ReefCleaners.org

seabass's 40 Gallon Breeder

seabass

I’ve enjoyed my old 15-gallon office nano, but when I was faced with having to move it to a new office, I decided to bring it home and upgrade it versus tear it down and move it. And since I only had a few weeks prior notice, I was looking:

• for something that was quick and easy to setup

• to minimize DIY projects

• to have things setup and running a week in advance of the move

• to avoid long wait times establishing a new nitrogen cycle

I was also wanted:

• something small enough that can be moved relatively easy

• something large enough to maintain a relatively stable water chemistry

• to maintain relatively manageable 10% water changes (changing up to 5 gallons a week)

• to minimize the long term costs (of water changes, equipment replacements, electricity…)

• a more diverse selection of livestock to choose from (compared to my old 15 gallon tank)

• something that was immediately available (in stock at PETCO or one of the local fish stores)

• a reef quality light fixture that sat on the tank (not suspended)

• water flow turnover of 20 times or better (without using power consuming sump pumps)

• a tank that was at least 24" in length, 18” in width, but no more than 18” in height.

Tank:

With trying to minimize costs (initial and ongoing), along with the self imposed 5 gallon (10%) water change restriction, I knew I was looking for a tank between 30 and 50 gallons in size. There were some attractive cubes out there, but they cost more and it was harder to find a suitable light fixture for them. Our PETCOs have been starting to stock a good supply of 40 gallon breeder tanks (36x18x16). For around $100, plus a stand, I found a tank that fit my criteria.

New Base Rock and Sand:

Obviously I needed more rock, but LR is expensive and must be properly ‘cycled’ before use. Base rock was a good solution, as my 15-gallon tank already had a good amount of established rock. Reefer Rocks is an excellent online source of base rock and I was able to arrange four (roughly 10lb) rocks, prior to putting them in my tank, to create a suitable base structure. It doesn’t take long for the new rock to become ‘live’ and it doesn’t create an ammonia spike (as there is no die-off). I also added a bag of Nature’s Ocean Bio-Active Live Aragonite Reef Sand from PETCO to supplement the live sand that was being moved.

Lighting:

I purchased a 36” Nova Extreme T-5 Fixture and replaced one of its standard 460nm actinic bulbs with a 420nm spectrum bulb. Since this is a reef tank, I was concerned that a 156W fixture wouldn’t be enough, but I also wanted to keep the total electrical consumption low. I had heard good things about T5 lighting, but I didn’t know what to expect (especially since the Nova Extreme uses a typical polished reflector instead of some of the higher tech reflectors that are on the market now). However, since I won’t be keeping SPS and the tank is relatively shallow, I gave it a try. I am very pleased with the color and light output from this fixture; and for my tank and livestock, I wouldn’t want any more light. Note: this fixture lets you run as many as three timers to control your light cycle (1 set of LEDs and 2 sets of 2 bulbs).

Power Filter:

I’m using a Penguin BIO-Wheel 350 Power Filter to provide two media chambers (for a variety of media if desired), as well as substantial surface agitation and flow. I like the idea of using one of the carbon filled filter cartridges when needed; in addition, I purchased the optional media basket for other chemical media (but I can also run it without any media or cartridges). For my reef, I have removed the BIO-Wheel.

Skimmer:

I chose the AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer which seems to be doing a reasonable job of skimming so far; however, the increase in water flow is minimal. I have to clean the collector cup a little less than once a week, but I try to do so more frequently.

Powerhead:

I got the SEIO M620 Super Flow Water Pump to provide a strong but gentle/dispersed current throughout the tank. With the additional 620gph (in addition to power filter and skimmer) of flow, my 40 gallon tank has a turnover of about 25 times an hour. The flow is pretty consistent throughout the tank and I’m pleased with the result.

Heater:

I’m using a 100W Visi-Therm Stealth Heater. It won’t shatter like glass and I find it perfectly capable of maintaining a constant 78° temperature.

Weekly Maintenance:

Since I basically planned on using the same methods that I had been using to care for my 15-gallon nano, I wanted to continue to perform manageable sized water changes; this helps keep things easy and minimizes the ongoing costs. I’ve been using Catalina’s Natural Seawater from PETCO which comes in a 5 gallon box (and is perfect for a weekly 12.5% water change). I dilute it slightly to maintain the salinity at 1.25. I’ve been enjoying good results, although I might reconsider using a salt mix if I ever purchase an RO system.

Energy Consumption:

One of my goals was to setup en energy efficient reef. With the lights running, but without the heater (which would be fairly typical with the lights on), my setup consumes about 200W of power. It would be less during the night with the heater running, and even less when the heater is not on.

New Tank:

Transfer.jpg

With Base Rock:

Aquascape.jpg

Today (about 4 months later):

tank.jpg

My little guys (a Goby and Blenny):

2%20spot.jpg

Anthias:

Anthias.jpg

Black Cap (in front of a Rock Flower Anemone):

Black%20Cap.jpg

Two Spot Blenny:

Blenny.jpg

My Clownfish (named Fish and Chips):

FishNChips1.jpg

New Arrivals (what about me):

New%20Arrivals.jpg

One of four shrimp:

shrimp.jpg

One of the crew:

snail.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outstanding! I'm in the middle of transferring my own 15 into a 40B. I plan to get the LR this weekend. Looks great. Hope mine is near that level in 4 months.

Thanks debbeach13 and sr71pav!

My 15 gallon nano was a 15 Long, so it was the same basic shape as the 40 Breeder (only smaller).

I love the 40 breeders, very nice.

Thanks HotRod68Camaro! This is the largest tank I've ever kept. I had been working with my 15L for almost 2 years, and I was shocked by how large the 40B seemed to be when I was bringing it home from PETCO.

It’s too bad that it’s not really considered a nano, because I like this forum and I’m using the same principles that I previously used on both my 7 and 15 gallon nano tanks (LR/LS filter, no overflow sump, 10% weekly water changes…). However, luckily most people here try to accommodate us members with larger systems.

Set up a little pico, too - they'll be more receptive. ;)

I like your setup. The Quiet One pump in my 40B is a PITA, I'm thinking about chucking it for a SEIO 620.

I like your aquascaping, too - that channel in the middle is giving me some ideas...

Set up a little pico, too - they'll be more receptive. ;)

:lol: I see - a token gesture to appease the critics. I do have everything needed to setup my Mini-bow 7 again; and I sometimes get an urge to put some frags in there, but then I come to my senses. As much as I enjoy my reef, I’m just too lazy to care for another one. Kind of like how some people feel about having more children.

I like your setup.

Thanks! Sometimes it’s hard to fault the ‘keep it simple stupid’ philosophy.

The Quiet One pump in my 40B is a PITA, I'm thinking about chucking it for a SEIO 620.

The SEIO is doing its job; I just wish it weren’t as visible. Plus, since plastic acts like a coralline magnet, it becomes even more visible against a dark background. I’ve contemplated using another (less conspicuous) power filter instead, but the flow just wouldn’t be the same. Note that if you place the SEIO too near the surface, it will generate a vortex with lots of accompanying bubbles (although usually short-lived and harmless).

I also hear that the SEIO’s suction cups fail within a few months, so I bought a Tunze Algae Magnet to mount the pump to it with silicone (a future project). However, those Tunze magnets are super strong and I’m not sure if they will have any short or long-term affects on the motorized pump. I’ve seen several threads on ReefCentral that discuss alternative mounting options (including hang on options utilizing the included accessories).

Thanks mr.bearhasyourlady and Fishfreak218!

whats in those boxes from Liveaquaria???? :);)

Here’s the long story of what’s in the boxes. I made a sad, although common mistake. I wanted to add a Dwarf Angel but wanted to diminish the possible territorial disputes with my adult clownfish, so I added a Coral Beauty along with a Yellow Clown Goby at the time of the move (but I did not quarantine them first). The Goby never ate and succumbed to Ich (which quickly spread to my other fish).

I tried a number of things to get them through it (including a couple of Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and Metronidazole with Focus). Knowing the outcome, I wish that I would have removed them and treated them in a hospital tank; although some of my research indicated that the stress and medication doesn’t always yield better results. I felt bad about losing my fish (especially my female clownfish which used to watch me at work and beg for food like a puppy). It’s weird that we can get attached to our fish.

Anyway, after waiting eight weeks for the parasites to die off, I was ready to restock. With my recent bad experience at an otherwise good LFS, I decided to go with one of the online vendors which offer some more options. So to answer your question, the boxes contained a Black Cap Basslet and Bartlett's Anthias (I had received a Yellow Clown Goby, Two Spot Blenny, another pair of False Percs, and a Tongan Fighting Conch the previous Saturday). Yes, that’s a lot of fish, and yes they were added very quickly (I’m not recommending that people follow my lead unless they have a good amount of experience and a well established system).

I decided against another Coral Beauty and went with, a possibly more controversial choice of, the Bartlett’s Anthias. After a good amount of research, I decided that this was the only Anthias suitable for a tank of this size and surface area. It aggressively eats anything (flake, frozen, or pellet) that I put in the tank. It’s not a fish that I would recommend to everyone with 650 square inches of surface area (as I’m sure that it would appreciate more room), but it is a beautiful fish that seems to be thriving in my tank. They should be fed multiple times a day, so I have been feeding, what I would consider to be, a lot of food (the clownfish, Fish and Chips, seem pleased with the feeding schedule).

I’ve heard good things about the Marine Center and LiveAquaria.com (which I had ordered some inverts from previously). I have to say that I’m very happy with LiveAquaria.com as everything has always arrived very healthy. Plus, their very unusual 14-day guarantee states that if your fish don’t arrive alive, and stay alive for 14 days, they will credit your account or refund your money (which should not be used as an excuse for not quarantining).

There you have it. Sorry for the dissertation!

sea man dan

I love the simplicity of this tank , I am running something very similar to this , but it is just my soft frag tank. I'm likeing it man

I bet it's good fun having so much more choice fishwise?

Thanks LifesAreef! Yes there are a lot of fish to choose from for these tanks (which is makes it interesting). I consider it a big little tank; let me explain:

The 40B provides even more surface area than a standard 55 gallon tank (36”x18” for 648 square inches versus 48”x13” at 624 square inches). Since tank size recommendations can't account for all of different shaped tanks, (for some species) you can consider it equivalent to a 55 gallon tank (giving you even more choices). Compare that to a similar volume 37 gallon tank (30”x12”x22”) which only has a surface area of 360 square inches (which is about 55% of the surface area of the 40B).

I love the simplicity of this tank , I am running something very similar to this , but it is just my soft frag tank. I'm likeing it man

Simplicity was one of my objectives. However, since water flow is so critical to the survival of a reef, I wanted two sources of water flow (to prevent a crash in the event of a failed pump). In addition, I have to admit that I typically don’t maintain my pumps like I should, so I tend to rely on replacing them around once a year; therefore, I wanted relatively inexpensive equipment to help keep these costs manageable.

No plumbing - just redundant water flow, HOB skimmer, heater, and lights (with two ballasts) – that’s it! :) Thanks sea man dan. By the way, I see the U2 reference in your sig; I saw their Vertigo Tour at the United Center last year, which was awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
Are you using a glass top on the tank?

I’m sort of using a glass top (some explanation required). I purchased one of the glass tops that Petco sells for their 40 gallon critter cages, but since I don’t keep any notorious jumpers, I’m currently using just one of the two glass panels (placed just under my lights). Without power hungry return pumps and the evaporation from the semi-open top, my tank runs very cool. It has no problems maintaining a constant 78° F (day or night).

However, I am still deciding whether or not to use the other glass panel. I currently have to top off just under a half a gallon of freshwater per day. Since the surface area of these tanks is excellent, I’m not too concerned about reducing the gas exchange by covering more area. Plus, I doubt that it would be enough to create a heat issue. If anything, it should make the tank even more energy efficient; although it is now only using around 100 kWh a month (costing a bit less than $10/month).

Great tank by the way! Love the variety! And great selection of fish! :)

Thanks Buddyboy!

I’m going to let my tank grow out for awhile. I have tended to crowd my corals in the past; and I have to say that, in addition to the costs, I wasn’t completely happy with that look. Everything seems to be growing quite well with this system and a little breathing room.

Energy Efficiency

Energy efficiency was one of my goals and I've been interested in getting more exact numbers for my tank's energy consumption. However, since Marineland doesn't publish this information with their power filters, I wrote them to ask for the rating of their Penguin BIO-Wheel 350 Power Filter. This turns out to be 7W; so here is the approximate energy consumption breakdown for my tank:

• Penguin BIO-Wheel 350 Power Filter (7W)

• SEIO M620 Super Flow Water Pump (8W)

• Maxi-Jet 1200 powerhead, for the AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer (20W)

• 100W Visi-Therm Stealth Heater (100W)

• 36” Nova Extreme T-5 Fixture (156W)

Note: 1W per hour = 0.001 kilowatt-hour (kWh)

Approximate Total Daily Consumption of 2.64 kWh (equivalent to just one 110W device running continuously):

• T-5 Fixture (on 9 hours per day) = 1.40 kWh per day

• Power Filter + SEIO + Skimmer (on 24 hours per day) = 0.84 kWh per day

• Heater (on, a conservative, 4 hours per day) = 0.40 kWh per day

Therefore my tank is approximately consuming 80.3 kWh per month. Since the average price of electricity in the US is around $0.088 per kilowatt-hour, a similar setup would cost the average American just around $7.07 a month.

Thanks Travis and Toomin!

i like your dog and your tank!

Yeah, my dog’s a character, but certainly a good guy. I didn’t pose him there; he gets jealous quickly and decided to sit by the new fish to get some attention. He will also ‘paw’ at my tank stand, when he wants me to stop working on my reef.

I’m not adding much to my reef at this time. However, I did buy a Pipe Organ frag at my LFS today. It wasn’t really out; but I had the perfect spot for it in mind; and from the few polyps that were showing, I could tell that it’s a nice pinkish purple. So, I thought I’d take a chance.

In addition, I bought a couple of Red People Eater polyps there a week or so ago. They tend to have more common pieces and are more expensive than pre-shipped online prices, but they do get a few interesting corals from time to time. Plus I feel that, if you want them to stay around, it’s good to support local dealers (one of our better ones went out of business a year or so ago).

Bump.......any updated pics?

Yeah, I really should get some more/better shots. Maybe I’ll find the time this coming weekend. I was thinking that it would be neat to post a high resolution (3072 x 2304) picture that people can scroll around and check out on their own. The individual close-ups tend to look impressive, but I feel that full tank shot pictures give you a better look at ‘what’s behind the curtain’. I’ll try to post a few of each next week.

Also, sometime in the near future, I hope to put up a simple web page for the tank. However, there just seems to be too much going on lately.

Archived