Coral Vue Hydros

Rio Nano Skimmer

tinyreef

Hard to say. Needle wheel, but then again it is rio...

After buying a euro-reef, all I can say is that I'm done buying entry level skimmers.

You did buy an entry level skimmer.

jk Mine will be cheaper and better than yours!

proraptor2

There is an LFS and they run them and they always are full of nasty skimmate and they wont stop praising them...I havent had direct experience with one though

Hard to say. Needle wheel, but then again it is rio...

After buying a euro-reef, all I can say is that I'm done buying entry level skimmers.

Word. After looking at all the skimmers on the market I decided it was in my best interest just to build one. If i had money i'd throw down for a deltec but since i dont....

skimmer1.jpg

I spent the money I would've on the css or cheapy rio. (50$)

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:lol: I have the Rio on my 5.5 AGA nano and it produces good, dark skimmate and does not fill with water. It is cumbersome to play with until you find the night setting for the venturi. I put a peice of air hose and a valve on mine for finer adjustment. Air was noisy at first but now the little guy has quieted down and is pulling all sorts of waste out of my tank.

Yes, I'm sure its no remora for all you brand name suckers out their. But remember, some of the best nanos on this sight have little more than a light and a powerhead.

fishstick41
I have the Rio on my 5.5 AGA nano and it produces good, dark skimmate and does not fill with water. It is cumbersome to play with until you find the night setting for the venturi. I put a peice of air hose and a valve on mine for finer adjustment. Air was noisy at first but now the little guy has quieted down and is pulling all sorts of waste out of my tank.

Yes, I'm sure its no remora for all you brand name suckers out their. But remember, some of the best nanos on this sight have little more than a light and a powerhead.

how did u put the air hose in and wich skimmer do u got

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone is still interested, but I have some skimmate pics from the first 12 days of skimming. I searched and didn't find any skimmate pics...

skimming2small.JPG

12daysskimmate1small.JPG

12daysskimmatesmall.JPG

crackerjakx
Not sure if anyone is still interested, but I have some skimmate pics from the first 12 days of skimming. I searched and didn't find any skimmate pics...

skimming2small.JPG

12daysskimmate1small.JPG

12daysskimmatesmall.JPG

How did you get that green skimmate? I've had mine running for about a month. I have tons of dry crap on the walls of the skimmate cup and column, but the juice that makes it to the bottom is a very very very light tea color. What's the deal? Should I pull the intake up or push it down? What are your settings?

How did you get that green skimmate? I've had mine running for about a month. I have tons of dry crap on the walls of the skimmate cup and column, but the juice that makes it to the bottom is a very very very light tea color. What's the deal? Should I pull the intake up or push it down? What are your settings?

I pulled the tube up very slightly and followed someone else's suggestion (not sure where I saw it) of attaching an airline with a Maxi-jet silencer to the hose. This seemed to keep it skimming properly.

• 5 months later...

i have had one for two months and for the price it works great. for the guy who can not afford the cpr or the fission or the tank is to large for the fission. it works great. but i will say the stupid needle valve sucks for the control of the venturi. i added a air tube and valve that seem to work much much better. for the most part it works good.

Thanks for posting some pics. I'm still holding out for the Euro-Reef nano skimmer. If it turns out to be sh*t I'm just going to throw down for one of their Blems.

So this thing actually works for some? I remember reading this thread months back and everyone pretty much dismissed this product.

Is this a good idea to slap onto a QT tank?

yea it does work...but theres a few requirements........the water line has to be about 3/4"-1" from the lip (where it hangs) or it wont produce much bubbles for skimming....the impeller could use a mesh mod or some type of needlewheel......the stock impeller is basically just blades.....the air intake could use a valve to fine tune the ingoing air..........but evryones setup is quite different so make it work accordingly......have fun/...

• 1 month later...

I've had my skimmer running for a few months now. It works fairly well. I find it to be slightly on the noisy side. Also, as some of the others said, the water level needs to be maintained for it to skim.... and to keep it from losing its prime.

Has anybody with one figured out any way to quiet it down at all? Ive seen the mention of adding the maxi jet silencer or an air tube with a valve. Does that do anything for the noise?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a question about Rio nano skimmer,

I'm looking for shop/person where I could buy this skimmer in Europe.

The shipping costs from US shops are so expensive....

Thanks for help

Marcin B)

Archived