Pod Your Reef

29g Questions

pillow

I decided to forego all of the all-in-one systems due to the cracking possibilities/difficulty upgrading.

Now I'm interested in a 29g Glass (30x12.5x18). I plan on doing a Reef with:

2 Percula Clowns

1 Yellow Watchman Goby

Currently I'm leaning toward LPS and Softies, but I don't want to limit myself in the future. Should I go with a 150w or 250w MH? Note that I won't be using any supplemental lights either.

I plan on using an AquaClear 500 (with refugium mod) along with two Maxi-Jet 900s in the display. As of yet I am unsure about a Skimmer. I was leaning toward an Aqua C Remora, but this creates another question:

How do I use HOB filtration with a canopy without leaking excessive light? Is it even possible?

150w or 175w will do plenty. Chose which of those wattage by which bulb color you want (some of the DE and mogul bulbs just look different), so that will be the deciding factor if you're not going with supplemental lights.

I have a 29g with the same setup you are planning. I have not had any issues with the light leaking out and I have an open top with an orbit 130w pc lights. with a canopy you will probally only have light shining on the back wall and shouldn't be too noticeable.

I am going with a 20,000K 250w (if not, 150w, and that seems a little low, and the cost is barely different) no supplemental lighting. I thought that such high-intensity lighting would look terrible with any leaks from the back...so am I doomed to a sump?

And, just out of curiousity, can I hang the Remora on the Aquaclear?

if you are going to build a canopy, set up a slightly larger deflector on the rear of it, should stop most of the light leaking, and it really shouldn't be that big of a problem anyway.

before you go w/ HOB, you might wanna price out what a couple drilled returns + drain, and an internal overflow will cost you. WELL WORTH IT!

Another thing is, your softies will hate you for that much light, make sure you get them used to the intense light, slowly.

D

Well, the tank is being ordered from Glasscages, if that matters. I know they do drilling, but its something around $20 per hole, which seems a mite pricey...

Then I'd need to purchase a refugium and skimmer, which would run me $200 or so, totalling up to around $700, and I could get a much bigger tank for really the same price :/

Well, the tank is being ordered from Glasscages, if that matters. I know they do drilling, but its something around $20 per hole, which seems a mite pricey...

Then I'd need to purchase a refugium and skimmer, which would run me $200 or so, totalling up to around $700, and I could get a much bigger tank for really the same price :/

that's not that bad, most places that put an o/f in, will do the 2 returns, and a drain hole for nothing.

a 10 AGA runs you $5-$10 as far as a sump goes, I love my skimmer, and it was $40.

I guess to each his own! :)

D

But I'm assuming I'd need two holes, which would cost me $40...

With a $10 AGA Sump with two baffles for a refugium area...

What's this $40 Skimmer you're talking about? :huh:

But I'm assuming I'd need two holes, which would cost me $40...

With a $10 AGA Sump with two baffles for a refugium area...

What's this $40 Skimmer you're talking about? :huh:

You do not HAVE to get returns drilled! You can have them come over the back-top of the tank, (actually better that way, so water will not siphon back down, allowing you to keep the water level in your sump higher) and like I was saying, the 3 places I got my 29 quoted from, all said they would do the return and drain holes for free, if you buy an internal overflow.

Baffles cost nothing, and you can get them cut @ Home Depot, along with some silicone, to adhere them.

The skimmer is a Coralife SS65, Needle Wheel. You can get them online anywhere for about $80-$90. I found mine used. Click on my banner, and check out my tank thread if you would like to see some pics, and examples.

D

A sump will help with water stability. Nobody needs one. HOB will do fine, but in terms of skimmers, in sump models are the better choice.

Well, I plan on keeping a light bio-load (3 fish seems okay...?) and frequent maintenance, so would it be passable, I'm asking? The Aquaclear Fuge and C Remora.

Sure, it sounds fine, might want to check the dimensions on the aquaclear and the remora to make sure it will all fit on the back of the tank (I can't remember, but I think some of those aquaclear fuge's get big).

Before I forget, would it be okay for me to put the Softies near the tank sides? It's a 30" with only the MH so I'm thinking there's bound to be dark spots.

The Aqua Clear about 13.5x7x9, so all I really need is a few inches clearance in the back.

The Remora is 18" tall, but I think the intake would fit in the Aqua Clear.

This is what I *think* the tank back would look like:

post-19011-1142289017_thumb.jpg

MarineManiac

you can't hang the remora on your aqauclear. no way. there not that wide. you'll have plenty of room on a 30" tank to set them next to each other. there wouldn't be enough flow in the HOB to support the remora.

All right, then. I could just do a normal HOB Aqua C Remora next to the Aqua Clear.

Another question I have is about reflecting inside canopy. Is there any thing I should do to the inside to reflect light? Paint it white, or what?

In addition to this, would SPS and Clam(s?) in the middle and Softies on the sides work? (As there should be 3" of low light on each side)

Also, how hard are SPS and Clams? What do I need to do besides bare minimum water changes and top-off? I'm utterly confused as far as Calcium and such x_x

White paint on the insides. Some sort of parabolic reflector for the halide. With a 250 you can put anything anywhere. You'll probably want a few fans in the canopy to deal with the heat.

Give it at least 8 months to mature and then I'll tell you about sps and clams. ;)

White paint on the insides. Some sort of parabolic reflector for the halide. With a 250 you can put anything anywhere. You'll probably want a few fans in the canopy to deal with the heat.

Give it at least 8 months to mature and then I'll tell you about sps and clams. ;)

8 months? Even if I take water from an already established 400 gallon? Dang, man.

The Halide comes with its own reflector, just so you know. Think a couple of 4" fans will do for cooling?

Also, does anyone know if Glasscages has a frameless option for its tanks? Or will I be able to cover the black strips with the canopy and tank? Thanks :)

Archived