Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

first 3 gallon pico

exigency

so, like almost every other topic posted, this is my first pico. i am pretty excited about the potential (though limited) it could have. please feel free to suggest what i could possibly do.

post-20009-1145597773_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brent-konieczny

First plant some various zoos around the tank. Then you need something sweet for the top of the middle rock. Maybe a nice ricordea. I would try a firefish or neon goby (probably the neon). Anyway, whats on the shopping list/ equipment now? Cleaner crew, lighting, powerhead?

Very cool tank, is that a picotope? I've been thinking of picking one up. I'm interested to see how your tank progresses, keep us all updated.

yeah, it's the picotope that i got for 60 bucks, i guess it wasn't too bad of a deal. i am thinking about getting a powerhead, i don't know which one yet, but i was wondering if that would cause too much movement in my tank? right now i've already got a 5 blue-legged hermits in my tank (flame away), and i was possibly thinking of some green star polyps, various zoos, some ricordea, and maybe a tiny little clown goby (flame again D=). I still don't know what else to get, maybe a moonlight? SUGGESTIONS ARE STILL OPEN FOR DISCUSSION.

brent-konieczny

All those stocking plans sound fine to me. Moonlights are awesome. I just built one in 5min out of an led nightlight from menards ($4).

i actually want to build a fuge for this tiny 3 gallon, my friend built one for his 2.5 gallon a while back. i'd like to take the challenge, can anyone vie for the use of a powerhead in a 3 gallon, or should the current from my filter be enough?

I just saw this product called the PowerSweep by ZooMed, any reviews from anyone about it?

here's a follow up, no big changes at all other than the 5 hermits. just a couple more pictures showing different views of the tank. my camera phone obviously sucks, the colors don't look too nice on it.

aerial

04-23-06_1750.jpg

right side

04-23-06_1748.jpg

left side

04-23-06_1749.jpg

front

04-23-06_1747.jpg

well i've gotten 3 frags from a good friend of mine, some RPE, GSP, and a very nice ricordia. i've also gotten a new 9w 50/50 light and a little moonlight too. pics when i get a decent camera to take pictures with.

deacon hemp

I'd add the smallest mini-jet powerhead if any,the powersweeps are the hugest powerhead and the biggest POS ever. The minijets have an adjustable flow,so on low setting it shouldnt shoot corals out of your tank! LOL

I forget the name but there is a REALLY small powerhead that used to be available and they were supposed to be good.Also nikons rule for cams.

yeah, i just got a minijet 404 the other day, i'm going to use it for my fuge that i am going to build this weekend. it's going to be a pain drilling through the glass and taking it down.

Powersweeps are MASSIVE for my taste. Also, the suctions cup kept fallin off, so did the sweep. Kicked much sand :( Not to mention noisy, at least mine. And easily clogged so avoid kickin the sand near the intake.

You talking about Aquaglobe? I remember that from way back in my 5.5 gallon days. I had the powersweep in it, took like 1/8 of the tank, and someone suggested me to get get "aquaglobe" instead. I think its made by Eheim, but don't take my word for it =)

HTH

just a couple pic updates before i start drilling away at my tank -_-

the pictures look pretty bad, i'm too lazy to do any editing.

ricordia under the 50/50

ricordia.jpg

ricordia under the moonlight

moonlightricordia.jpg

moonlightricordia2.jpg

orange zoos

orange%20zoos.jpg

red people eaters

RPE.jpg

picture update. my inate picture taking skills have yet to kick in.

FTS (tank has a slight diatom problem)

FTS.jpg

pulsing pink xenias

xenia.jpg

gsp under moonlight (half closed)

moonlightgsp.jpg

moonlightgsp2.jpg

gsp under my two 50/50 pcs

gsp.jpg

gsp2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

a little update after drilling the main tank for a sump/fuge setup. it's sitting on two of my old books for now till i get a little stand built.

full tank shot

fts.jpg

my ugly intake

intake.jpg

the poor return job

return.jpg

sideshot

sideshot.jpg

sideshot of tank w/ no flash

sideshotnoflash.jpg

topdown of where the action will begin

topdown.jpg

i got my live rock, sand, and water in now. here's a picture update of what it looks like.

5 minutes after setup

5minsetup.jpg

with flash (kinda ugly)

5minsetupwflash.jpg

Archived