Coral Vue Hydros

looking for freebie mantis shrimp - will pay shipping

duckhuntboy

There's an Asian Market by my house that sells them by the pound (ranch 99). I swear I stared at that tank for 10 mins. looking at the hundreds of mantis shrimps they had in there and all the colors.

i know somone that can go and catch you a ciliata or a phillipean mantis but i think he charges like 20.00 unless theres something hes looking to trade.

Originally posted by LakerFan

There's an Asian Market by my house that sells them by the pound (ranch 99).  I swear I stared at that tank for 10 mins. looking at the hundreds of mantis shrimps they had in there and all the colors.

do people eat them or something?? go buy all the nice ones and sell em online...

i betta them little bastages would be good with garlic and butter! i should eaten the ciliata i used to have when the sucker stuck me one day!

Yeah it looked like people eat them. They were right next to the live lobsters, shrimps, crabs, fish and oysters.

They looked like this pic with a lighter body color, and they were around 6 inches each.

I've heard that the ones sold at markets are "cold water" mantis, whatever that means. And that they don't fair well in warm water tanks. But since they are sold to eat......what the heck! try it.

I wouldn't be able to eat anything that was in my tank. Not because I would feel bad for the critter, mainly because I consider anything in my tank to be edible only on Fear Factor.

Lizbeth, did he eat it boiled with cocktail sauce or drawn butter?

I was just watching the top 10 something (i dont remeber what it was the top 10 of) and number 6 was mantis shrimp. it was pretty cool! they are means SOBs!! they are stong enought o shatter glass!

So I went to back to the store this weekend to try them ( umm for a ten gal tank with some LR in it and sauteed in garlic and butter!!!!!!! And they were all gone!!!!!!!!!!!!! they must have had 300 of these thing in that tank and now they're all gone!!!

Archived