SaltCritters.com

It's finally started...

BckPckr

My betta kicked the bucket (my he R.I.P.) so I am using his 1g aquaview from walmart to begin my first pico (Inspired by no other than Argent)

picotop.jpg

Here is the top view: it is an odd shape so I have devised a myself a dual airlift system I dentical to argent's

Picoside.jpg

Side view: the tricky thing is that all of the sides slant out from the bottom up

Hopefully I will have some pics of the construction by Friday.

Derby Reefer

Can't wait to see it in action. I think that is will be a cool idea. Many O days I have wondered by the fish department at Walmart and thought about those 1gal betta tanks. Good like. You thinking about LEDs for light?

Yeah, I am just going to mod a desk lamp, or a clip on, the hard thing is going to be evap. but I don't think it will be too bad

I'm having some trouble, I can't get the air to go to boths tubes, in only goes to one or the other, any suggestions?

Update: I shortened both of the tubes to even out the pressure, and it worked.

I got some pics of the finished tank, I water tested it and everything is a go, I still need a hood for it, I may mod the stock hood or something, but I haven't decided...

P7030013.jpg

P7030016.jpg

P7030017.jpg

P7030018.jpg

P7030020.jpg

clown fish rule

omg i have the same tank and i want to start a 1 gallon to sweet i cant wait to see what you do with it.........SWEET man

Got the pipes at my LFS, WAY over priced but I didn't feel like shoping around... It's just 1/2" hard plastic, I bent it by heating up the plastic, it ain't the prettiest, but it works. The thinner stuff is just 1/4" airline.

Do you think there is any way to mod that goofy-ass hood that comes with it? I'm no electrician, but there sure isn't a lot of room either...

I am thinking about tracin the plexiglass cover and cutting a slightly larger one out of acryllic.

I'm probably going to get a 13w galaxy light and clip it on the table its sitting on.

I am having a couple leaks where the airline enters, but this is my very first silcon job, so thats to be expected, lol. I am fixing them as we speak.

clown fish rule

ya there good. i have a power filter 20/30 im using and this is enugh flow for now.... and what good im going to try to get a small heater and put it in the filter to save room in the tank :).

and for lighting im going to get 2 of them aqua vases lights on each corner sounds good???

Sounds good to me, although you could probably get away with one of the lights. You think one of the little 7w stick on heater would be to much?

You sound like you are going open top, I don't think evap. will be too bad, but the only way I'll find out it to get it up and running. I hardly had any evap. with my betta, but there was nothing moving the water.

clown fish rule

well im not shur how much watta are in the light do u?? well a 7 watt will probally not be egugh. im probally going with a 25/50watt heater because im going to put it in my filter or at least going to try to:):)

and i think i need 2 lights because im going to be keeping SPS ans LPS mushrooms,zoos ect ect.....

and i am running open

lets here what you got planed!! :P

My house stays at about 65-75 in my room. So I'm going to cut some acrylic to cover the top and get a light so I can run a 10w coralife 50/50. I'm going to try a 7w heater and if it isn't enough I'm going to get a 10 or 25w and probably get an azoo filter and put it in there.

clown fish rule

cool sounds good :) and from my old 10gallon the stock light is about 20inches long. so what i have done i cut the edges down almost right to the light bulbes and it almost fits perfict on the little tanks and i got 2 10watt coralife 50/50s to :P and the 7watt heater might be enough. and the azoo filter would be good.

Jesse

Fishfreak218
My house stays at about 65-75 in my room. So I'm going to cut some acrylic to cover the top and get a light so I can run a 10w coralife 50/50. I'm going to try a 7w heater and if it isn't enough I'm going to get a 10 or 25w and probably get an azoo filter and put it in there.

im almost positive a 25w heater wont fit in there.... it will fit in an aquaclear 20 though

muhahahahahaha

I'm going to start getting a complex here with all these Argent inspired pico's popping up.

and -- ironically I have that same tank sitting at home too that I eyeballed for a pico tank but opted to pass on it. I'm tagging along on this post to see how it turns out!

As for one of those 7w flat heaters -- they are like 2.25" x 5" so you could stick that on the back wall of the tank and it should be fine to keep the tank warm. Or even a small 25w heater would fit in there too - but take up more space. Nice job on the airlift tube system too!

Do you think locktight is better than silcone? The silcon seems to not want to bond with the airline so water leaks through.

What are you trying to bond together? I used superglue gel for my entire project (it's good enough for frags and corals -- good enough for the rest of my tank)

Archived