Top Shelf Aquatics

I give Porcelain Crabs an A+

vike50brian

vike50brian

I believe both are considerd porcelian crabs. You can tell which is which by their color, the anemone is always going to be white in color and the non anemone come in several different darker colors.

When i first got mine they were very timid. Always hiding in the rock work and even get spoked when i would approach the tank. But now they are always visable, hanging out in their favorite spots playing catch with their mits and could care less about me. Also, they are very good at cleaning the sand, which is what the crab was doing in the picture.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the only reef safe crab out there....I love mine

Thats because they're not a true crab ;)

:)

I had a nice tiger-striped blue one, but it had a bad molt & didn't make it. :(

PaulieWalnuts

i just picked up 2 red porcelins (the first type that was posted) for $5 each and i love watching them fan for food...oh and i put the both of them in my 10g

• 5 months later...
sparticleveland

porcelaincrablz5.jpg

I took this pic yesterday before I released this guy into the 12G nano. It's a blast watching him wave his little fans -- he chose a spot where we can see him if we are willing to crane our necks a bit, heh.

I got him for 12 bucks at the LittleLFS -- they aren't that great on their knowledge but they always get oddball stuff you can't find at the LFSuperstore. I check there every week and have got this guy, a GSP, a mushroom and a bunch of turbo snails for about what I would have paid for one GSP at the LFSuperstore. All the critters have acclimated well and are thriving.

I sure wish they'd get a pom-pom crab, though.

I had two Caribbean Porcelain Crabs, the blue mottled kind with orange fans and though they were the greatest. They were also very easy to take care of but just make sure your iodine is up to par so they can molt. Unfortunately however, both of mine got stuck during a molt in their shell and suffocated. eTropicals.com has the blue and black mottled if anyone wants some like that, its where I got mine and they were top notch.

thats the only break you get.... thats a shame ... the lfs near me (big als) is usually ok on most prices but some stuff is insane. They raised the price of their yellow polyps from 24.99 to 44.99 i was so angry and on the boxing week sale i marked some of the prices before the sale and they raised them by about 10 - 20 %. The thing i don't understand is if i drive to the next closest big als their prices are like half that of the one closest to me and their only about 1 hour apart.

At our store we sell 'em for $6.99

I've had one of the bluish and black pattern before, but my emerald didn't like him, and he lost both of his beefy arms, as well as his fans... He didn't last after that.

Here is mine. He is really neat to watch!

7436fc99.jpg

Mine was $8.99. He comes out a lot more than I expected him to.

Nice Pic!!!

Ive got 2 of those...awesome to watch...mine are eating Shrimp on a stick.

Sometimes they dont want to let go of the stick...lol

Izzue

Wow, I'm glad to see my post making a come back. If anyone is interested in an update on my two blue beauties, well, their dead! They died about 3 months ago almost 1 month apart. Still don't know what caused them to die as I've had no problems with anything else in my tank. Coincidently the first one died about a week after I added my pom pom boxing crab but I'm having a hard time believing that little guy could have contributed to the death of two crabs 3 or 4 times his side. Anyway, after an upcoming tank move in late March a new porcelain crab is first on my list of critters. And I will post new pics just as soon as i have them. Until then, everyone should make an effort to post pics of their own crabs. I love seeing the different colors these filter feeding crabs offer.

For good measure< here is an old pic of one of my late crabs showing a hermit who's boss. *kind of blurry but i think you get the idea.

post-20138-1170101551_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
PhillyEaglesFan

I used to have the blue one too, great addition to a nano, and fun to watch! I named it Ali because he waved his filter feeders like a boxer would throw punches. =) It never bothered anything in the tank when I had it, and is definately compatible with corals. I'm getting one when I purchase my next tank :D

I hate to brag (but I'm going to anyway)

I've got no less than seven in my 12ga.

All came as hitchhikers on the live rock.

Most of them are small (body about the size of a pencil eraser), but I've got two bigger ones (body the size of dimes).

Because I have so many, some are always out in the open due to competition for feeding areas.

Way cool additions to a Nano reef!

Lee

Picked up a couple last weekend and they seem to be doing well. I do hope they're come out more often since that's one of the reason why I bought them. :lol:

BTW, what and how much are you guys feeding your crabs? I've been using Phyto feast and Articpods; 2 drops of each for the 1.5 gallon.

BTW, what and how much are you guys feeding your crabs? I've been using Phyto feast and Articpods; 2 drops of each for the 1.5 gallon.

I dose phytoplankton and freeze dried cyclopeeze.

I've only had my tank set up for about 4 months.....so I don't know if this is good or not.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i'm climbing aboard the porcelain train but i want to get something straight before i get one. i've read that the porcelain anemone one can do fine without an anemone. is this true?

Any good places to get them in SoCal?

epic, i believe tong's in fountain valley had a couple when i was there last week, but i can't recall the price though. you might want to call em and make sure they have some left.

Yes, they'll do fine without anemones. I have two now...one never had anemones and the other just lost theirs. :( What I did was cut off a single polyp and put it next to where they like to burrow....the one that just lost it's anemones actually has been carrying the polyp around for a day. I haven't seen him/her yet today, but I hope it's still carrying it around. :D

Yes, they'll do fine without anemones. I have two now...one never had anemones and the other just lost theirs. :( What I did was cut off a single polyp and put it next to where they like to burrow....the one that just lost it's anemones actually has been carrying the polyp around for a day. I haven't seen him/her yet today, but I hope it's still carrying it around. :D

wow they can carry them around like a pom pom crab?

Archived