SaltCritters.com

The beginings of my 40 breeder

wwildcats04

wwildcats04

Yesterday, May 15th I went and purchased my tank and stand to become my new reef. It is a AGA 40 breeder. I also got the tank drilled with three holes, two of which were 3/4" return bulkheads and one of which was 1.5" drain bulkhead.

Today, May 16th, I went and got a lot of my plumbing of the bulkheads and loc-line returns and put them on and painted the background black.

I also constructed my overflow box using black acrylic. I am waiting for it all to dry and than tomorow I am going to take pictures.

Lessons learned thus far, dont use duct tape on the black plastic of an aquarium, I spent a good two hours trying to get it off and tomorow I am going to need to use some goo b gone to get the last of the sticky stuff off and than wash the tank off for what will seem like a life time.

I am not going to be able to use all of my plumbing yet because i could not afford to make my sump and aquarium all at once so I am going to use two maxi jet 1200s for circulation and my HOB fuge for the time being.

The plan is to turn a 10g into the sump eventually because that is all I can fit under my stand with out cutting off the center brace. I am going to use a coralife super skimmer 65 and a mag 7 as my retun until I am able to purchase my 9.5.

Pictures will be posted tomorow of my progress thus far

If you can get some Seio's, I'd recommend those over the maxi-jets. They just seem to behave a bit better and not blow sand all over the place. Difference between the small outlet of an MJ and the nice impellor of the Seio.

wwildcats04

If it wasnt going to just be temperary than I would, but I already have the MJ's and it is only until I can afford to buy my pump (next paycheck)

wwildcats04

The new Stand, notice there is plenty of room for a sump and skimmer

20060517fish00104zc.jpg

The aquarium after I painted the background and installed the bulkheads and the works

20060517fish00127ic.jpg

The over flow box, where I made mistake #2 in my project, but otherwise Im really happy/proud of it

20060517fish00144gd.jpg

and the back of it, where you can see my mistake... I need to take that wall all of the way up with thin strips so that my water level isnt at that line... I was just thinking of the bulkhead there not the whole over flow concept... oh well, its a learning process I guess

[20060517fish00154di.jpg

It will be easy to fix, since I still have lots of scraps.

I was going to attempt to use gorilla glue to get the acrylic to adhere to the glass and than use aquarium acrylic as well.

What do you guys reccomend?

You mean aquarium-safe silicone, right? :)

I just used regular superglue to attach my overflow box to the glass first, and it suited my needs. Gorilla glue may be a little too much, and does it dry instantaneously?

wwildcats04

okay, I didnt know that super glue worked I thought you had to get some ungodly powerful stuff to do that, and of course its aquarium safe silly. no, the gorilla glue needs to settle for a little while

40 gallons? That's no nano-reef. better peddle your ass over to reef central or some other site that caters to the big boys. We don't need your kind here. :angry:

wwildcats04

lol shut up ryan... I dont think we need the kind here whos tanks crash either, your right there w/ Zach bud

lol shut up ryan... I dont think we need the kind here whos tanks crash either, your right there w/ Zach bud

Tank crash? Erroneous! ERRONIEOUS!! I say. :rant: There’s a difference between a tank crash and a lethal case of crypt brought on by impatience and a lack of careful observation of perspective purcha………..whatever.

Macro-reefer

:slap:

Anachronos

Kyle, kidnapping the Easter Bunny! For shame! I thought you were above that. :angry:

The setup looks pretty good so far. When are you going to add water, etc?

• 2 weeks later...
wwildcats04

sorry guys, I thought everyone gave up on me and I took a vaca... to the actual tank no. I just picked up an oceanic model 1 sump yesterday that I will be using and for a skimmer I decided on a reef octopus because I've heard a lot of positive hype about them so we'll see how that works out. Im going to order the skimmer probably in about a week, I have some new corals but thats about it

oh, the black acrylic was purchased american plastics, its a local store here in C'bus I got it for about $2.99/lb because it was all scraps but I made the best of it, oh I also am using a mag 12 as my return pump and am going to be purchasing some plumbing stuff this week... things are finally getting underway sorry about forgeting about my thread

NaughtyCashew

Great job so far. Amazing how similar our setups are.

For the overflow I would just use aquarium silicone. To beef my overflow box up I constructed it around a glass box and siliconed the black acrylic to that. I think yours should be fine as is.

wwildcats04

I looked at yours for a bit of insperation, thank you... I already have my over flow in place and thats what I used was acrylic its really sturdy so I think all is going to be pretty well... its just getting to be time to put water in it but my skimmer should be coming towards the end of the week hopefully and than I just need to get my plumbing all done, prob on tuesday

wwildcats04

not yet... Im going to update possibly tomorow... spent a long day at kings island today. the tank is up and running at the moment though and the current inhabitants are a chevron tang, blue spot jawfish, and an ocellaris clown. future residents are a sunburst anthias and a yasha haze / shrimp combo

Archived