_pc_csl.asp?CartId=

Model:

CLPCA15232

It about 2 inches narrower and about 1 inch longer, so it sits on the modified minibow hood for now, and overhangs the tank about an inch. I am building somethign to raise the hood abouve the tank about 1.5 inches so i can fit a Hob on back as pictured.

attachment.php?s=&postid=76210

Interesting!

Maybe if there is enough light span out the back, you can make your aquaclear powerfilter and fuge.

Dunno, just a thought!

I was considering doing that, the light does emit a ton of light. I must say your tank is one of the tanks that inspired me to go nano ....you do a awesome job

WOW!

I can't believe you just said that about me! :blush:

Thanx!

Let me know what you decide! I would really like to see some pics, so keep me updated! Your tank looks great already...keep up the great work!

BTW, you should see my tank now...I will try to get some pics. My macro has almost completely taken over my fuge...I will have to trim it back tonight. Also, I added another 65W 03 bulb making a total of 240W. It looks a lot better now and not so white. Oh yeah, I also took out that piece of lr you see in my display that is white with no coralline and replaced it with a piece that was completely cured. I also added two more baffles to my fuge for bubble control.

Again Thanx!

Would love to see some more pics...your setup sounds insane....would love to see some closeups of the setup of yoru fuge with some detail...I need ideas..:)

You cannot even hear the thing...very quiet. It comes with separate light switches for each bulb, the fan only turns on when the daylight bulb is active

3twenty5,

Hey, just noticed something...

You said that there is a lot of heat. Does your actinic turn on before your daylight and fan? If so, that maybe why you are having a heat problem. If your 03 is on for (lets say) 2 hours longer than your daylight, then the 03 is producing heat with no way to get rid of it besides putting it into the tank. Try flipping the bulbs so that the fan comes on with the 03.

But BECAREFUL when doing this, pc's are brittle and you may break them. I switch bulbs all the time and NEVER break them. I use waterproof endcaps and some times if you are not careful and don't wiggle them out. You could take the chance of leaving the bulb connection in the waterproof cap.

Just a suggestion!

I will be putting them on a timer as of tonight. The tank was already hot...stayed around 83 with the stock light that came with the mini. I plan to have the 03 come on b4 the daylight...so good idea maybe I should switch the bulbs...even though I wanted the 03 in back..:(

Ummm, well not sure how to do that....Don't have it in front of me. Maybe you can DIY it a little.

But either way, I bet it will turn out great!

UPDATE:

Seems the lil tetra temp sticker was off like I suspected. I now have the digi temp gauge and it shows a steady temp between 78-79. I have added 4 blue legged hermits, 3 astrea snails. Installed my 2.5 gallon refuge and move the minijet down on bottom and attached a spray bar for circulation. The lights are on timers with the Blue on a dusk/dawn effect.

Tank is a lil cloudy as u can see from the pics since I moved things around tonight.

attachment.php?s=&postid=78771

attachment.php?s=&postid=78793

Looking good, 325!

What made you decide to go with the aquafuge. I run a fuge now so I figure for my minibow (which I got last night :) ) I will go with simplicity! Just a hob.

Again, looking great!

UPDATE: Over 2weeks going now.

Added 2 nass. snails + Grape Caulerpa (Caulerpa racemosa) to the refuge.

First new addition to main tank.

2 Green Ricordea Mushroom

Archived