Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Custom Stand for Aquapod 24

TheNanoReefer

TheNanoReefer

Created a new forum name but I had a thread last week about making a custom stand. Anyway, I have no expierence with woodworking, but wasnt happy with any of the stands available for my aquarium. So I went over to Home Depot and got some wood and started hammering. Lol, thats seriously pretty much the truth...

Just wanted to give an update and also look for some critiques and suggestions. I left the front open for now because im not sure on where to go from here. Id like a door in the front somehow but not really even sure how to connect the front piece. I know I need a piece that will bow a little, but even if I get a thinner piece, how do I "connect" it to the 2 sides? If i just hammer it on there its gonna look kinda funny from the side view and not look flush.

Also, its starting to look kinda boring to me. Once I get the front on its pretty much going to be a square box (with curved front)... anyone have any ideas on how I can dress it up a little with some moldings or feet on the bottom or something?

graphic.jpg

graphic2.jpg

TheNanoReefer

thanks man, i cant believe you went through all that!!! thats awesome!! Thats kinda what I had in mind. Im going to do that today and Ill update.

Now im just trying to come up with some ways to dress it up a bit. Id like to do some sort of molding somewhere. Not really sure where or what kind really. But Id like it to look more like a real piece of furniture rather than just a box...

any more ideas? lol

just an example, but did a quick search... this is the type of furtiture my wife has in the house. I know im not good enough to make anything like this but would like to do something to my "box"

e7_1_sb.JPG

AC7315A.jpg

after looking at that first picture, i was thinking once I have the front piece, I can kinda match that... make a square out of thin trim and put some decrotive trim pieces in center (whatever I can find thats nice, not to match that exact piece)

but i was thinking, you know the piece that sticks up over the tank a little to hide the black plastic of the aquarium? Well currently its about 1/2 inch too tall and Ill trim that, but was wondering if I could attach some crown molding type stuff there. I know the 2 sides and back would be easy, but is it possible to do it in the front curve area?

TheNanoReefer

okay, i tried and doing the curved front was just too much work. Im not that good at woodworking so I went the easy way. I curved the "lip" but left front door straight. I got some molding and bowed it around also and think it adds some detail I was looking for.

I dont like the straight bottom, so I think im gonna put some blocks or something to "lift it up" and put some more molding at bottom and let it hang down or do something like that...

then I was thinking of adding some sort of trim or moldings or something in the center... the main portion is just too plain...

I also added some more support beams and a shelf inside. This thing is STURDY!!!

its got some flaws and not gonna be a $1000 piece of furnature, but it i must admit, its not half shabby considering its my first attept at making anything with wood...

ex1.jpg

ex2.jpg

TheNanoReefer

it doesnt look like it now cuz the door is open, but that door is actually recessed up under the curved lip and looks pretty good when closed. But I need some magnets or something to keep it closed.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

recess your nails with a punch, add alittle filler and paint, and that is gonna rock!

cant wait to see it finished.

TheNanoReefer

thanks man, im pretty excited and its kinda fun.

i was thinking of adding some kind of corner molding piece up at the top bow area, i dont really like how I have them bumping up against each other. Was thinking of something like this but need it kinda short or wont allow door to open if too long

SMinside2.jpg

TheNanoReefer

well im about done. I changed it around a few times since the last update. I wasnt happy with the curved front. i couldnt get the molding to flush up and was darn near impossible. I waisted about $30 in moldings trying to curve them and get them right. So i just heck with that and did it straight.

All i have left to do now is putty up the holes, sand it all down, stain it.... I custom ordered a seahorse doorhandle for the door from Lowes. Its really cool. Im not sure if im happy with the door, the ornament looks kinda small, i might add some twirly thing or something on top and bottom...

so let me know what you guys think. Once my sunpod gets here im gonna start making the canopy. The sunpod will be hidden inside the canopy with some fans blowing air out the back (backless)

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

TheNanoReefer

here is a quick climpse of the color its gonna be. Man I actually have a grin on my face this thing has turned out really good for it being my first attept at wood working. Few flaws, but overall im very pleased.

stain.jpg

TheNanoReefer

well i threw away about $50 worth of wood changing my mind and trying to get molding to flush up, etc...

but without waiste it would cost about $125 i would say. I also bought a $35 saw that I didnt have, some stain, nails, nail punch, etc

iv started to stain it and its looking GREAT. the color is a little darker than that piece I showed after a 2nd coat. By this weekend I should be totally done with it. Then im gonna start the canopy.

TheNanoReefer

thanks for the compliments guys. Over the weekend I stained it, just wanted to let it dry thoroughly and Im gonna do a final sanding and spray some clear coat on it so if water falls on it, its protected.

The molding cost $16 a stick and I used 2 sticks, thats $32 right there. Then the side panels and door was made of nicer wood so thats most the cost right there. Then the support beams, etc was all really cheap.

My light should be arriving Tue or Wed at the latest, then Ill start measuring and designing the canopy. I hope to possibly have it done by this upcoming weekend So next week I can start thinking about getting some live rock/water and start my cycle.

Ill post some pictures and keep ya updated on this project. I have started another thread to follow in my signature. I plan to keep ya updated with my entire tank there.

Nails, eh? No wood glue, screws, etcetra?

Just a thought, but have you filled the tank up on the stand yet? I would be worried it can't hold the weight of 24 gallons of water...

TheNanoReefer

i used wood glue and nails, some screws also... i havent filled the tank on it yet, but I could put a house on top of it this thing is strong!!! lol

on the top part, where the aquarium will curver in the front, I dont like how that strip stops short. Im going to fix that also.

thanks for compliments guys, im pretty impressed myself.

As someone who paid $70 for the piece of crap aquapod stand all I can say is WOW, that is a gorgeous stand you made, you should be proud of yourself! Any chance you're close to MI, I'd gladly pay you to make me one too! ;)

Good job, can't wait to see the canopy!

Archived