Pod Your Reef

Notching 1/4" plexi for strainer.

reefphreak

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

id go closer to the top and side edges a little bit...like 1.5 inches from each, not 3". Just a side question...are you putting the intake on the same side as the output?

wow, something looks wierd about that pic.... like either that's not an 1 3/4" hole (looks smaller) or that is not 3" on center (looks more).

Ya, phreak I would move it up higher... don't have to go over to the side edge more but ya could. Hmm, did I do my math wrong?

I was telling you to put the edge of the hole 1 3/4" from either edge and wet says 1.5... only quarter inch diff... but even then looking at your pic that seems like even more than what you need. Hell, while we're at it... bump the bulkhead up till the plastic ring on it is just below the level of the black trim on tank. (and yes, I would really do that if yer wondering...hehe)

(Liz postin' while I'm typin again...lol)

Ah ha... I know one reason that looks off to me..... you have the ply piece sitting against the edge of trim. I was not thinking like that but instead the very top edge of tank... this will bump your hole up (how wide is the trim on a 29?) another 1 1/8" or so?

:woot: Works for me! Nice job Mr. phree-kay!

And what the.... dood yer drain hole is on the BOTTOM bottom. Nothing wrong with that but just not what I was thinking...especially since you were asking about two holes and was the tank strong enough and all.... you know, TWO holes in the same piece of glass. Oh well...lol Looks good!

Paint it (if ya are), plumb it and set that thing up. (bet yer dieing to drill more holes huh?...lol)

dont listen to liz, she thinks any hole is sexy...good job though.

But I have a Q now too. Has anybody seen the 5 pc. diamond hole saw set on ebay for $50. I wa wondering if anyone else has used these. Just that I wonder if the quality is up there considering they cost only $50, and most bits would cost that much for one or two. Otherwise the set has a .5", 1", 1.25", 1.5", and a 2"...all the sizes one would want. I have some already, but hey...LOVE THOSE HOLE SAWS!!!

Originally posted by reefphreak

Where can I drill more holes ? I want to drill more holes. I love this diamond bit.

I know what you mean! Someone was asking about drilling a 10 (can't remember who) I was thinking I have a 10....I could try it. I have no reason to do it.......but I could try it. :P

When my betta dies I might drill his 5.5 for a fuge for The Toilet. It really NEEDS a fuge. ;)

I made a trip to Home Depot this morning and got some pvc pipie and some fittings. Now is the fun part after standing in the isle for about a half hour I can start fitting everything and start cutting. Any opinions are more than helpful. This tank will be very easy to plumb up. I have to put in my corner overflow yet also. I'm waiting on Tap Plastics to send me the cement I need for the plexi.

Hi Liz... No baffles and yes that is my drain... I'll take a pic from the rear for ya. :) Not all is cemented yet. I'll cement the rest when it is ready for water. I didn't put baffles because all i wanted was an open sump for my heater and adding chemicals and extra water to keep my water level up. I am probly gonna add a top off to the sump after because I have two float switches from Grainger just sittin around.

Whew! I was worried I thought you forgot them! :)

You'll have to be very carefull that valve doesn't get junk in it or you'll be up the creek without a paddle. Can your tank hold the full volume of water in the sump if your overflow side get clogged? If not you might want to consider putting a pump partition in the sump the voulume that that main tank will hold. You see what I'm saying?

Archived