Top Shelf Aquatics

29g Questions

pillow

8 months? Even if I take water from an already established 400 gallon? Dang, man.

The Halide comes with its own reflector, just so you know. Think a couple of 4" fans will do for cooling?

Also, does anyone know if Glasscages has a frameless option for its tanks? Or will I be able to cover the black strips with the canopy and tank? Thanks :)

nah dude, 8 months seems a little long, but, LR, not water, is the most important factor.

A couple fans will do fine, just have 1 blowing in, and one out.

Your canopy should cover the bracing, on the top and bottom, if it does not, just add some decrative moulding to cover it up.

Maybe, but I still don't see why you'd need a Sump for such a small system. Wouldn't HOB stuff work just as well?

HOB= Loud, Ugly, and not trustable, IME. A sump is a good idea, no matter what size the system is. The more water you can get away with, the better. Plus, it's just so much easier to top off, test etc...

Before I forget, would it be okay for me to put the Softies near the tank sides? It's a 30" with only the MH so I'm thinking there's bound to be dark spots.

The Aqua Clear about 13.5x7x9, so all I really need is a few inches clearance in the back.

The Remora is 18" tall, but I think the intake would fit in the Aqua Clear.

This is what I *think* the tank back would look like:

With a 20K, you don't really need to hide your softies, just make sure you put them on the sanbed to start, and slowly give them more, and more exposure. Another thing is, you are'nt gonna have dark spots, annywhere, especially with a canopy.

D

I'm probably getting LR and water and sand from a very established tank...(imagine just taking a slice of the tank for mine) Also, I thought a single halide only covers a 2'x2' radius...am I correct?

I was looking at a HOB Fuge, around 8g total. Would this work for a fuge or is it no better than a modded HOB? I'm afraid drilling's out. I'm really at odds about this. Anybody want to give me some details about holes/overflows what I'd need?

At the moment all I picture is 1 out, 1 in, but for some reason I don't think that would work. :huh:

One halide is fine for a 29g. Otherwise for larger tanks yes, the rule of thumb is one per 2x2.

Fuge: more space, more water = better.

Holes, dunno. All you really need is one out, the back in can just come back over the top. Probably plan on drilling for at least a 1" or 1.5" baffle.

And I thought I was being generous on the time frame of 8 months. Most suggest at least a year. Plus it sounds like you need some more experience before you jump up to sps and clams (dependant on learning curve, tank stability etc.).

Agreed, I do most likely need more experience.

Only reason that I suggested those is because I did not think that Softies could take the lighting.

ethan29nano

do a 1" hole for your overflow , and plump the returns over the top of the tank....Oh btw , My 29 has sevral sps in it , I added some 3 months after cycling and they cant be any better...But a rule of thumb is atleast 6 months for clams and sps.....

So would 1 hole for out and a pipe for return do the trick? That's it?

Also, I plan on purchasing this refugium, adding a good extra 20g or so :):

post-19011-1142474904_thumb.jpg

ethan29nano

you could easily make your own and save some serious cash...On my 29 I have a 10g aga , aqua c urchin , cubicle of chaeto , and my mag 7 return...

I know, but I'd really rather go with something that's been made by someone who knows what they're doing :P

'Sides, I'm at a complete loss at things like baffle spacing and such.

just outta curiosity, how much does that fuge go for? The ones I have seen around here, that are just like that, cost $200-400, that's a joke! You can get baffles cut @ Home Depot, buy a 10 AGA, save yourself space, and cash!

D

for lighting, you should go with the 36" sunpod (not the 30") because that way you can have 2 150w hqi's instead of just the 1 on the 30". that is 300W of metal halide lighting. oooooohhhhhh. lol B)

for lighting, you should go with the 36" sunpod (not the 30") because that way you can have 2 150w hqi's instead of just the 1 on the 30". that is 300W of metal halide lighting. oooooohhhhhh. lol B)

I was actually thinking about doing that with my 29 gallon. We should give it a try.

Refugium is about $100 + shipping, although you have to put it together yourself.

The Sunpod is about $300, whereas the Retro is $130, so I'm going with the Retro ;)

Refugium is about $100 + shipping, although you have to put it together yourself.

The Sunpod is about $300, whereas the Retro is $130, so I'm going with the Retro ;)

man, what a ripoff! (the fuge, I mean) Talk about mark-up!

D

the one you posted a pic of! Have you ever worked with Acrylic? The slightest misalignment, or mess up, that thing is history, plus, think about how cheap/easy it is, to make one out of a 10AGA.

D

Archived