Pod Your Reef

IMAC Oceanic cube display

icenine

Obsessed Reefer

Well what about AGA? They haven't tried making a All-In-One yet? And they might even add... SQUARE CORNORS!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hapalochlaena lunulata
It was cool. I stopped by Friday afternoon and for a bit on Saturday. I was only able to catch a little bit of a couple presentations.

There was some neat stuff to see... new products like an electronic ballast that can dial in any wattage bulb or the oceanic cube, lots of frags for sale... Sharkysreef had a stunning clam in addition to probably the most impressive selection of coral. ...salytycritter, rod's reef and a few others had really nice frags as well.

I only ran into one nr.com'er... but a bunch of other CMAS folks were around on Saturday.

I think the main thing though really is just the fact you have all those reefers in one place... the experience of being there and the exchange of information. If you are just going to buy frags or equipment you may be dissapointed. Making a purchase at some of the boths could be a challange... because everyone is busy chatting with someone. There were some really good deals to be had still. I would have liked to have been able to spend more time there. After being able to check it out for free this year I may dedicate more time to it next year.

I, too, was at the IMAC show this year. I have just been in the hobby for about 6 months before the show, so I was extremely excited to find out about it (thanks to Justin at Ocean's Floor)... The only downfall of it was that I learned about it on Thursday, had to work Friday and Saturday and didn't get there until about 3 hours before it ended on Sunday...so about half the booths were already gone.

I would have to say that just being there and seeing all the booths was enough to get my interest in this hobby peaked even more than it already was. I already have the dates for next year's show written down in my date book so I can make sure I have at least one day off to go to it again.

As for the great deals...you are not kidding there...I just happened to catch the right vendors at the right time and ended up getting 4 free frags and an amazing deal (so good I can't even say) on an AP12...and can't go wrong with an entire case of salt for $20. The bad part is that since I live in the Rockford area, and I hung out for the raffle, the frags were dead before I got them home.

I hope to run into some of you at IMAC next year. Haven't met very many people yet that share this hobby and I am looking forward to doing so!

I got a Pod, no cracks here.

or here

The local LFS has the Oceanic 14 gallon for $157.00.

I was surprised to see it as I was not even aware that Oceanic was making these aquariums. It looked decent and had a removeable/replacement type filter cartridge. Not that I care since I filter the water through live rock pieces and occasionaly filter floss in my 12g cube and 24g pod.

They didn't have the 29 gallon yet and I was told that it was not out yet but the price is around $220.

Hapalochlaena lunulata

I saw the 14 gallon one today at Glen Ellyn Pet Center on Roosevelt Rd in Glen Ellyn. I think I remember seeing it was marked at roughly $150-160. I wish I remembered to pay attention closer to the price.

RayWhisperer

Ocean's Floor has all sizes in stock now. I was suprised how big the 29 was.

Welcome to you two new guys/gals.

Anyone have one yet? What are the specs in terms of lighting of the various sizes..anyone know?

The specs were posted earlier in this thread.

I bought the 8 (the specs say it is actually 8.9. It has 2 50/50 18W PC lights. I really like the tank. The back compartment has 3 chambers. 1) pump 2) BioBalls 3) Carbon filter. It has an intake at the bottom and top of the 3rd chamberSome of the features I like are.

1) External Ballast - This is a little clunky but is should help with the heat problems some have been haveing with other cubes.

2) Lighting - The lights are all on separate plugs so you can use a timmer. This includes the moonlights.

The one thing I did not like is the one I got came scratched so I returned it and am waiting for a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
sororityreefer

Has anyone found this offered at an online retailer?

My two LFS's don't carry them, and one not so local one that deals Oceanic will special order you one but then it is unable to be returned.

I got one last weekend from a LFS for 260.00. He only had three, two to sell and one they were setting up for display (they took down the Nano)

Mine is a 29 gallon. Does this still count as a "Nano Reef"?

Observations:

It looks about as high as a 24 Aquapod, but wider and deeper.

I like the way the light ballasts are remote. And the whole lighting system is sealed up, nicely. It does have two fans venting the lighting enclosure. They seem quiet enough. But the grill work for the vents are very restrictive.

I turned on all the lights and put the extra pump I plan on installing in, and let them run for 24 hours. Temp seemed to stablize at 81.7.

The Stock pump at first evaluation seems to flow harder than the MJ 900.

I'm shopping online right now for parts for MODs to do before the salt water goes in.

I got one last weekend from a LFS for 260.00. He only had three, two to sell and one they were setting up for display (they took down the Nano)

Mine is a 29 gallon. Does this still count as a "Nano Reef"?

Observations:

It looks about as high as a 24 Aquapod, but wider and deeper.

I like the way the light ballasts are remote. And the whole lighting system is sealed up, nicely. It does have two fans venting the lighting enclosure. They seem quiet enough. But the grill work for the vents are very restrictive.

I turned on all the lights and put the extra pump I plan on installing in, and let them run for 24 hours. Temp seemed to stablize at 81.7.

The Stock pump at first evaluation seems to flow harder than the MJ 900.

I'm shopping online right now for parts for MODs to do before the salt water goes in.

A full photo spread is a must.

I am dieing to see the guts of those hoods.

A full photo spread is a must.

I am dieing to see the guts of those hoods.

Sorry ENraged........ No camera..... But I'm trying to get one this weekend. Maybe then....

masterbuilder
$378.00???

The LFS has them for $257!

Yup...I was going to order a 8 gallon for my kids from pets-warehouse.com(for a glorified Beta tank), until I saw the PRICE! What a rip!

Got them a 6 gallon cube from Nanocustoms for $80.

Hey Guys and Gals, Look at this. I was on E-bay and I found the Oceanic Biocube 29 for $218.00 + shipping! And the same seller also has the other 2 sizes as well! Get 'em while they"re HOT!!!

Here is a link to the e-bay page:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oceanic-Bio-Cube-29-Ga...5QQcmdZViewItem

Be sure to check out the seller's page for info on the other sizes. Good Luck!

Update: Here is a direct link to the seller's page from e-bay showing all of the Biocube sizes and pricing.

http://stores.ebay.com/Corals-Plus

I just placed an order for the 29 gallon size.

• 5 months later...

thanks for bringing it back up. does anyone have any updates on how their 29 biocube is running? i almost picked one up the other day. the thing looks huuuuge

Archived