Coral Vue Hydros

QuaveCube's 72 Bowfront Odyssey

QuaveCube

Budget approved. I have been cleared to buy the skimmer, fuge and lights. I bought a Bermuda Aquatics skimmer from my LFS. It looks like a great skimmer and is made locally, so I am giving back....ha ha.

Here is the skimmer.

fugeandskimmer004.jpg

I also put some research into the fuge idea. My original plan was to buy a cheap 10 gal glass aquarium from PetSmart and have a local glass shop drill the holes. However, when I called the shop, they wanted 75 bucks to drill two 1 inch holes. So I got creative. I bought a 2 dollar 16 quart clear bin from Target and drill holes in it. The I plumbed it with bulkheads and fittings like I would a regular glass tank. I bought a MiniJet 404 for it. It is PERFECT. Nice and slow flow. Perfect for growing macro and pods. Here are some pics. It fits perfectly right on top of my sump.

fugeandskimmer003.jpg

fugeandskimmer002.jpg

fugeandskimmer001.jpg

What do you think?

Chris

For the lights, I am leaning towards a 48 inch canopy with dual 250 watt 14K SE's from Cool Touch Lighting. There aren't many people on here that have tried them, but there are a few on RC and they say good things. And for under 500 for a dual 250 complete setup, it's a hell of a deal.

I think I am going to buy them.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided I am going to wait until after I move and cycle the tank to buy the lights. I did go ahead and buy a Premium Reef 50gpd RO/DI unit. It seems like a great deal at 150 from PremiumAquatics. Here is the link for it

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...ode=Premiumreef

It should ship tomorrow and hopefully be here by the end of the week. I am tired of lugging 5 gallon jugs up 3 flights of stairs. And this is a toy I can use on my NC as well.

Chris

Likes the sump with DIY fuge--looks like it should work well... just watch heat--over time it might stress that plastic????

Izzue

I am planning on cramming a big fan or two down there to try my hand at evaporative cooling. Hopefully with those, it will stay cool enough to keep the plastic bin "in shape."

Also, I noticed from the picture that it looks like the fuge is just resting on the rims of the sump and that it might fall in. That is not the case. The Oceanic Reef Ready sump comes with a 1/2 inch thick piece of glass with two holes in it for the return line/s. It sits on the rim of the sump in a groove and is very sturdy. This is what I have the fuge sitting on and the drain and return are plumbed through the two holes.

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I AM BACK!!!!

Sorry, it has been so long. I ran out of funds and my tank setup got put on the back burner. It was a good thing however, because I am back now and have had enough time to save for the rest of the items I have needed. The tank is up and running now and cycling beautifully.

To pick up where I left off.....

LIGHTS:

I bought an "ebay special" retrofit kit. I know it isn't recommended, but I couldn't pass up two batwing reflectors, two magnetic ballast and three 175W mogul bulbs for 160 bucks. Two of the bulbs are 20k and one is 10k. The brand is Plus Rite. I have never heard of them and I doubt anyone here has either, but they will be just fine for now. I am going to run the 2 20k's for now and see how it goes. I built a hood for them with an acrylic shield that sits about 4 inches above the water which puts the bulbs themselves about 9 inches above the water. PICTURES TO COME.

SUMP:

The sump is a mess. Well, maybe not a mess....but very very crowded. Currently I have the Mag 24 pump, two overflow lines (1 in and 3/4 in), the skimmer above with pump, the Precision Marine Kalkreactor, and my homemade fuge with a 10W T5 mounted over it. There is no more room for anything and maintenance is also a PAIN. I could probably pull the reactor out or the fuge out, but I kinda like taking the "Guerrero Approach" and hiding as much as possible in the stand out of sight. Also, I don't know how I am going to fit the fans I spoke of above to facilitate evaporative cooling. I sure hope I don't have to bite the bullet and buy a chiller. PICTURES TO COME.

ATO:

I currently have a reservoir of RO/DI of about 10 gal set with a float switch to auto top off the sump. I DON'T LIKE IT. I have noticed that it causes the top off pump to switch on and off constantly. After thinking about it, I don't see any system that utilizes a float switch not having this problem. Maybe I will ditch the float switch and just set a timer to run 15 minutes a day or something. It will take a while to figure out the interval....but I think the pump will thank me. PICTURES TO COME.

ONE MORE THING:

Sorry about the long post. I just wanted to give an update on where I am at. I do, however, have one question that I need you experts' help on. I have a zillion microbubbles appearing. They aren't collecting on rocks or anything, and they aren't visible without the lights on, but I am anal and I want crystal clear water. I figured it was caused by the splashing of overflow water and skimmer water in the sump....so I manuevered sponges for the water to land on and prevent bubbles. It helped some, but I stll have microbubbles. I checked the return line for leaks...it is airt-tight and is not pulling any air from the surface. I don't know what else it could be.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Again, sorry for the long post,

Chris

Archived