Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

3G Tank

irishtexan

SeaMonster

Looks like a great little setup texan, but it does not say anything about the wattage of the lights that I could see, something that a person would want to know when putting $$$ for that setup.

PS Pics of my pico are up.

sounds overly expensive for what you get -- and from all my understandings the fission nano-skimmer sucks....

but it looks cool!

irishtexan

Monster, it says 18watts of lighting. Argent, you can just buy the tank without the skimmer and its $25 less.

Here's a link: Link

That's a cool tank, but can anyone tell if it is glass or acrylic? Also does anyone see the dimensions? I can't seem to find this information.

irishtexan

Yes it is a little overpriced I know but I like the way it looks. Does anyone know where mike guerrarro(spelling?) got his tank? He won one of the photo contests. Or does anyone know where I can get nice tank?

Thanks!

texan

SeaMonster
Monster, it says 18watts of lighting. Argent, you can just buy the tank without the skimmer and its $25 less.

Here's a link: Link

Sorry I was half asleep reading that today...I see it now...all looks good to me man...I'd skip the skimmer and get a second light like the one that comes with it and clip it on the other side...BAM...36 watts of light. And you are good to go.

irishtexan

Yeah I was looking into the first one but I am still having trouble deciding what tank I want. I really help and this is what I want: a 2-3 gallon aquarium, and a light under $50.

Thanks!

texan

p.s all suggestions and comments welcome

I got my eclipse 3 for like $35, then $10 for the elite mini filter...I was told the stock lighting would be good enough for zoo's. My coralife mini was like another $30....so all under $100 for parts...but then again mine's setup at work and so I wanted a tank with a hood to keep stuff out of it.

irishtexan

The thing that I am trying to figure out is what is the best tank. I was looking into the 2.5 MB but then some had success with the eclipse. I also really like the look of the eclipse. I'm having trouble deciding. I need some help ya'll!!

texan

JeremyChase

Yow... I wouldn't do that 3 gal for $100.. What I have found is that much of the "stuff" I get for my tank just doesn't work they way I want it to.. IMHO that skimmer is not needed, and the HOB filter doesn't create enough flow; not to mention the light is just 'ok'

I'm really not sure what you want to do; but if I was doing it all again I would have started with an AGA 5.5 or 10 gal. When I was starting I wanted a super small reef because I thought that was wicked cool, but I'm not sure why that makes much sense as the reality is a 3 gal will cost just about the same as a 5.5 and only slightly less than a 10 gal.

Examples:

Say you got the $28 acrylic tank.. This is the way I see it:

$28 (base setup)

$15 (sand)

$20 (Live rock)

$15 (heater)

$20 (another cheap clipon-light because you WILL want more)

$30 (test kits, you NEED these, ESP in a pico-reef)

$15 (misc, termometer, hygrometer, who knows)

$10 (Elite pump since HOB doesn't give enough flow)

-------

$153 Ready to run a tight "ship"

Now, lets say you went with a 5.5 AGA

$15 (tank)

$15 (sand)

$30 (Live rock)

$15 (heater)

$30 (A decent light)

$10 (cover for tank)

$30 (test kits)

$15 (A decent pump)

-------

$175 complete

Now, lets say you went with a 10 AGA

$15 (tank)

$15 (sand)

$40 (Live rock)

$15 (heater)

$40 (A decent light)

$10 (cover for tank)

$30 (test kits)

$15 (A decent pump)

-------

$195 complete

Now; the more you have to start the less the startup costs will be, but the reality is that the picos aren't much less than the small tanks.. . Unless you really WANT a tiny tank, just get the bigger one at the start...

-Jer

irishtexan

Jeremy, thanks for all the help. Do you know of a place online or the name of a 5.5 gallon tank? And do you know of a light that would work? Also, do you think that I could keep a captive bred ocellaris in a 5.5? Alot of people keep clowns in their 6 gallon nano cube and that is not that much bigger.

Thanks!

texan

JeremyChase
Jeremy, thanks for all the help. Do you know of a place online or the name of a 5.5 gallon tank? And do you know of a light that would work? Also, do you think that I could keep a captive bred ocellaris in a 5.5? Alot of people keep clowns in their 6 gallon nano cube and that is not that much bigger.

Thanks!

texan

Texan,

You can get a 5.5 AGA tank at most pet stores; they are a standard tank. I am assuming you can keep a Perc in a 5.5, as Mr. Fosi does with much succes. His journal with his his 5.5 is here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...opic=76186&st=0

For a 5.5 gal light you need some imagination; Mr. Fosi runs - Retrofited perfecto hood with 2x13W 50/50 PCs, but if you wanted something "easier" to setup go with this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...04+113345+22734 The 28 watt 20" is $34; and if you get the legs it'll fit nicely on a 16" 5.5 (however, I am sure there are plenty of other options.)

p_rd_14064_28583.jpg

(a shot carelessly stolen from Mr. Fosi's thread :))

2-2-6%202%20p.jpg

JeremyChase
STAY AWAY. my lfs had started a pico in that tank, an the the ligth started to SMOKE. that isn't a good sign.
What? A pico in what tank? The eclipse? The eclipse runs fine; there are several of us using them.

-Jer

also marine depot had the little jbj pico 3 on sale for 50 bucks recently and it looked just like the one in your link minus the skimmer

irishtexan

Thanks for all the links! I really think I am going to go with the 5.5 gallon. It doesn't sound that hard to set-up. This is what I am thinking I am going to need:

Shopping List

5.5 aga tank-price?

28 watt fixture-$31.49

mounting legs- ajustable($12.99) or regular($6.99)?

glass top-$7.49

AC filter-size?

suggestions required! lol

texan

were you going to run an HOB as a mini fuge? or just stuff a powerhead in the tank?

Generally you'll want 10x turnover -- so something that does around 50-60 GPH would work or something that does more but is adjustable. The elite micro filter that I run in my Eclipse is rated at 58GPH on the high end and is adjustable (and only $9.99 at PetCo)

JeremyChase
suggestions required! lol

texan

5.5 aga tank-price? I've seen them from $14-16 in different LFS's

28 watt fixture-$31.49

mounting legs- ajustable($12.99) or regular($6.99)? Regular, the adjustable are a PITA

glass top-$7.49

AC filter-size? AC70? Mr. Fosi? Comments?

Texan; before you commit I would bounce your ideas around some more people too; personally I think that would be a great setup, but the more input you get the better. Just keep in mind some people are a little caustic when giving opinions :)

-Jer

Archived