SaltCritters.com

my money sucking cube of debt

ikuwaseven

since this thread is in the All-In-One category I thought maybe i should post info on my all-in-one equipment...

i have the 04 nanocube that has the two splash guards.

all the ussual nanocustoms upgrades... few of my own... few found from others on NR...

hood1.jpg

under the hood...

top.jpg

top of the hood...

you could see the switch i installed to manually turn on or off my ICA chiller...

cables.jpg

back of the hood...

i wired everything to three white multi-conductor cables for a clean look and of course for functionality...

wires.jpg

how did i wire them u ask... one word... messy....

i had a bunch of wire connector caps lying around so i used them... i should have soldered each connection but i was lazy at that time... i didnt wanna set up my soldering equipt and do a proper job... its okay tho cause everything works...

hood4.jpg

hood without splashguards..

the fans were upgraded... 2 Evercool 60x10mm fans in the back and 2 small 25x10mm fans on the opening on the sides... held up by reflective tape... ICA chiller installed... heatshield installed... lights upgraded.. 3 6"CCFL lights installed...

ica.jpg

the ICA chiller...

i used thick plastic and wrapped it around the chiller tapped it up and poked holes where the tubes would go... this was so i can keep the moisture off of the unit...

lights.jpg

lights...

top left: 2 blue 6" Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lights (CCFL ) - pre dawn/post dusk

top right: 1 blue 6" CCFL - moon light, it's powered by 9V instead of the full 12V

bottom left: 1 24watt actinic/1 24watt aquamedic blue bulb - dawn/dusk actinics

bottom right: actinics + 2 24watt nanocustom 50/50s - daylights

open.jpg

plumbing...

chamber 1: nanobob millmod1.2 surface skimmer/1sponge/chemipure/purigen/eggcrate rack to keep from clogging the hole to chamber 2

chamber 2: 9w UV sterilizer/ minijet404 to ICA then output thru locline

chamber 3: maxijet900 output to bulkhead fitting with hydor/ 25watt heater/ temperature probe for thermometer

i also chopped down some of the wall between chamber 2 and 3 for better flow...

i used to have the fission skimmer in chamber one but it was in the way and i hardly used it... so i took it out..

i was gonna add an ATO but ive seen a few peoples tanks crash because of a mishap from an ATO.. so id rather top off manually...

stand2.jpg

heres the stand...

one word... fire-hazard...

i meant to organize things better.. but when more and more equipment was added it got harder and harder to organize since space is very very limited... i installed a little tray in the door to hold small misc items... those white block are appliance digital timers... i should have bought a reefkeeper... but i kept adding over time and now i have 5 timers... there are 3 u can see 2 buried...

actinics on one timer... 50/50s on the second timer... 2 CCFLs on the third... 1 CCFL moonlight on the fourth... and fans/ICA/minijet404 on the fifth timer...

stand.jpg

inside the stand towards the top i installed a fan where the hole is in the back... because one day when it was really really hot in my room i put my hand on the top of the inside of the stand and it was burning hot... with the ballast and the other electronics housed in that stand a lot of heat can be generated during hot days... so i installed a fan to cool the stand...

so yeah i think thats about it for my equipment... now thats a long post...

-brad

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heres another set...

how close is too close???

dendro15.jpg

dendro

grey4.jpg

acan lord

greylord4.jpg

acan lord

grnnonindo4.jpg

acan lord

hillae1.jpg

acan hillae

mint.jpg

acan lord

redgreenmicro2.jpg

micro amakusensis

redindo2.jpg

acan lord

redjap2.jpg

acan lord

turbo.jpg

mexican turbo snail

enjoy :)

-brad (ikuwaseven)

WOW NICE pictures. thanks for all of them..nice tank too

thanx. youre welcome. thanx.

i just like to give the people wat they want... pictures!!!

i know sometimes when i surf the NR pages i mostly look for pictures...

so pictures it is...

and its not only for show or anything... i kinda like haveing a thread with my pics that i can access from anywhere... so when im away from home and i miss my tank... i just go online and there it is...

am i crazy??? is that at all sane?? to miss your tank when youre away from it???

makes perfect sense to me...

those are some cool shots. an interesting perspective in some of them.

thanx. yeah i like to take different perspectives from my tank... but the subject of which i am trying to show in a pic doesnt always come out right... so i only have a few pics that come out nice... and lets face it the main subject IS the corals... so i try and take more straight pics that show off the corals.. but sometimes i like to show of what i see and a lot of those different perspective shots are what i see when i look in my tank... those are probably my favorite shots cause they convey what im seeing...

btw... its a nice complement to catch the attention of some you heavy posters...

you NR post regulars are always welcome to reply...

on another note...

a couple of people have PMed me bout my camera and my macro lens. so i thought id throw on a couple of pics of them.

camera: fujifilm finepix s3100 4mp

lens: bower 55mm macro 10x purchased at paniwebi electronics on ebay for $20

camera1.jpg

camera2.jpg

-brad

• 1 month later...

thanx guys.

remember to vote for me in the contest if you guys like that last pic...

Those great pics from such an inexpensive camera? I might have to pick one of those up. Ebay has a bunch for 180 or less.

well its 2/3 camera and lens and 1/3 photoshop color correction... cause that camera has horrible white balance... but yeah the pics turn out decent considering the camera... just learn how to adjust levels in PS and your set...

And I thought I was bad!!! It's ok though, I understand your addiction.

yeah it really is a bad habit tho..

these pictures were taken a few months ago... and i havent stoped buying since then... addiction is fun...

i'll post more pics when/if this thread goes to page 3.. cause this page has wayy too many pictures to load all at once...

RayWhisperer
i'll post more pics when/if this thread goes to page 3.. cause this page has wayy too many pictures to load all at once...
LOL, can't wait.... I'm on 56K dialup to boot!
EclipseAgent

Awesome awesome awesome pictures.

I just purchsed some cheap ass macro thing for my Sony P200 after seeing your pictures ( I went the cheap cheap route, and hopefully it'll come out semi good).

What are your temps and evap?

HOLY COW ON THE FIRE HAZZARD

Awesome awesome awesome pictures.

I just purchsed some cheap ass macro thing for my Sony P200 after seeing your pictures ( I went the cheap cheap route, and hopefully it'll come out semi good).

What are your temps and evap?

HOLY COW ON THE FIRE HAZZARD

thanx... the cheap route comes out decent ussually... IMO

my temps and evaporation greatly depends on ambient temp.... for my top off water i buy RO water from the grocery store then i pour that water in a few water bottles... the kinda bottles used for bottled drinking water... some bottles i store in the fridge some at room temperature... thats so if my temp is high in the tank i use the ones in the fridge and when temps are low i use the room temp ones... but basically during winter when temps are stable in my tank.. bout 78-80... i ussually use like 1-2 bottles of RO water a week... but in the summer like now when tems are 81-83 i use 3-4 bottles a week... but in heatwaves like the ones here in norcal a few weeks ago 100+ degrees ambient... my temps in my tank were 84+... i was using a bottle of RO a day... but thats because to try and keep temps stable i left open the top of my tank more than half way open throughout the day and night... sometimes with a fan blowing across the surface of the water... so there was a lot of evaportation that week... the ICA chiller works great during the summer but during extreme temps its basically worthless so you have to use the power of evaporative cooling... especially with fans blowing over the surface... but yeah thats a lot of top off water.. the only thing i would worry bout when using a lot of top off water is phosphates... sometimes RO water can bring up phosphates which could induce a hair algae bloom.. so somtimes i throw a small bag of rowaphos in there... but ussually i just increase my water changes, which is always a better route.. on average tho i do a water change bout 1-2 times a week...

oh yeah and during the heatwave here in california there was a lot of power outages... everyone one was buying an airconditioner... but yeah my power went out for 20 hours... im glad i bought one of those battery powered air pumps... but im also glad that my temps were decently stable in my tank... but yeah next time you order drygoods online be sure to pick up a battery powered airpump.. theyre only like 3-5 dollars online... the battery costs more than the pump... but ive read that a few peoples tanks crashed here in california after the heatwaves... cuz their temps were so high... that sux... its a shame... so many nice corals lost... i saw a thread on RC about how u could file a claim for lost corals to PG&E... something to think about... but fortunatly i didnt loose anything during that outage...

and i agree on the firehazzard... but there hasnt been any problems yet... knock on wood... the things we do for that sleek contained look...

well as promised... page 3 = more pics!!! heres more acans !!!!

4seasons9.jpg

blueredlrd3.jpg

reddarkcenter5.jpg

green10.jpg

greenorang8.jpg

lightgrey6.jpg

newmicrogroup2.jpg

orangechina6.jpg

redgreenmicro5.jpg

zoogroup.jpg

thanx guys for all the replies...

-brad

• 1 month later...

hey check out my new white with red stripes cocoworm!!!

whitecoco2.jpg

i hardly ever see white and red cocos out there... ussually the pink or red ones... or pinkish yellows... not many white red ones out there... i had to snatch it up...

since nanoreef resizes images by default now i went ahead and tried a new crop size to match..

well heres a pictoral update...

dendro18.jpg

dendro's growing....

echinatahill.jpg

echinata hill...

new2red.jpg

one of my newer frags...

this ones from rommel @ ultimatefrags....

definitly check him out if youre local... or if not too he ships... ive been buying from him for over a year now...

redgreencenterlord13.jpg

its fun to feed...

redgreenmicro6.jpg

acan mountain!!!

redgreenring10.jpg

theres crazy growth on this one... i started with 2 polyps....

redindo4.jpg

new color swing under my new heavily actinic lights.....

redjap13.jpg

this is just a good pic.... this was my first non-indo lord... its what started my hidden non-indo obsession...... just so u guys know... i dont show all my acans,,, hint hint wink wink.... :)

one more for the road..

hemprichii6.jpg

hemprichii acan...

i feed a mixture of mysis, brine, and cyclopeeze to the whole tank...

i also feed regular marine flakes... but i generally just put the flakes to wake everything up to food...

i add flakes while the frozen food is thawing... and all the acans feeders come out... and most of the time the the tube anenome comes out...

but basically i just squirt some of the feeding mixture into the plastic tube i put the anenome in...

i guess thats sort of like force feeding cause he has to eat it when its jsut sitting in that tube.. but i know its eating cause the tentcles grab the food and retract to the middle...

sometimes i feed at night... hes always out at night and will take food everytime.. tube anenomes are generally nocturnal.. as are most inverts are...

it takes anything at night but likes really grabs mysis...

i only feed the tank once or twice a week... too much uneaten food turns to waste to feed more than that...

but yeah if its really picky try meaty foods like mysis and feed at night... also turn off all pumps and gently let the food float down to its tentcles... or target feed by putting a plastic tube over it (like a plastic epoxy tube or siphoning tube) and gently squirt mysis in the tube on to the anenome... i used to have to do that to my dendro because my skunk shrimp used to take food from my dendro... i got rid of that skunk... shrimps are evil... cept for bumblebee shrimps... those are ridiculously too small to cause a problem... im actually surprised mines been alive for so many months... but he is...

but yeah try mysis and no flow to not scare it... and feed at night when its out...

hope this helps...

thank you for the detailed reply, it helps alot.

yeah it was rather lengthy huh... i just couldnt stop typing... i duno y..

Great pix!

thanx! they come out pretty decent..

i have the exact same tube Anemone he is very fussy about what he eats what do you feed yours?

hey gotboostedvr6 i know i already posted a long detailed reply bout the tube anenome eating but i was looking through some of my old photos and found a couple of the anenome eating... so i thought i might as well post them..

tubeane16.jpg

tubeane15.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

yeah so ive never really posted a fts have i.... soo... um... ya here u go:

fts4.jpg

fts 5/06

fts12.jpg

fts 9/06

oh ya and as you guys can see i put thumbnails for all my images so the pages load faster... shoulda done that a long time ago.. but i was lazy...

but yeah just click on the image and it'll open a larger image.

-brad

Archived