SaltCritters.com

Need help, starting a 50 gal reef.

thepro

have a 29 gal freshwater setup right now that I'm going to convert to saltwater. I wanted to know what you thought. I'm buying some used saltwater stuff from a guy and that's how i'm going to do my conversion.Please make recomendations on anything that may be wrong. I already own the tank, stand, and heater everything else I don't know specifics yet because i'm buying it saturday.

Tank: 50 gallon tank (with same footprint as 29 gallon)

Stand: Black stand (Pic at bottom of page)

Heater: 150 W heater if needed.

Protein Skimmer: CPR BakPak and uses a maxijet 1200

Live Rock: I'm getting 50lbs (total) of Tonga Branch, Fiji,and Marshall Island

Live Sand: I don't have it yet, but I plan on putting in Live sand.

Lighting: Coralife dual Compact Flourescent lightining system with Dual bulbs and moon light. Each bulb is 96 watts for a total of 192 watts. There is also a moonlight and 2 built in cooling fans.

-I still haven't decided what kind of livestock I want to put in. I know I would like 2 clowns.

Excess equiplent I will have, if there is a need for it. This is stuff coming as part of the sell I don't think I'll need plus my leftover freshwater equipment.

-extra tank and stand

-Penguine 330 filter with biowheel

-Allglass plastic hood with light.

does it need a fuge? I figured that would make it a lot more complex. The skimmer is rated to 100 gallons so I didn't think I'd need to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
does it need a fuge? I figured that would make it a lot more complex. The skimmer is rated to 100 gallons so I didn't think I'd need to do it.

It should be a nice setup. A sump/fuge isn’t too complex, but you don’t need one. I’m running my 40 gallon tank without either. However, I would use the HOB Penguin (just remove the Bio-Wheel) and add a SEIO Super Flow Pump.

Archived