Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help with Carpet Anenome

xxxjwxxx

I recently just got a Carpet Anenome from a LFS. It's about 2 - 3" in Diameter...

The thing looked really bad with two T-12 blubs over it...

I accilimated it properly I believe.

20 min in the sump with lights off

Put all the bag water + anenome into a bowl and did a drip method for 1 1/2 hours.

I don't have a picture of it but it looks like its bleached.. Either that or a really faint yellow. My True Percula is hosting him nwo after two days.

My question is how do I take proper care of this animal?

Specs

37 Gallon

24" Lenght

24" Tall

18" Wide

Sunpod 150w

Remora Skimmer

8 Gallon Fuge w/ Chateo

Tank Parameters (Tested with Salifert)

PH: 8.0

Nitrates: 25 ppm (I know it's high I'm working on water changes)

Calcium: 400ppm

Alk: 10.8dKH

Mag: 1320

Fish/Invert:

(1) 2" Percula

(1) 1" Blue Tang

(1) 1 1/2" Cleaner Shrimp

Corals:

Zoo's, Torch, Frogspawn, Candy Cane and Mushrooms

It sort of looks like this

Carpet_w_Flash.JPG

What kind of Carpet is it?

Fishfreak218

I say lower the nitrates, feed it regurlarly (about twice a week) and IMHO take the clown out for a little while... his hosting could/probably is stressing the anemone out.., give him a little to settle in....

he has attached to something right??

I say lower the nitrates, feed it regurlarly (about twice a week) and IMHO take the clown out for a little while... his hosting could/probably is stressing the anemone out.., give him a little to settle in....

he has attached to something right??

The anenome has found a spot and detached from its orginal rock onto my main tank rock which is bottom right corner. He has about 6" radius to expand until he hits the glass.

It doesnt seem like the anenome is getting stressed out, hes grown out like normal.

As far as feeding it, am i feeding it mysis shrimp or are we talking about the silversides?

The Propagator

Yep the clown will definately stress it out.

Clowns get REALY MIFFED if the anemone they chose as a host dosent cooperate right way. I have seen them actualy toss anemone's up like a dolphin with a ball ( that were detatched of course or on a very small rock).

It is SOOOoooooo funny but SOOooooo bad for the anemone.

You can just see the frustration in the clowns actions LOL!

It looks like a kid throwing a tantrum LOL!

I need to see a pic of this anemone. If its a tanish white you may have an atlantic carpet anemone ( AKA sun carpet anemone) and it may not be as bleached as you think it is?

Where did you get it from?

Yep the clown will definately stress it out.

Clowns get REALY MIFFED if the anemone they chose as a host dosent cooperate right way. I have seen them actualy toss anemone's up like a dolphin with a ball ( that were detatched of course or on a very small rock).

It is SOOOoooooo funny but SOOooooo bad for the anemone.

You can just see the frustration in the clowns actions LOL!

It looks like a kid throwing a tantrum LOL!

I need to see a pic of this anemone. If its a tanish white you may have an atlantic carpet anemone ( AKA sun carpet anemone) and it may not be as bleached as you think it is?

Where did you get it from?

Carpet%20Anenome.JPG

I got it from a LFS thhat doesn't know how to take care of Saltwater tanks, only fresh water... =(

Carpet%20Anenome.JPG

I got it from a LFS thhat doesn't know how to take care of Saltwater tanks, only fresh water... =(

The anemone this too white one, has the lack of zooxanthelas, gives good light so that it recovers. the somewhat high nitrates.

Greathings! :happy:

The anemone this too white one, has the lack of zooxanthelas, gives good light so that it recovers. the somewhat high nitrates.

Greathings! :happy:

What kind of anemone is it?

I have a 150w MH shining on it and I lowered the nitrates with a water change down to 5 ppm. I will do another tonight if it exceeds past 10 again..

You do not exceed too much in the changes water because it needs to adapt. ;)

Possibly it is Stichodactyla haddoni but not is sure, because your anemone don't have color ;)

Luck!

You do not exceed too much in the changes water because it needs to adapt. ;)

Possibly it is Stichodactyla haddoni but not is sure, because your anemone don't have color ;)

Luck!

Its acutally starting to turn more green.

My water changes are only changes nitrates, I make sure that the PH, Alk, Cal, Mag from the mixed water are the same as the tank parameters before it enters the tank.

The Propagator

Oh such words of encourage ment!

He is truely lucky to have had you post :) LOL!

That actualy looks like an atlantic carpet to me in that pic?

Get a better pic now that it has turned more green.

update pic

Carpet%20Anemone%202.JPG

I think my camera doesnt do well with these lights and there true colors.. Kinda makes everything blue, so the Green is washed out.

It seems like the more green is located towards the center tentacles.

Feed that poor baby PRONTO.

What kind of camera are you using?

Sony Cybershot.

Only 3x Optical lens :angry:

Edit: Just fed him some mysis shrimp. Hes going to town.

oh noes, somethings going on... In the picture below, theres a circle and thats the rock! Wheres his mouth??

Carpet%20Anemone3.JPG

Poker_Fish777

you might want to watch out for your tang cuz a 1"er could be a nice snack for the anemone in such a "small" tank. also what kind of flow is the anemone getting?

The Propagator

Its only a matter of time now until you have a dead anemone :(

That hole you see straight through to the rock was more than likely its mouth. :(

Its either gonna split from stress and become two or its gonna crap out and die.

I would guess crap out and die though :(

Sorry :(

the anemone has found its way under a some rock and started to hide. It's coming out slowly... I guess onlyh tim will tell. I have noticed that the anemone is not full of tentacles towards the mouth. Thers a certain raidus that there are very few or none... maybe 1/2" radius around its mouth.

Poker_Fish777

that is usually normal (the "missing" tenticles). try to see if maybe the clownfish is stealing the food before it can get to the anemones mouth. if you see the clown being aggressive try hand feeding it like a piece of raw shrimp

that is usually normal (the "missing" tenticles). try to see if maybe the clownfish is stealing the food before it can get to the anemones mouth. if you see the clown being aggressive try hand feeding it like a piece of raw shrimp

Update: Well before I left for work the Anemone was showings itself again. The clown fish only uses the Anemone to sleep in during the night and doesnt even touch it when the lights are on.

Try to hand feed the clown raw shrimp? or feed the Anemone?

Feed the anemone. Once a week a raw shrimp from the supermarket semi peeled I leave a little shell because in nature they get shrimp with shell. No idea if it matters really. Not more than two a week.

post-15762-1154707617_thumb.jpg

Archived