Coral Vue Hydros

Help with Carpet Anenome

xxxjwxxx

Feed the anemone. Once a week a raw shrimp from the supermarket semi peeled I leave a little shell because in nature they get shrimp with shell. No idea if it matters really. Not more than two a week.

wow how big is your anemone? Lucky I have a taller tank to host him!

Alright, ill get some raw shrimp for him.

firefishbrain

just get rid of it, not only if it does start to do well, it WILL cover the entire tank, hence the name, they get HUGE... put it in a better tank that you might have or return it. save yourself lots of trouble with a inevitable crash.

Carpet anemone grow bigger than most people's tank. Unless they die first.

Like goniopora and other "should not keep animals" these should only be kept in very big tanks with stable parameters. Unlike corals these can also not be easily fragged.

So unless you have another tank the size of which matches those in marine parks you really shouldnt keep them. Unless you're a newbie and just discovered that. Now you know your mistake.

Good luck.

Another so-called small anemone which people insist on keeping but shouldn't:Bubble Anemone and Long Tentacled Anemone. Most die so they think it wont be a huge monster it really is.

(in the wild carpets grow to 12-15 feet diameter, bubbles grow 3 feet and long tentacled twice a bubble. These were specimens I viewed in the wild.)

Poker_Fish777

true to an extent, but i think everyone can agree that no species can grow to its potential in a home aquarium. IF you get your hands on a hardy specimen thats been caught in the wild without most of the factors that lead to quick deaths, such as damaging handlers, then i believe with proper care that such species can adapt to these lifestyles. not including larger fish like carcharhinidae.

But a Scyliorhinidae is my next project specifically a coral cat or epaulette :D

I want to see an updated pic of this carpet anemone.

Updated Pic

Hes coming back out after hiding.

Carpet%20Anemone4.JPG

Updated Pic

Hes coming back out after hiding.

Carpet%20Anemone4.JPG

I can't offer any advice regarding your anemone, but look through the manual for your camera and see if you can manually set the white balance - follow the directions and shoot a piece of PVC placed in the tank under the lights - this will help your camera better represent the colors of things in the tank.

worst case, try using the flash, colors won't look like they do under your lighting, but may look a little more true to life.

The Propagator

If you can turn the actinics off.

Also use your flash with a white envelope or white sheet of printing paper in front of it pressed up against the glass.

Practice taking pics like that and adjust your light/dark, or back lighting settings ( how ever your particular camera has it labeled) on the camera as needed.

The paper will defuse the flash and reflect it off of you also.

This makes for a crisper more colorful pic with less wash out.

true to an extent, but i think everyone can agree that no species can grow to its potential in a home aquarium. IF you get your hands on a hardy specimen thats been caught in the wild without most of the factors that lead to quick deaths, such as damaging handlers, then i believe with proper care that such species can adapt to these lifestyles. not including larger fish like carcharhinidae.

But a Scyliorhinidae is my next project specifically a coral cat or epaulette :D

A quick scan in the web of successful carpet anemone owners show tanks being over run by this animal. These animals even live longer than us. While size limiting might happen to fishes, these animals perish before that happens. Of course there is the flip of the coin--the other side. Those who are silent as they have learned from the deaths of their carpet anemone.

There is no difficulty collecting them (or perhaps cloning them) even in the wild. And handling them is even easier so I doubt many specimen sold are badly collected but rather badly kept or maintained by holders/sellers.

Good luck on your shark. I imagine you have a nano-pool. :o

Carpet anemone grow bigger than most people's tank. Unless they die first.

Like goniopora and other "should not keep animals" these should only be kept in very big tanks with stable parameters. Unlike corals these can also not be easily fragged.

So unless you have another tank the size of which matches those in marine parks you really shouldnt keep them. Unless you're a newbie and just discovered that. Now you know your mistake.

Good luck.

Another so-called small anemone which people insist on keeping but shouldn't:Bubble Anemone and Long Tentacled Anemone. Most die so they think it wont be a huge monster it really is.

(in the wild carpets grow to 12-15 feet diameter, bubbles grow 3 feet and long tentacled twice a bubble. These were specimens I viewed in the wild.)

a 15 foot carpet???!!!??? I highly doubt it. S.gigantea maxes out at about 20". S.hadoni might hit 24-26" and S.mert might make it to 30". I am not certain of the S hellinthius (atlantic carpet) Even the largest anemone (H,magnifica) usually maxes out at about 36-40".

Also , we have come a long way with reef keeping husbandry , and keeping anemones is not all that difficult if you are prepared to set a tank up to house such an animal. Nano tanks are typically not suitable, but it can be done.

Anemones can and will grow to their full potential in an aquarium.

one of my giganteas is 12+ years in my presence and another 2, years. I have lost track of how long I have had hadonis. I have bubble tips that are 7+, an H.mag that I have had for over a year.

The anemone in question doesnt appear to be in very good shape. It is very bleached (expelled zooxanthallea), and the hole is definitely not good. Chances of recovery are slim, but possible. feed it small pieces of food, not large silversides. Anemones can and will eat large hunks, but it requires more energy for them to digest, sometimes causing more stress. Water flow and good lighting is very important (mostly water flow.. strong/brisk alternating flow.

If I have to guess, it is an S.gigantea. Supposedly one of the hardest anemones to keep. bieng so bleached, ID is more difficult. Can you see verricue on the undersides of the oral disc? if so, is there any color to them? giganteas usually have purple/blue verricue.

S.hadoni have been known to eat fish, but I dont believe that giganteas are quite as efficient at capture. I have never lost a fish to either of my giganteas.

Poker_Fish777

which reply prop?

reiple, i plan on housing the shark in a 12g aquapod...

lol jk im gonna setup a 220g in about a year, year and a half. I have a killer tank for it that ive been planning/preparing for, for the past 2 yrs.

oh and check out debbeach13's 17year old carpet

Archived