Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Another 2.5 up and runnin!

tmendeol

I'm so excited...I setup my 2.5 gallon pico on Sunday at work. I picked up two excellent peices of live rock with great coraline algea growth on them. Here's what I've got going on with this tank...

The tank itself is an Azoo Magic Box http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...2004+2033+2020

13" 24 Watt PC by Odyssea

Bio-Activ Live Aragonite by Nature's Ocean for the sand bed...I had a 10 pound bag and I'm guessing there's only 2-3 pounds unused so, I guess you could say I laid down a healthy san bed that looks to be about 2.5 inches thick.

AquaClear 20 filter on the tank with Chaeto in the area where the filter would be. I did something kinda cool with the filter too. One of the guys at work setup a really cool surface skimmer and I copied the setup for my tank because it just makes sense. Here's what I did...I got 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings so that in one corner of the tank is the PVC pipe pointing straight up at the lights. There's a coupler on the end of the pipe that I cut 3 slits in so that water from the surface will fall down into the pipe. I had to drill about five holes in the pipe so that I was getting water from both the surface and the middle of the tank height (Adding the holes also got rid of the gurgling sound it made before during testing). The pipe then follows down to the bottom of the tank and along the bottom back edge. Then the pipe bends straight up and connects to the pickup tube of the AC20. So, now I have a surface skimming filter on my 2.5 gallon pico tank

I can't begin tell you how excited I am to finally have a piece of ocean at my desk...this is awesome!

On Monday and today (Tuesday Aug. 8th) the water params tested with the "Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit" by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals are as follows:

PH - 8.0 but, looks between 8.0 and 8.2 so, I'm callin it 8.1

Ammonia - 0ppm, no question

Nitrite - 0ppm, no question

Nitrate - closest to 0ppm but could be ever so slightly between 0 and 5ppm

I think I cheated the system and here's why...the live rock I picked up from a local reefer was in a fully established, super healthy, tank and he gave me the majority of the water I needed to fill my 2.5 gal with. I'm guessing that I only had to top off with 3/4 gallon of Scripps water (filtered ocean water available at the Scripps Pier in La Jolla, San Diego for free).

So, with the live sand, live rock, and chaeto in my filter I think I've cheated the cycling process. However, just to make sure, I'm going to run my tank as is for at least the rest of the week and test params each day to see how she goes.

CIMG1306.jpg

CIMG1304.jpg

CIMG1299.jpg

CIMG1300.jpg

-Tim

P.S. Thanks for the inspiration Argent!!!

i like that surface skimming idea. any detail pics of how you set it up? i think i understand what you posted but i just like to double-check. was there any specific reason for running the connection to the hob along the back or was it more for location/positioning?

Good start!!

I'm in the same position you are in. I think I have cheated the cycle in my 2.5 also but I'm going to check it the rest of the week also.

Randy

Here's a cheap pic I just threw together to show the basic idea, and I mean cheap... SurfaceSkimmer.jpg

The holes drilled in the middle of the 3/4" pipe serve two purposes:

1) Allows less flow demand from surface skimming upper section so as to eliminate gurgling noises.

2) Allows the AC20 to still take in water from the tank to filter in case water is not at a high enough level to enter the surface skimmer upper section.

I didn't really have any special reason for running the skimmer section in the corner, through the bottom of the tank and up to the filter other than it was the most aesthetically pleasing placement to me. Plus, if it was placed to close to the filter's output it would seem to me that a good section of the tank surface wouldn't get skimmed.

Good start!!

I'm in the same position you are in. I think I have cheated the cycle in my 2.5 also but I'm going to check it the rest of the week also.

Randy

Thanks and good to hear you're having as much success as I am. Pretty exciting isn't it?! Looks like we're both going to be picking up corals this weekend, hehe fingerscrossed

-Tim

P.S. Forgot to mention that the strainer part of the AC20 pickup tube (the tip), was never removed and is the part that is shoved into the 1/2" PVC pipe.

I am going to make one of those this weekend! Thanks for the idea. Is there anything that you would do different after seeing how it works?

I am going to make one of those this weekend! Thanks for the idea. Is there anything that you would do different after seeing how it works?

Well, without actually experimenting with different positions for the skimmer tube I can't really give you much more than a guess. It seems to work decently. Because of the way the filter causes the surface matter to circle around in the tank I wonder if the skimmer would work better if it were actually closer to the filter output. I would say experiment with positions of the skimmer before you finalize your design...which is something that I didn't do.

-Tim

that surface skimming mod is very cool! can you tell if it makes much difference in the condition of the water?

This is my first tank and it's only 4 days old but based on how the water looks at this second, I'd say it seems to be working fine. The surface of the water is crystal clear with nothing visible to the naked eye.

The next time that I make one of these, I'm going to try to add the ability to fairly easily slide the coupler, that does the actual skimming with the slits cut into it, up and down. I want to add this feature so that I can figure out what height gives the best skimming. I've noticed that if my water level is fairly high the skimmer section doesn't pull in as much particulate as compared to when the water level is closer to the bottom of the slits.

Hope that helps somewhat.

-Tim

Dude what an awesome idea. So much in fact I had to steal it! :) I've also just started my 2.5g and in my research, came across your setup. Instead of the unsightly piping however, I came across some clear PVC tubing. No glue, no screwing, plus it's adjustable and.... cheaper! I drilled 3 holes through it as well and have a Topfin heater holder securing it where need be. I'll post a pic tonight or tomorrow. Again, great idea.... YOUDAMAN!!!

Dude what an awesome idea. So much in fact I had to steal it! :) I've also just started my 2.5g and in my research, came across your setup. Instead of the unsightly piping however, I came across some clear PVC tubing. No glue, no screwing, plus it's adjustable and.... cheaper! I drilled 3 holes through it as well and have a Topfin heater holder securing it where need be. I'll post a pic tonight or tomorrow. Again, great idea.... YOUDAMAN!!!

LOL, thanks! I can't take credit for the idea though, I stole it from a coworker. I figured that I might not be the only one who thought this was a decent mod. I can't wait to see them pics!

-Tim

Here are those pics!

Nice! I like it. There's something beautiful about simplicity.

After one week of solid water params...I got some frags from local guy that hooked me up nicely. Check out the pics...

CIMG1321.jpg

CIMG1318.jpg

CIMG1316.jpg

CIMG1320.jpg

CIMG1322.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I made an ATO based on Undertheradar's DIY, which is here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;p=entry

Works pretty good too! I chose to use an Azoo air pump instead of the hagen with a 3 liter soda bottle: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2004+113402

Here's where I got the float switch from: http://www.aquahub.com/store/ifloatfloatswitch.html

CIMG1330.jpg

CIMG1331.jpg

CIMG1334.jpg

CIMG1337.jpg

CIMG1335.jpg

Here's the tank under purple light...

CIMG1338.jpg

I'm starting to get a good bit of copapods in the tank...I'll take that as a good sign. I bought a Calcium and Kh/Alk test kits today and as I suspected, I'm pretty low on both.... 330-340 Calcium and 5.1 Kh. But I also just got my two part Calcium/Alk juice the other day so I can start dosing every day now. Here's the stuff I'm using: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113458

Things are coming along rather well and I'm really happy with the tank. I have so much fun modding the tank...hehe.

-Tim

How does the water get into the pill case to support the trigger? Is there a hole drilled in the bottom?

Yes, I drilled several small holes in the bottom... CIMG1332.jpg

And I had to drill some holes in the top or else water wouldn't flow into the pill bottle... CIMG1333.jpg

I'm really diggin this ATO. Now I feel confident about leaving my tank for 3 or more days unattended. It's noisy but, I only turn it on when I leave work and for the weekend. Then I turn it off when I get into work in the morning so I don't upset my coworkers too much :P

-Tim

tanks looking good. just a quick question; how long does the bottle last before you have to refill it?

Thanks...and good question. I've only had the ATO running since Sunday (Aug. 20) and I'd say it still has a little bit more than 2/3 of the water in it. Remember, the bottle is a 3 liter, not two. It runs like a charm other than sounding like a little motorcycle when it runs in those 10 second spurts. I'm willing to estimate that the ATO could run for at least two weeks on my 2.5 Pico before needing more RO/DI water. I hope that helps!

-Tim

AHHHHH! I think I saw the Virgin Mary in your shot under the purple light!!! =P Just kidding! Your tank is coming along quite nicely tmen, thought I'd stop by and hijack your thread (hehe) with updates of mine... :)

Latest inhabs are 6x blue leg hermits, an astrea, and 2x small xenias.

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

AHHHHH! I think I saw the Virgin Mary in your shot under the purple light!!! =P Just kidding! Your tank is coming along quite nicely tmen, thought I'd stop by and hijack your thread (hehe) with updates of mine... :)

Latest inhabs are 6x blue leg hermits, an astrea, and 2x small xenias.

LOL! Looking good! Where did you pick up that flexible tubing by the way? I love xenia...I swear the hypnotize me!

Well, I guess I should give an update too! Here are some pics...

Look at the difference in coraline algea after less than a month of startup collage3.jpg

collage2.jpg

collage1.jpg

collage.jpg

My crown astrea snail, Nimble and float switch for my ATO CIMG1364.jpg

Almost an FTS CIMG1365.jpg

I know the corals don't look all that special but I had just added the zoos, rics, water and the tank had been in moon mode for an hour before I took the pics so....I'll have to take more later when everything is openned up.

-Tim

Wow - nice tank - not sure how I missed this post (especially since I'm mentioned in it!)

I have a 2.5G at home I've thought about setting up but for now I think three mini reef tanks is enough. I'm going to just stock mine and let them grow out.

Tank looks good - I love that trick surface skimmer

Wow - nice tank - not sure how I missed this post (especially since I'm mentioned in it!)

I have a 2.5G at home I've thought about setting up but for now I think three mini reef tanks is enough. I'm going to just stock mine and let them grow out.

Tank looks good - I love that trick surface skimmer

Thanks Argent!!! Feels extra special getting kudos from you!

-Tim

Archived