Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

IMAC Oceanic cube display

icenine

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reefer Addict
that's what I'm thinking - I'm going to wait to see the pricing on the aquamedic nanowave 9

Let see....

JBJ a light manufacturer building a tank - results cracks.

Current USA a light manufacturer building a tank - results cracks.

Aquamedic a light manufacturer building a tank - results 'cracks'?

Oceanic a tank manufacturer building a tank - results 'no cracks'?

I've said this before, if Oceanic can't build a reliable all in one tank then it can't be done. Anyone who thinks a light manufacturer can do it is just dreaming.

Aqua medic builds most of its stuff in Germany though while Current and JBJ build in in overseas american (i mean asia). We'll have to wait and see where it is built.

If what you are getting at is that all glass all-in-one tanks suck, then no arguement there.

Reefer Addict

I'm getting at manufacturers should stick to what they do best.

It will be interesting what the aquamedic price is going to be. I can't see how it can be competitive being built in Geramany. The labor cost is astronomical as compared to Asia. This on top of the Euro/Dollar conversion.

• 2 weeks later...
Let see....

I've said this before, if Oceanic can't build a reliable all in one tank then it can't be done. Anyone who thinks a light manufacturer can do it is just dreaming.

I'm getting at manufacturers should stick to what they do best.

And how does GE, SAAB, Rolls-Royce, 3M... do I need to go on... fit in your theory?

And how does GE, SAAB, Rolls-Royce, 3M... do I need to go on... fit in your theory?

Hyundai makes a hell of a crane. Don't forget about them. :D Also, a lot of these products are just branded by these companies. They may have some input on design/function but do not manufacture anything.

I got a Pod, no cracks here.

Let see....

I got a Pod, no cracks here.

Same here - no cracks. Don't recall reports of cracking on Pods from use. Just poor shipping/packing. Completely unfounded...

I just got off the phone with Chris from nanocustoms.

He says he is a bit reluctant to carry the Oceanic tank because they are being made by JEBO in china.

JEBO is also the company that makes the odyssea stuff, so I am also a bit reluctant.

Chris, if you read this. Sorry. I know you said not to tell, but I just have to inject my 0.02

The fact of the matter is, everything is being made in Asia.

Aquamedic stopped making stuff in Germany Last year and many vendors inside of the industry have been slightly let down.

RA - you have a good point, but the fact is, the economies of scale overseas are so much better than a domestic product, that they just see $$$ and volume.

If they can build a tank for 10 dollars, ship it for 5 and mark it up at the wholesale level for $100, they have made a buttload of money.

Whoever it is who let the cat out of the bag about Oceanics product, you suck. I told you that in confidence and you betrayed me.

Chris

Obsessed Reefer

I dont get JBJ. Their site and logo is "JBJ Lighting" But they also go under the name of "TransWorld Aquatics". So are they mainly about lighting, but decided to make a tank, or the other way?

The fact of the matter is, everything is being made in Asia.

Aquamedic stopped making stuff in Germany Last year and many vendors inside of the industry have been slightly let down.

RA - you have a good point, but the fact is, the economies of scale overseas are so much better than a domestic product, that they just see $$$ and volume.

If they can build a tank for 10 dollars, ship it for 5 and mark it up at the wholesale level for $100, they have made a buttload of money.

Whoever it is who let the cat out of the bag about Oceanics product, you suck. I told you that in confidence and you betrayed me.

Chris

Chris, it sounds like the people involved at every level of the economic chain are not familiar with Dr. Deming’s 14 Points. I’d be happy to rent you the following video: http://www.pqsystems.com/buy/RightFirstTime.php

Reefer Addict

They fit well in my theory. All the manufacturers that you mention have years if not decades of experience in the markets that they are apart of. If not, they buy the companies that do.

How long has Current USA been in the 'tank manufacturing' business? B)

Chris-I totally agree with you. That's why I questioned an earlier post where someone stated something about Aquamedic's tanks being built in Germany. It did not make sense to me that Aquamedic would do this.

I couldnt agree more with the "buy right the first time" theory.

Its not to brag or say that the products we MANUFACTURE here at Nanocustoms are the "best", but I've hired a skilled staff that produces high quality work that we take pride in. Everything we manufacture is done in house or with reputable vendors stateside. They are more expensive, and could have easily been made overseas for pennies on the dollar, but thats not what we are about.

When you think of Jesse James, Orange County Choppers, and the like, you realize that this is more of a culture than it is about dollars and cents. People take pride in ownership of products that have been customized to their liking. I know our products (custom systems, etc) arent cheap, but you'll hear very few complaints about the way they are built and perform.

I took a late night idea and turned it into a company, mostly through the support of members of this site.

More and more, as we get further into the development and into the guts of the products that are coming from China, we realize that although they are cheap, the maxim "you get what you pay for" holds true. Crappy connections, inconsistencies, and poor quality control are the dregs of the modern globalization that is taking place.

On the flip side, lots of people on this site are looking to save a buck. And I don't blame them at all. They want to save some money by jury rigging ballasts, finding parts from homedepot, etc, but thats the spirit of the site.

Our target has always been the high end market, the AMG or M owners of the nano-reef world, and for those owners, they want to have a souped up aquarium, and spend little time trying to find a way to save a buck, because their time is valuable.

I would be hesistant about trusting a brand based on its previous track record tho, as my pocketbook can attest.

When I was a bit younger and less wise, I thought a Mercedes would help me escape the problems of American Cars, so I bought a C32 AMG. Supercharged V6 , Porche Killer and 0 to 60 in 4.9seconds.

That car nearly killed me 5 times, when the ECU would cut off while cruising down the freeway. MB is now at the bottom of the pack in quality, and that assumption that german engineering fell prey to the stregnthening Euro and desire of Daimler Germany to make up for quality by selling parts to MB USA.

I'll probably never buy another mercedes as long as I live. For those 5 visits (bear in mind I was TOWED in. Feet on the pavement of the 405) with my 65000 rocket, I saw millions of dollars of cars in the service center, all based on the assumption that MB produced a quality product. When I finally got the Car Lemoned, they gave me an 03 model identical to my previous car. With the ODO at 500miles, the car took another crap on me. They decided to give me my money back, but they were so backed up with Lemons that it took a full 6 months to settle.

In that time, I got a GMC truck, and that has been rock solid since day 1.

As time has proven to me, reputations can be built over centuries and destroyed over years.

This isnt because i'm partial to the JBJ lines, or Current USA, but don't count on any company's past reputation to speak for its future.

Oceanic has a very promising product, and so does aquamedic. But the fact is, everyone in the market right now is trying to tag along with the trend JBJ set. Although JBJ has had its problems (remember 1 year ago, Nanocustoms and JBJ parted ways), they have been addressing them, and I can easily say that their product lines have increased in quality.

Like the saying goes, "only time will tell". Which is why I told "la reefer" I was going to wait a while to carry the Oceanic line.

RA- Current USA has never been in the Tank manufacturing business, but when a company like oceanic, who is in the tank manufacturing business goes overseas to a junk company like JEBO, what does that say about that company? Are they focusing on quality? or are they merely trying to get the "china price" on something they could manufacture on their own.

As an aside. If you are looking for a high quality all in one, I would lean toward finnex. They are a company that is having their tanks handcrafted in America, and take quality as thier number 1 selling point. They arent as profitable, but they dont rest on their laurels.

Chris

I dont get JBJ. Their site and logo is "JBJ Lighting" But they also go under the name of "TransWorld Aquatics". So are they mainly about lighting, but decided to make a tank, or the other way?

Transworld Aquatics Enterprises does more than just lighting and the nanocube family. They are one of the countries biggest (albiet lesser known) importers of livestock.

JBJ started as a company that made lights, but IMHO, took on the nanocube as a product to help its brand gain recognition. On many occasions, when I was on site with the bigwhigs at JBJ, they have said to me "Where are these people coming from?"

They underestimated the popularity of the product and soon found themselves in a different line of business.

I think the moral of the story is, although JBJ was once the laughing stock of the industry, they have evolved into an industry leader. You'll now find their products in nearly every aquarium store and even "sigh... petco".

Lets try to kick this back on topic. The Oceanic BioCube.

Chris

Whoever it is who let the cat out of the bag about Oceanics product, you suck. I told you that in confidence and you betrayed me

Sorry Chris.. I didnt think it would cause this many problems. If you want, i'll edit my post.

I didn't expect such drama out of this thread.

:P

I hear what you are saying about the finnex tanks chris, my only problem with them is that they are acrylic (none of the bigger tanks in that line come in glass do they?).... a super bad choice for a nano IME.

They fit well in my theory. All the manufacturers that you mention have years if not decades of experience in the markets that they are apart of. If not, they buy the companies that do.

How long has Current USA been in the 'tank manufacturing' business?

Every company has a first day of manufacturing a new product line. Some stick to only one line, e.g. In-N-Out Burger, and others diversify. After years of software development it didn’t take Microsoft long to make good hardware. There are plenty of newer and smaller scale examples, like Actodyne General and their Fender-Lace Sensor, but unless you’re familiar with them, they wouldn’t make a good example. Of course I mentioned well known examples that prove diversification; whether it’s horizontal, concentric or conglomerate, often result in high quality new product lines. Good companies sometimes make bad products and bad companies sometimes make good products. Each product should be judged on it’s own quality, not on the company’s reputation. Ask Chris, he’s unhappy with his German made C32 AMG but my friend is very happy with his Mercedes killer American made Panoz. Personally I’ll wait to see if there are no quality concerns with the Oceanic before I make a decision.

After years of software development it didn't take Microsoft long to make good hardware.

Yeah, they never have made good software. B)

Reefer Addict
Yeah, they never have made good software. B)

I bet Nednai thinks their software is good... :lol:

Side bar - I am very happy with my Mercedes AMG S55... B)

I bet Nednai thinks their software is good... :lol:

I'm a Mac user except when I need to use SAS, SPSS, Systat, EViews, Minitab or JMP. I thought MS was a good example of a company that previously hade a poor product line and later, after diversification, came out with a good product line. As a side note, I love my Sunbeam Tiger!

Isn't that a Ford?

It's no more a Ford than a Panoz is. I saw a Ford GT the other day and it looked pretty sweet.

Archived