Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Texan's 5.5G Reef

irishtexan

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That what I was thinking too. I caught one shrimp that looked like a ghost shrimp at the coast but he died.

Whatever kind of shrimp he is, he is making a little tunnel. You can see part of it one the bottom right corner of the shrimp pic.

Some of the rocks are turning a really cool goldish color. Like the cave piece.

I have painted the outside of the hood. Here is a pic:

100_01182.jpg

I am going to add my CU crew soon. But surprisingly, the sand is not dirty at all. There is also not alot of algae growth. Is it because the rock is fully cured?

Also what kind of fish would work with this tank? A O. Clown? I need some suggestions.

Also, is it ok to paint the inside of the hood? Or would that be too dangerous once the lighting is installed?

texx

Sorry one more thing. Does anyone have any frags for sale? I only need like couple polyps of a few types of zoa's. Just give me a price. This is my first SW tank and my LFS has rediculous prices on coral. They want $25 for a quarter size piece of GSP!

Thanks!

texx

Well I ended up not ordering the retro kit because they wanted $135 shipped! That was way too expenisive for 48W of lighting. So... I was wondering if I would be able to install this retro kit into my wood hood, and it looks simple, is it?

32W retrokit

Thanks!

texx

SuperPuffer

hood looks nice, as far as the fish goes, i would suggest a neon goby or even a pair... a o. clown could possibly work but it would be way better ta have a light bio-load IMO...

SuperPuffer- Yeah I don't know what fish I am going to get. I want one that will be very active and entertaining to watch. Any Suggestions? The fish will come last.

rleon3003- I don't know about sexy shrimp. They are awesome shrimp but I don't want to take a chance of them eating any of my coral, but I am still thinking about setting up a 2.5G sexy shrimp tank in the future.

So I think I will do the 32W retro kit and install it in the new hood. I will probably be ordering it today or tomorrow.

I will be adding the cleanup crew very soon. Surprisingly the shrimp does a good job at cleaning too!

texx

lol, obsessed reefer. It was that exact retro kit, and it was 135 shipped. I needed the dual PONY thing and the power cord and that was all added on to the price. So I am thinking about going with this retro kit made for eclipse hoods. It looks really simple too.

Heres a link:

32W retro kit

texx

Obsessed Reefer

wtf??? I did it the most expensive way, and shipped to me it would be 86 and change. I did it with both actinics, duel ballasts, and dual cords

LOL. I just went there again to see what it was and I must have done it 2x because it was $135 for 2.

So should I go with the 32W reto kit or the 2-24W retro?

Was it really easy to wire if I get the dual PONY things and the powercord?

texx

Obsessed Reefer

Well seeing how I didn't upgrade mine yet, you could email Chris for instructions, but I would get the 2.24, I would get one bulb 10000K and one Actinic Blue.

I would definitely email Chris. Maybe he can wire them for you at a small extra charge. He seems like a nice guy.

Yeah I was thinking about getting the 2-24w too. I think it is a better deal.

Also, does anyone have any frags for sale, or willing to frag a little? I only need like a couple polyps of a couple different types of zoo's and some GSP.

Thanks!

texx

Ok thanks! I will be ordering that then I think. Sounds easy enough.

I really appreciate it.

texx

ps-How did you do in the logo for nanocustoms go?

Obsessed Reefer
:angry::angry::angry: I didnt enter. I'm not good at thinking stuff up. I wish I would have entered. Chris posted that everyone who entered would get a $25 gift certificate. <_<:angry::rant::owned: which I could have used to get some more lights

:( Sorry about that. That really sucks. My mom is a graphic designer. She created the logo for my dads business.

Can't wait to get some frags for the tank.

texx

Obsessed Reefer

Well I kinda have a frag of zoa's that if you want, just pay shipping.

Its like 30 polyps of a blowpop colony. I'll get pics later.

I would be interested but that is WAY too big to fit in my tank. Is there any way that you could frag like 5 polyps? That would be awesome! How much would shipping cost?

Yeah I would like to see pics.

texx

Well this is off topic but me and my family are going to Sanibel Island, Florida for about 5 days. Will my tank be fine if there is just a CU crew and shrimp in there? I mean will it need topoffs or any maintenence done to it? I have only had to do a topoff twice since the tank has been running.

Thanks

texx

Obsessed Reefer

Ok..

1. The colony is puny. I'll get some pics tomorrow...later today, didnt realize I was gonna be at the beach all night. It's like less than an inch, It broke off but is still attached by like 2 polyps. I'll get all the info later today.

2. Make sure your tank is all the topped off before you leave and it should be fine.

Obsessed Reefer

Umm. Maybe. Depends on two things.

1. What time I goto bed. Probably around 1'ish'

2. What time I wake up. Probably around 11-12'ish'

Archived