SaltCritters.com

90g w/ 30g sump

scarf_ace1981

scarf_ace1981

Finally a chance to start from scratch. i will be heading to queens tomorrow to look @ a 90 RR. if i purchase this tank, i will transport everything from my 40br and 28bow. i have all livestock and equipment. As for specs here goes:

Display:

about 100lbs of LS

all the LR from my 40br, 30xh and 28bow

Equipment:

400w mh on one side and a 250w on the other(sounds crazy)

seio 620 or 820 - i think the return will be enough flow, no?

Sump:

some LR

filtersock

Euroreef es 5-2 and remora(looking to upgrade)

mag 18 as the return (looking to upgrade to less noisy and less watt pump)

Livestock:

CBB

Coral Beauty

clown pair

lyretail anthias

flasher wrasse

Inverts:

3 linkia (orange; two multiflora)

3 skunk cleaner

Corals:

mainly LPS

wish me luck i'm gonna go look @ the tank today. should i be worried about my apartment floor being able to hold this thing? here are some pics the guy posted of his tank.

the stand needs work. but othing some plywood, molding and a curtain can't fix.

should i be worried about my apartment floor being able to hold this thing?

Maybe its the people who live below you who should be concerned! That's over 700 lbs of water weight, not factoring in equipment, rock, sand, etc. I'm not a structural engineer so I don't know what normal tolerances are built into the typical house/apartment, but I'm sure someone here can give some advice.

scarf_ace1981

i was told it would be fine. some guys i know have same set up as me w/ no problems. i guess i'm just stressed

proraptor2

The weight will be fine....Ive seen bigger tanks in apartments before with no problems.

You are going to have to use powerheads unless you drill holes in the glass for a closed loop. You dont want too much flow through your sump

i have heard of some bigger tanks in apartments and on second floors I would worry at all. Would you worry if you and three of your friends stood side by side in the same spot? (4 people at about 200 lbs a piece). Sounds like a pretty well thought out system. Get some pics up when you can.

scarf_ace1981

back from sunny florida. had a great time

i am a bit sad as i left the battery and charger for my little digital cam.

picked up the 90g last week in queens and just having it sit there empty in the living room makes me so excited

there are some scratches i would really like to buff out. but i am very pleased.

th_IMAG0016.jpg

th_IMAG0015.jpg

the stand needs some minor work like a back, sides and front doors. in no time it will start looking like a gem. i just can't decide whether to put it in my room(where i like my tanks for viewing pleasure) or in the front hall(where i don't spend much time). the tank will fit in my room no problem but i'm just afraid of having something this large in my room.

went home for lunch and just couldn't keep looking @ the tank w/o doing anything. so i got my dremel and made a circular cut on the top of the stand where the overflow will be. once i did that i encountered a small problem which i already knew. the legs of the stand sit inside the stands frame. i will have to remove them, cut them to size and then position them right under the frame. why? because one of the legs blocks a bulkhead. this is no big deal. just some minor modifications.

th_IMAG0024.jpg

i've also decided this tank will go in my room. i can't believe i'm gonna do such a thing. it's going in the exact location where my 40br and 30xh are currently.

while looking @ the sump i'm gonna use, i thought about the current sump set up and decided it would be best to make the fuge bigger and the return smaller. i'll just replace one of the baffles. i'll remove the one furthest to the right and glue it on the left side of the other two baffles. plus this way i'll have the water go under-over-under which is what i want.

i'm bored so i composed a list of the corals that will sit in my new gem.

rbta

2 fox coral morphs(green, tan)

2 lobo morphs (red and greenish w/ pink)

2 hammer morphs(frag swap hammer and waiting on anchor type)

1 frogspawn(purple tip)

3 bubble coral morph(green cat eye, pearl and reg cat eye)

4 favia morphs(christmas, greens and powder blue)

4 blasto morphs(reds, red w/ green etc)

4 acan lord frags(green w/ red, etc)

4 acan echinata morphs(rainbow,orange,etc)

2 open brains (red tainted)

2 candy cane morphs(green and blue)

1 hydno

1 maze brain

asst zoos(fire and ice, zoombie eyes, etc.)

asst mushrooms(rhodactis and yuma)

i will try my best to house corals of the same species together. thus allowing for less warfare and more peace of mind.

scarf_ace1981

last night i took the whole stand apart. the legs had been screwed on the inside part of the stand. i've decided to screw them on the outside.

i have absolutely no idea how i'm gonna set up this 90 and move three other tanks. it will surely be a long weekend whenever i decide to go ahead w/ it.

i put the stand back together and i'm not really happy w/ it's sturdiness. since i put the legs on the outside the stand sways a little. not something i feel comfortable w/. especially having 1000+ pounds on top of it. my guess is when i put the sides and back it will be stronger.

th_IMAG0002.jpg

th_IMAG0001.jpg

TheNanoReefer

i would add some support to that stand for sure. Check out my thread, i just started making my own stand and I have never done any wood work before, but I was extra safe in adding a ton of support. I could put a refriderator on top of this thing and feel confident.. lol

you cant see from the pictures, but there are 3 support beams going vertical on each wall, along with a top, middle and bottom support going horizontal on each wall. Then the 3/4" wood "walls" this thing aint moving!!!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92611

id definitly think about doing something though, that just looks flimsy to me

scarf_ace1981

wanted to make sure my return plumbing and return pump fit together.

th_mag.jpg

a friend of mine gave me a ride to LOwes in NJ yesterday. got the wood for my canopy and they even cut it for me. got home right away and started getting busy. it was pretty much attaching the sides to the front since all the wood was cut. ahhh, how great.

after putting it all together i realized i wanted the front to be a separate piece for easy access. i could leave it attached or unscrew the front. still not sure what to do. the canopy is far from done. i'd like to put some trim on it and make it look pimp. i also have to buy more wood to reinforce my stand. here are some pics of the progress

th_hood.jpg

th_IMAG0003.jpg

scarf_ace1981

stained the canopy last night. just to get a feel of what it would look like. i chose a very dark stain. i applied the first coat last night and i'll apply the second tonight. pics to come.

you guys see a problem w/ me putting in:

a carpenter flasher

yellowfin fairy

yellow coris

luboocks fairy

hawaiin four line

i would like a nice # of wrasses in my tank. this will probably be the max

i was planning to use a mag 18 for my return. anyone know of a better, lower wattage, internal pump i can use?

yellow coris are reef safe, but i've heard from a few of my store's customers that they are little @$$holes to the other fish, and cause nothing but problems. i'd add him last if you really want him, and make sure he's small.

scarf_ace1981

yeah i rethought the list and here's what i really want:

a carpenter flasher(already have)

yellowfin fairy (already have)

labouti wrasse

lineatus wrasse

luboocks fairy(already have)

hawaiin four line

• 2 weeks later...
scarf_ace1981

here is the canopy w/ one coat of stain.

th_IMAG0009.jpg

well my cerium oxide has arrived. i can start polishing my tank. yippy. and to think i only ordered it like two days ago and wasn't expecting it till next week. that means i can polish the tank and finish the stand this weekend. woohoo. it didn't come w/ any instructions so i left a message and emailed the company i got it from. we'll see what he says and how fast he responds.

the guy that used it to polish his tank didn't state either. all i know is he used a drill w/ a buffing pad. i'll email him also to ask it the powder needs to be mixed w/ water or sfome other substance.

http://www.bostonaquariumsociety.org.../scratches.htm

correction he says he mixed w/ water but i/m not sure if it should turn out like a paste or more liquidy

here's some info from the website. don't know how i missed that:

Cerium oxide is the polish of choice for glass. Before you can polish scratches out of glass, you must first determine how deep the scratches are. If you can feel a scratch as you run your fingernail across it, the scratch is too deep to be polished out with cerium oxide. You must first grind the scratch out.

The grit used to grind out the scratch will depend on the depth of the scratch. It is best to use the finest grit you can to grind out a scratch. I suggest starting with 2000 grit. If that is too slow, go to 1500 or 1200 grit and if it is still grinding too slowly, try 600 grit. However, after grinding with 600 grit, you will have to re-grind with 1200/1500 and then again with 2000 grit to remove scratches from the coarser grits. Only then, can the glass be polished with cerium oxide.

An easy way to grind out the scratches is to use silicon carbide sandpaper (the black sandpaper available at hardware stores or auto body shop supply houses) with water as a lubricant. After grinding, carefully clean off the area you ground with water and clean off your tools before going to the next finer grit. It's best to use an attachment on a drill, or an electric buffer.

Mix cerium oxide with water to create a slurry that's the same consistency as milk. Put the slurry on spinning buffing pad. Harder buffing pads made out of hard felt, or leather work best. The polishing action will be fastest when the cerium oxide is damp, but not dry, or runny wet. Fill a spray bottle with water and use it to keep the area you are polishing damp.

Glass is relatively easy to polish. Therefore, you don't need to use the more expensive 99.9% cerium. Instead, the less expensive 90% Optical grade will work fine.

i will start w/ 1500 grit then 2000 and finally the cerium oxide.

Looks like we are in the exact same place...i have an empty 90 sitting in my living room waiting to be set up. Its a new house so i wanna paint before i start settting up the tank.

but anyway..looks good so far! Keep us updated and good luck!

scarf_ace1981

well i'm almost done w/ the stand. i painted my canopy already but now i think i want to do something else w/ the stand and canopy. i don't want to paint it. maybe cover them w/ some funky material or do so some fox treatment. i know they sell these spray cans that give the surface a sort of stone appearance. not sure what to do.

th_IMAG0006.jpg

my euroreef es 5-3

th_IMAG0010-1.jpg

cpr fuge from steve. thanks man this thing is huge and in perfect condition

th_IMAG0008-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
scarf_ace1981

here's the almost finished product. i will be using some corner trim that i did not want to use if i would have left the whole thing stained.

th_IMAG0014.jpg

th_IMAG0011.jpg

Archived