Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Crakeur's Caulerpa Tank and some other critters too

Crakeur

well, I've been saying pics will be posted for a while now so here are a few. Please note that I tried my best to not include the caulerpa that is growing everywhere.

this is another from patrick that I have had for several months. this is the army green monti with the purple rim. only, this one came broken and is the smaller frag which has grown about 10 times it's size and has started growing upwards. sadly the purple is gone but the ployps are an orange color in some spots. Satch, when it falls again I am snapping a piece off for ya.

this is a green tree that I picked up from coralsandbar.com nice sized frag that suffered a bit when I first put it in but it seems to be doing better now. the green polyps in the back were lifted from the 72 gallon bow that my father has in his apartment. the green crud everywhere else is the bane of my existence

lastly, an overhead shot of the gsp that satchmo included in the box the last time he dropped stuff off. he warned me that this strain was stronger than the xenia so I glued it to the glass with the hopes that it would spread there and stay there. so far so good.

Very nice. I see your hydno is as big and hairy as mine B) The 'fro looks to have gotten a bit thicker since the last round of pics. Throw a baby hippo in there and let him take care of it. He'll have friends waiting at the office when he's done. The rics look nice! Can't wait to get my threesome of 'em from logical. The GSP (IME and from what I've been told from others I've traded with) seems to not grow at all for a while when it's put in a new tank. Once it's settled in, BAM! It grows like a weed.

Been to MR? Looks like they're changing the date and possibly the locale to Josh Saul's place in Union Square. I'd rather meet at your office, but it looks like I'm in the minority.

I would rather not be involved at all, since I stand to gain nothing but a leftover mess. I was offering my office because it's centrally located in NYC and because I thought it might be helpful to all involved, mainly Bryan. If they want to meet elsewhere, it just means I don't have to go to the office on a saturday until March (tax time)

I am by all means NOT saying this to make you feel better or lying in any way, but, I like the look of the algae growing in there. Is it all mostly Macro? Of course, it is a bit more on the maintenance side to give it a hair cut to keep it at bay. Really, I think it looks good. It gives it that well established natural look. I am actually trying to get algae to grow in one of my tanks. Yes, you heard me right, it looks too sterile without any and somewhat un-natural. I was always a big fan of naturally planted freshwater tanks and am somewhat angry at the fact that there is not enough nice seaweeds or macros on the market to "plant up" a reef. So here will probably be the first time you will ever hear the "Hey man, nice algae, I love it, has it been growing long?" Just remember, one mans junk is another mans treasure.

thanks liquid and I agree that those pristine tanks look a bit artificial but this is insane. it is caulerpa, mexicana I think, and it is everywhere. the growth spurt started about a month ago but I was so busy battling hair algae that I didn't notice the gradual change from hair to caulerpa until it was too late (plus, I spend way less time with the tank since the baby arrived). If I could pull out some of the caulerpa and not destroy it, I would be glad to send it to you. Hell, if it grows onto some rock that is removable, the weed is yours.

Thankfully, everything else is doing great, although I lost an acro frag to algae overgrow but that is my fault for not clipping it more. there are zoos buried in the fur as well but I just don't have the energy, time or patience to get in there and really rip it apart.

sweet crack! i too like the natural look. i'm actually letting some hair algae grow on the uptake tube of my prizm to maintain that natural look. as long as it stays isolated in the one spot, i don't got a problem with it. i did have a big hair algae problem, but some turbos took care of it for me.

The snails do do a good job. In fact, that is the spots where the algae is, on their shells. The whole tank is void of hair except for the 1 inch green fro's on the astrea snails. A small pea sized patch has started to grow and if it makes it to grow long enough, it may make it. I have those strange soft flat shelled snails flying around the tank eating everything. I did not put them in , they hitchhiked and do a great job, I just don't know what they are called.

Thanks for the offer of the free caulerpa Crakeur, but no thanks. The mexicana is the taxifolia/feathery stuff right? I tried that not to long ago and had a similar thing happen. The original tuft liquified the first week and about 2 weeks later it was growing through the substrate like grass. I plucked it all out of the substrate and whipped out the electric toothbrush with the battery compartment sealed in a sandwhich bag and elastic band and scrubbed the whole tank down (got scared it would take over). I have seen none since and hope it stays that way. I have however introduced some grape caulerpa in about a week ago and hope it stays more at bay (I could not resist, I want green plant life in there). I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. I was thinking of getting a few balls of that gracillaria (I think is the name, bad with spelling) in the green and red varieties. I doubt that stuff will get out of control.

Hey, if your corals are not all attached, I would try and flip your rocks around. Put the parts with the algae on them over out of the direct light and more or less in the dark. A long time ago, I had a 8" acropora that had died and ended up with algae all in between the "limbs" that I just could not scrub out and the snails or crabs could not reach. It looked horrible but instead of removing it, I threw it towards the rear side to prop up another rock and coral. The dead acro was basically in the dark. About three weeks later I realized that all the algae had died and I could see the inner "trunk" clearly. Just a suggestion, basically put corals to the side and flip the whole reef over out of the light.

I have attached a pic of one of the soft shell slug/snail things that has kept the tank so void of hair/slime etc.. They should have named THESE guys "Turbo" snails, they really fly around the tank. I suppose it is similar to the nudibranch you were using only I think they would be cheaper (if anyone sells them). They squeeze in places normal snails and crabs can't and really do a great job eating everything. I have not seen them eat any of the macro so I doubt they would help you in that area, but if you still have hair, I would try to find someone selling these guys (I only have 2 in the 2.5 but if they multiply you are more then welcome to some). Another good thing is they don't fall behind the reef and get stuck upsidedown and end up dieing and fouling up the water or ripped out of their shells by hermits for housing. These are just another thing I feel every tank should have unyet no one sells. Geez, I have got to stop with these ultra long posts, sorry for another chapter added. Heres the pic and again, good luck with the battle.

that is a sea hare of some sort. I read somewhere that they have a shell when they are smaller but they lose it during their growth. Anyway, they are algae machines but some get big, real big, so be prepared for a monster. I have some in my fuge but have been unable to get them out, although I don't know if they will munch on mexicana like they munch on hair algae.

Sadly, I will keep pruning, plucking, scrubbing etc. and hope I can remove it faster than it grows.

liquid, they are sold under the name sea bunnies or sea hares. indo-pacific sells them in mated pairs. they multiply like mad, according to their site.

I think I might have to pick up some of the stuff.

Archived