Top Shelf Aquatics

JBJ Pico

VannReefer87

VannReefer87

Hey eveyone, I was thinking about starting a JBJ Pico up for college. What do you think would be some good inhabitants. I'm planning on running everything stock for a while. Running carbon in the filter only. Do you think a small mantis would be ok in there? Or will he crack the glass? I was thinking a cool clown goby would be nice, but its such a small tank. Finally what about heating the tank? Would I even need a heater. My roomate now has a 2.5gal fresh that stays around 78 with the lights on and 75 with them off. Thanks everyone

brent-konieczny

no idea about the mantis or jbj picos for that matter. Isn't it 3.5 gals? A neon goby or the clown goby should be fine. IMO stay away from fish and get a cool shimp and lots of coral.

VannReefer87

they seem very cool...I saw that you are using a heater in yours. I was thinkin the mantis would be cool because they seem to very active hunters. Plus, I'm at college and the guys would think it was cool. N. Wennerae stay pretty small from what I've read. So i'm going to check them out. If not I'll do a harlequin or a pair of harlequins and a couple of sand sifter stars to keep them fed. Corals are def. going in there. Perhaps a Azoo Palm light, 13watt PC light upgrade too. Any opinions/comments are welcome. thanks

Premium Aquatics had one at our local frag swap and it was pretty cool. They had a really small titanium heater in theirs. I think it was either a 25w or 50w Finnex. I wouldn't put any fish in it, and if I did it would probably be a neon goby or something really small.

VannReefer87

what do you guys think?...JBJ Pico or a Jalli 4 gallon. They both would end up being around the same price. The JPJ is a 3gal with 9watt PC and 40gph filter, while the jalli is a rounded corner 4 gallon with a 18watt pc fixture but comes with no filter, so I was thinking about throwing on a AC 20.

I've seen both and I like the Jalli - certainly more watts. I'd go with the Jalli and an AC 20. My LFS just set up the Jalli 6 and 8 and they are bright.

I'd also stay away from the harlequin/sand star idea - I would think open wounds would cause ammonia spikes and what follows.

VannReefer87

I've seen both and I like the Jalli - certainly more watts. I'd go with the Jalli and an AC 20. My LFS just set up the Jalli 6 and 8 and they are bright.

yes, the Jalli definantly has the lighting advantage but I'm looking to keep this on my school desk at college so I didn't wanna have this huge looking tank. It hard because the Jalli seems to be a better tank but the JBJ has a nicer/cleaner look.

olivia640
Do you think a small mantis would be ok in there? Or will he crack the glass?

A small mantis wont crack the glass, its only the really big mantises that can do that, and even that is rare. A small mantis could break a glass heater or thermometer though.

brent-konieczny

Get the jalli setup. The jbj isn't really setup well from the start with the bio ball filtration. The jalli is a nice looking tank with a good light. All you would need is an AC HOB, prefferably modded into a fuge.

VannReefer87

Ok, I'm going with a Jalli 6g...I'm thinking of getting a AC 30 filter (150gph) and moding it into a fuge. What about a heater? any suggestions on heaters and livestock? Thanks

brent-konieczny

I've been loving my tronic 25 watt for quite some time. It keeps my temp stable all day. I think I paid like $25 for it.

Get the jalli setup. The jbj isn't really setup well from the start with the bio ball filtration. The jalli is a nice looking tank with a good light. All you would need is an AC HOB, prefferably modded into a fuge.

The Picotope doesn't have bio balls. It has a regular HotB filter. You're thinking about the Nano Cubes. Most people pitch the bio balls in those anyway. I'm using the HotB filter on my Picotope to grow chaeto. I got another light for it, and used the light that came with it as a plant light after swapping the bulb out.

Keep in mind that while the lighting in the Jalli is stronger than in the Picotope, you'll probably end up getting more light at sometime in the future if you want to keep much more than mushrooms/rics and zoos. 18W isn't that much. I put a 36W over mine, and that's the lowest I would go.

Archived