ReefCleaners.org

QuaveCube's 72 Bowfront Odyssey

QuaveCube

I bought the fitting I need for this plumbings adventure on my lunch break from Coral Oasis. I love that LFS.

Anyways,

I decided to run one inch tubing from the pump to the bulkhead. After the bulkhead, I have no choice but to reduce the pipe to 3/4 inch due to the size of the hole and the bulkheads available. Then I am going to split with a T fitting and run 3/4 line to each side of the overflow. There, I will have 3/4 inch locline Y's connected to the large fan nozzles.

All in all, I will have four 3/4 inch outlets running from the mag 24. I know this will be enough flow at over 33X the volume of the tank and I am hoping the 4 nozzles will give me enough flexibility to aim in the directions I need.

I am also going to try to build a shelf in the cabinet above the sump to mount the pump on. This way, it won't be in the water emitting all that heat and if it leaks, it will just leak into the sump (unless it sprays).

I will upload pics when I am done.

Chris

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

splitting the mag 24 into 4 outlets is going to really diminsh flow. i have a mag 950 with 4 ft of 3/4" line, 2 "L" fittings and the flow is probably around 700 gph. i'd use 2 pumps.

So you are saying that you lost about 25% because of the T? If that happened to me at the same ratio.....then the flow coming out of the T would be 1800 gph. That is still 25X the tank volume per hour.....plenty for me. I don't think the locline Y's will reduce flow much.

How did you figure out what your resultant flow rate was?

reefcentral.com has a calculator for flow, you input your plumbing specs and pump size and VOILA!! flow estimate. i dont have a "T", just 2 pvc "L"s, 4 ft of 3/4" tube and one nozzle. your pump on my setup would give me 1075 gph, a respectable amount, but still considerable loss.

The reason the loss is so great on your setup is that you only have one nozzle. I will have 4.

Also, the four nozzles all have the same diameter as the line they are split from. There will be far less loss due to decreased volume of pipe.

hmmmm... my setup with my pump gives me 660 gph, if i input 4 outlets into the computation i get 585 gph. to put it into perspective, one garden hose split into 4 outlets will not have the same velocity, and velocity is needed to overcome gravity which is what your fighting.

I have finished plumbing the return. Below are some pictures of it before the leak test. I will let you know how that goes and how good the flow looks.

PLUMBING1.jpg

PLUMBING4.jpg

PLUMBING3.jpg

PLUMBING2.jpg

I added 1/4 turn valves after the pump and after the drain. This way I can shut off water at either end should I need to.

Good and bad results from the leak test so far......good, is it doesn't leak. Bad news is that the overflow cannot handle the mag 24 even with it split to 4 nozzles and about 4 feet of vertical climb.

I had to turn the valve i put after the pump down to about 75% so that the overflow could keep up.

Any suggestions?

I think I might have to use both of the holes in the overflow for draining and run the return line up the back and over the top. Is this the only choice I have?

Chris

I think the overflow will be ok. I have managed to stabalize the flow with the pump all the way on. I think it will be fine. Damn that is a strong pump. I am thinking I should've got a smaller one. Oh well.

My wife isn't too happy about the noise factor of it. But I think she will get used to it. Maybe we will move to a bigger place (bigger than a 1 bed apt.) and it won't be so noticable.

Still, any ideas on the return would be great.

Chris

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Chris,

Why didn't you go with just a Mag 12? I originally started with the Mag 7 which is rated really good for a 72 gallon bowfront.

I learned that for each 1 inch bulk head drain you get about 600 GPH. Thats the standard but many reefers can push it to 1000 gph.

Some drains are an inch and a quarter and some are 2 inches. Ours is only one inch.

Some say it depends on the grill of the teeth on the overflow how quickly water can enter the mega flow, I think it's the size of the drain.

I did upgrade to the mag 12 because I purchased a chiller and needed the power to drive the chiller.

Since I've recently connected a UV unit I added the extra mag 7 to my sump and back up to my tank; big mistake, my drain couldn't take it, so I just run it in a closed loop back to the sump.

Don't restrict your return line with ball valves, they are not meant to dial down on a constant basis, the rubber will fail in time and you will leak. They are made to stay open or closed and thats it.

If you want to dial down without the ball valve, introduce several 90 degree elbows and you'll lose pressure.

So how did you get it to stabalize?

MG

To stabalize the flow, without having to use the ball valve, I just let the overflow drain to the level of the intake for the stand pipe. Then I turned on the pump and it stayed at that level, or just a little above. I also ran the drain pipe to below the level of the sump. This, I think is causing a siphoning effect that is pull water through the drain faster than gravity can push it.

Now in hind-sight, I should have gone with the smaller pump. I didn't realize the drain would be so limited. However, now I am stuck with this pump, so I will make it work. (I am an engineer....I should be able to figure it out.)

If I need to, I will pull the plumbing out and use both holes as drains and run the returns up the back.

Chris

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Yes Chris,

You are right, if you use both holes as drains you will be okay, several reefers do it and are successful.

Either way I know you'll be okay. So what is next?

MG

Well,

I am going to let the pump run for a while and make sure that I have found a stable equilibrium. I also have the large fan nozzles form locline on each of the 4 outlets. I might try putting the smaller nozzles on there and see how it feels. The velocity from each nozzle is kind of weak and maybe the smaller nozzles will stifle the flow a little. I would really like to only use the one pump and not have to have any powerheads.

Next, I will probably buy a skimmer and figure out the refugium. The flow in the sump is a little strong to put macro in it. Maybe I can squeeze a small 5 or 10 gal tank above the sump. That would be nice.

I will also see if I can buy the lights. The only thing is I am trying to change jobs and will probably be moving. I don't want to get too far in the setup and then have to tear it all down again. I will let you know.

Chris

Chris

Sounds great that Mike is helping ya alot--- one thing I wanted to mention-- Mike did not go this route on his tank but the way he did hes LR you barely notice the PH... But for a cleaner look, have you thought about a OCeans Motions squirt ....check out their web site and go to forums and (cant remember what the name was) they have a bow front setup with a 4 way squirt that looks awesome

Just MY 0.02

Keep up the work

Izzue

I thought about the squirt. It is a nice device and it is definately a possibility in the future. However, as far as wavemaking goes.....I am going to hold off and get all the other systems up and running first. Wavemaking is going to have to take the back seat for a bit.

I have decided to pull the return out of the overflow and use both holes as drains. I am also going to get out my dremel and cut into the mega-flow. I think better skimming and more flow can be achieved by extending the "slots" to the top of the overflow wall. Below are some diagrams (sorry for the crude drawing)

Old overflow

oldoverflow.jpg

New overflow

newoverflow.jpg

What do you think?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I think you are modifying a legend of a tank. I have read numerous reports that it's about the restriction at the teeth of the overflow that create the imbalance.

Once you mod this area and open the second drain it's more power for you to play with.

MG

Mike,

Are you saying its a bad idea to open the teeth? I thought it would be a good idea and an easy fix along with the second drain to increase flow.

Chris

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Chris,

Modding the teeth on the mega flow is opening the gate for more water to enter the drain; a very good thing if you have a huge return pump as you do.

It's when these teeth get clogged with algae and snails that you get problems with imbalance.

I am eager to see how your project turns out.

MG

I cut the teeth on the overflow like the drawing above. It does not seem to necessarily increase the flow but I am still glad I did it because I have noticed that the equilibrium water level when the tank is running is sometimes just above the top of the overflow holes. This will result in bad surface skimming. Now the holes are always above the water line thus ensuring the water is pulled from the surface.

Here is a pic of what it looks like now.

overflowteeth.jpg

I am going to replumb the return line today after work. The goal is to have two durso-style standpipes in the overflow. One is 1 inch an the other will be 3/4 inch. I then will run a 1 inch return line up the back of the tank and tee it into two 3/4 inch lines that will split into two 3/4 inch nozzles each. I am also going to lengthen the return line on the right of the overflow so that the flow comes from the other side of the tank. I think it will be more balanced if all of the water is not coming from right at the overflow.

RC says I will be able to drain 1800 gph with these two overflow drains. That should be plenty considering RC also says I am only getting about 1400 gph out of the Mag24.

I will post pics and results later tonight.

Chris

Success!!!

The overflow is keeping up with the pump with no problems. I did have some problems with noise at first because the smaller durso was at a lower level than the larger one, thus causing an air siphon and a loud sucking noise. I pulled the smaller one out and just put a 90 elbow on the end of the pipe at a higher point that the large durso. Now the only noise is that of the pump.....something I can get used to.

One objective completed. I am not sure what I want to do next. I will probably be moving in the next couple months, so getting to set up would be a waste of time.

Chris

You are right. I was thinking of what I could put in there until I move (ie. A nice attractive fish or two.) But I really don't want to waste over 100 gallons of salt water. Right now I am just running tap water with 3 gallons of vinegar to clean the tank. There was some nasty dried up 2 year old algae and coraline stuck in there.

i've thought out a move of my 65 gallon if the situation arose and i dont think it would be that bad. first off i'd buy a cheap glass 55 gallon holding tank and put it in the new place, then transfer the water minus the amount for a 20% water change. add the waterchange, then haul ass with the liverock in remaining tank water (in large plastic bins.) along with the rock i'd transport the livestock. move the tank and stand and set it up. while i'm doing all this and by the time i'm done all my other stuff will have been moved by my friends. buy them pizza and beer and act as if nothing is wrong!

We'll see how my interviews go over the next week or so. I may be moving out of state and thus would not be able to keep anything alive during the move. I am worried if I do move out of state. I am not sure what I will do with my 24NC. It is thriving and I don't want to sell it off.

I don't know. I will have to think about it when the need arises.

Chris

Archived