SaltCritters.com

looking for freebie mantis shrimp - will pay shipping

duckhuntboy

Keng Yew, Leong

Why not ask an Asian like me.They are very tasty but very high in fat too.You can eat them fried in a butter batter.Oh, it won No 6 shrimp in the Practical Fishkeeping mag.

Yummy yummy mantis shrimp down my belly.I dont care they are the bastards in reef tanks.

I believe you're right Lizbeth that the Mantises that show up at Ranch 99s are a coldwater variety. These should be Hemisquilla based on this post from Dr. Caldwell at RC.

And here's another post from Dr. Caldwell regarding eating stomatopods during his travels in their research: Eating Stomatopods

Also this post regarding large Lysiosquillina Maculata in Hawaii and eating one: Large shrimp thriving in Ala Wai Canal muck

While in Hong Kong I've seen tanks full of large 8-10 inch long spearers, probably too packed into a tank to worry about battling with each other. I've heard quite a bit that they're very tasty though.

-Rogue

:|

Oh man, eating out of the Ala Wai - too funny. That'll fer sure cause you to bear children with an arm growing out of the forehead, six nipples and hands for feet.

duckhuntboy

I just got a couple mantises from a guy online, and I don't have a tank for each one yet. They battle it out all the time, it's great! Sometimes they crack at the acrylic with their smashers, but a;; is well so far. I would definately recommend getting one. They will watch you all day. After mine got to know me, he comes out to say "howdy".Their eyes are nuts though. It's like how the mona lisa stares at you when you walk past her.... Their eyes move and stare, wherever you are.

• 7 months later...

Ive had mantis shrimp attack lures while ive been out fishing. I was using an extremely shiny "yo-zuri" lure. I woulda been ####ed if i lost it, the little thing cost 8 bucks a pop, dang japanese!

The ones we have in south texas dig pits in the sand flats that look like cones and they wait in the bottom of them for "prey" to swim by. they are pure evil encased by an exoskeleton.

well i got an exam tommorow gotta love midterms

P.S. calculus = satan^2.

Archived