inTank Media Baskets

3G Tank

irishtexan

I'm thinking my next tank would be a 5-10 gallon reef tank at home (I have like 15 pounds of tahitian black moon sand still in the bag), but I'd probably go with a regular rectangle AGA tank (or equivalent) makes it easier to get glass tops and lighting for them.

I have an AC70 on my 5.5 and I think it does pretty well. If I had it to do again, I would step up to the 110, so I could have a little more flow when I want it and a lot more water volume. It is easy to mod AC filters to give you less flow, but it is virtually impossible to mod them for more.

I also run a retroed perfecto hood (30W) over mine and I have has success with mushrooms, various macros, chalices, zoas, palys, and one stony coral.

If you want to see it, there's a link to my tank thread in my sig. It has macro pics of all my livestock as well as pics of all the equipment that I run.

PS: Thank you Jeremey for the heads-up, but should have chosen one of my newer, better pics. ;) Like this one:

5-31-06%20FTS%20pp.jpg

EDIT: I am also planning to upgrade and move the contents of this tank into a 2x10g system. If I had the $$ when I started, I would have started with a 10g AGA instead of a 5.5g.

JeremyChase
PS: Thank you Jeremey for the heads-up, but should have chosen one of my newer, better pics. ;) Like this one:
send me some free frags :PB) J/K :angry:

Did you see my post talking about the cost of the different systems??

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...pic=89326&st=0#

I want to go to a bigger system for my marine tank as well, but still have some work to do on my 3 gal! I thought my 3 gal was maxed out for awhile, but I changed my mind, but I am a little afraid of a tank crash though..... Throwing caution to the wind; I'm picking up 2-3 zoo frags tonight!! I also have another light upgrade plan for it... I'll post pics if it works out :)

-Jer

irishtexan

Yes you will have to do post pics. Thanks for everyones help. The reason I want a 5.5 is because it is going to go on my desk at home. I want keep a frogspawn, rics, tons of zoos, xenia, gsp, and some type of macro.

Upgraded List:

AC 110-price?

regular mounting legs-$6.99

Thanks! Keep those suggestions coming!

texan

I seem to keep running into you, irishtexan!

I came very close to getting the 3g setup you were originally looking at, but went with the 5.5 AGA because I really wanted to keep at least 1 fish! I would be a little hesitant to put a clownfish in a 5.5, but it is doable, as evidenced by Mr. Fosi's success. I think he might have a skimmer on his tank tho, which would make a difference with the higher bioload. I was planning on just doing a small goby of some sort, myself, or a firefish. Haven't decided yet. I think the $31.49 light fixture you're looking at would work really well. If I had seen it when I was setting up my tank, I would have gotten it. I have an AC 70 on mine, and plan to mod it into a refugium. PetSmart has it on their shelf for $40.00, but they are selling it online for $27.99. If you go to www.petsmart.com and printout the online price and take it into the store and show them, they will give it to you for the $27.99 price and you won't have to pay shipping. That's what I did. I find that the flow from the AC 70 is more than enough, and even a little too much. It was blasting my sand all over the place. I got an AC mini impeller to put in it to slow things down, per others suggestions. The impeller was around $7.

For the refugium light, I got a clip-on light fixture from Home Depot for $12 and will be putting a screw in 25W compact flourescent bulb rated 6500K. It's $4.00 at Wal-Mart. Look for the "Daylight" or "Natural Sunlight" bulb.

Oh, and on a side note for the live rock you were looking at, I think it's probably worth to pay extra for the overnight shipping. I got mine 2 day, and wish I'd done overnight.

Hope this helps.

irishtexan

Ok. Well I would really like not to have to switch out the propeller. So can I just get a smaller AC or will I not have to change it? Yeah I am going to get my live rock shipped overnight.

Thanks!

texan

If you just want a HOB filter for water circulation and to put filter media and/or chemical filtration in, I would go with the next size smaller AC (don't remember the #). If you want a refugium, I would stick with the AC70, or it will be too small to be effective. You need to have a large enough volume to grow chaeto in, but as I understand it from others posts, you have to slow it down for the refugium to work properly anyway. Anyone else out there, feel free to correct me on this, but that seems to be the consensus from the refugium threads I've read.

Irish,

Try thatflishplace.com for the tank. Its not an AGA, but they sell 5.5g tank for 9.49. I can't find the 5.5g locally so far so I may order from them also. Also, you may want to look into doing this... Fuge.

The tank is a Perfecto tank. I don't know how they compare to AGA tanks, if anyone has any experience with perfecto tanks, maybe they can chime in.

I think thatfishplace.com charges shipping based on how much you spend so if you bought all your parts from their...the shipping would turn out cheaper for the total. They have pretty good prices.

If I can't find the tank locally, I think im gonna have to order from them also.

irishtexan

Weetabix7- yeah I will either do the ac70 mod or just use a smaller ac for circulation.

bobajum-Thanks for the links! I am glad that I will not be alone when I start my tank.

Texan

irishtexan

bobajum- I checked out www.thatpetplace.com and if they don't have one at my lfs then I will order it from them, they are cheap.

texan

AC 110-price?

$39.99 Petsmart online, but I am sure there are cheaper alternatives. You don't need to change the AC impeller, I can't remember where I posted it, but you can easily trim a small plastic tab to reduce the flow. If I can find the time this evening, I will draw up a pic or find that thread.

If I didn't like her so much, I would be rid of my clownfish because she makes it very hard to keep NO3 down and she tends to pick at new additions (mainly corals) if I don't put them where she wants them.

No skimmer on my tank Weetabix. I tried a couple, but abandoned them b/c I just didn't have the room.

You can do a lot in a 5.5, especially if you add an AC110 onto it.

irishtexan

Ok thanks Mr. Fosi for all the help. I will keep ya'll updated on how it goes. Yes I love the clownfishes personality.

texan

Texan,

I just found a local place that had some no-named brand 5.5gal tank for 10 bux so I bought one. I think it will be cool that we will both be setting up similar systems at the same time. I think I'll go pick up an AC20 and AC70 at petco tomorrow. The prices were pretty cheap for both online. Rather then buy an extra impeller, I think I'll just buy the whole AC20 since its on sale for $9.99 at petco. I think i'm gonna go with the same light you are gonna buy also Tex. You may want to check hellolights.com, if you buy the light there, you can pick up an extra bulb for half price and they also do price matching to any online retailer.

Let me know what you plan on puchasing as far as heater and what kind of a test kit you plan on purchasing. Also, I noticed u plan on purchasing a glass cover for like 7.50ish...wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a piece of glass or acrylic at Home Depot and just cut it to fit?

NotGumbelWV
For a 5.5 gal light you need some imagination; Mr. Fosi runs - Retrofited perfecto hood with 2x13W 50/50 PCs, but if you wanted something "easier" to setup go with this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...04+113345+22734 The 28 watt 20" is $34; and if you get the legs it'll fit nicely on a 16" 5.5 (however, I am sure there are plenty of other options.)

p_rd_14064_28583.jpg

How's the evaporation situation when using a light with the legs?

JeremyChase
How's the evaporation situation when using a light with the legs?
What do you mean? If there is glass covering it there wouldn't be an issue.. The "adjustable" legs are weird; they say that some covers "are not recommended" as I recall.

Just get the regular legs.. :)

-jer

Archived